Road trip to France (Taycan GTS Sport Turismo)

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
I promised to provide a write-up of my recent trip to France, so here goes:

Practicality
There were 4 adults in the car, travelling for a boating holiday on the rivers & canals near Dijon, and the car impressively fitted a decent size bag each, plus various additional bags with provisions, games etc. There was still more space in the car for extra bags too.

I bought the Sport Turismo to replace my RS4 Avant and it easily passed its first real test.

Comfort and driving
My car has the 18-way seats which i find very comfortable, as did everyone who sat in the front during the trip. However the same was true for those in the rear, even when sitting behind me (I’m 6’2”) there was no complaint of being cramped. Stops were scheduled around charging points, not because people needed to get out and stretch their legs!

We spent the majority of the time in Normal mode, so a fairly relaxed set-up and with Sports sound off and the acoustic glass, the interior was very quiet, even at 130kmh+ on the French autoroutes. The car is super easy to drive on motorways and with ACC it is a relaxing and effortless experience.

I had downloaded a free trial of Innodrive, so it was interesting to experiment with this (I had already been using it for a while before this trip), although I won’t be paying to keep it once the trial has ended. The lane keep assist is very clever, but the fact that you have to keep tweaking the wheel every 20-30 seconds means it is nothing like the Tesla Autopilot, and is not something I’ll miss when the trial ends. That said, I bought the car to drive, not to be a passenger in, so this isn’t something I’m bothered by.

Practical issues
It was easy to change the units from miles to kilometres and the lights changing automatically when driving on the continent is a useful feature.

Charging
Thanks to the advice on here, I had a good idea of where I wanted to stop en-route, and I was keen to maximise charging at Ionity chargers, given the Porsche charging card provides discounted rates.

Charge #1
I briefly used the Tesla charger at Folkestone to top up to 100% before getting on the Shuttle, to maximise flexibility for the rest of the trip. This was my first experience of using a Tesla charger and it worked seamlessly in conjunction with the app. There were plenty of spare stalls, but it was around 6am!

Charge #2
We stopped at Ionity Baralle which was very quiet and the Porsche charge card worked seamlessly. A quick toilet and drink stop and we were back on our way with >90% charge. We were the only car charging (c. 10:30am).

Charge #3
We stopped at Ionity Champfleury which was also fairly quiet, with just 1 other stall being used (12.30pm) and again the Porsche chargecard worked seamlessly. We had a quick lunch here and the car was at 100% when we were ready to leave.

Charge #4
We stopped at Ionity Langres-Perrogney with the intention of adding sufficient charge to get to the destination and back again. Once again, the Porsche charge was seamless and charging was at 150kw+. There was one other car charging when we were there (3.30pm).

Charge #5
Prior to our return trip, I decided to drive to a nearby Fastned charger, as I had some spare time and wanted to test out the app. Fastned (Aire de Pont Chene d’Argent) has a great set-up with loads of room to park the car and fast chargers. Using the app was extremely easy and I was the only car there (3.30pm).

Charge #6
We stopped at Ionity Langres-Noidant where 3 out of the 4 stalls were being used (10:30am). we initially went the wrong way and nearly missed the chargers, having to do a U-turn back through the lorry park the wrong way!)
Unfortunately the charger just wouldn’t connect to the car and despite Ionity re-booting the stall (and asking me to unlock my car, wind down all of the windows and then put them back up!!) it still did not work. Someone else (VW ID4) was having similar issues with another stall. After 1pm ins or so, one of the other chargers became free and I was able to charge without issue. Interestingly an EV Mustang was able to charge at the stall where the ID4 could not, and there was a BMW hybrid that was able to charge where I could not.
Ionity were very apologetic about the problems I was experiencing.

Charge #7
Another stop at Ionity Champfleury (1.05pm) while we had lunch, got us back to 100% and sufficient charge to make it back to Calais. Although lunchtime, there were still only 2 chargers being used when we arrived.

Charge #8
Rather than use the Tesla chargers at Eurotunnel, Calais, we decided to make a quick stop at Fastned (Aire de Sant Hilaire Cottes) for a toilet stop, which then provided sufficient charge to get to our destination in the UK without needing any further stops. The Fastned charger was again easy to use with the app and has plenty of space to park without encroaching on the other stalls.

With the one exception, charging was a seamless experience, and on only one occasions were the stalls close to full. In part this will be because we were travelling in a Wednesday and I suspect that things could be more problematic at weekends.

Other
The Emovis tag made the toll roads extremely straightforward - in the majority of cases the green light came on well before we arrived at the barrier and we went through without issue. On one occasion we stopped close to barrier but the light did not come on. Based on previous experience, we thought we were too close, and as there was no traffic, we reversed back to try again. As it turned out, we had not actually got close enough to this particular barrier and as we went further on, the green light came on and the barrier opened. We learnt from this for future toll booths!

Overall
The Taycan continues to impress and I’m very pleased with the choice I made. The car handles beautifully and the Porsche DNA is clear to see. That said, the car is big, wide and heavy, so while the high power/torque can compensate to some extent, it isn’t a sports car. Sports sound or not, you just don’t have the emotional sounds and involvement that you do with an ICE car, so I’m hoping to get another GT3 to satisfy the requirement for fun weekend drives.

Happy to answer any other questions about the trip!
:like:

Porsche Taycan Road trip to France (Taycan GTS Sport Turismo) IMG_1514
Sponsored

Mats

First Name
Mats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 4S cab, CT 4S Gentian Blue
Country flag
As you wrote about using the card or apps while charging. Didn't the plug and charge work?

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As you wrote about using the card or apps while charging. Didn't the plug and charge work?
The truth is that I didn’t try! Holding the Porsche chargecard against the machine wasn’t too much of a hardship, but I will ensure Porsche Plug & Charge is activated for next time!

However, doesn’t this sometimes mean you pay higher charges because of the way the priving works?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think so as the card and car supposedly are connected to the same discounted Ionity account.
Does it only work with Ionity?

Mats

First Name
Mats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 4S cab, CT 4S Gentian Blue
Country flag
No, with several other operators too. Altough, I'm not sure if with all that are shows in the My Porsche/PCM charge planner.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Does it only work with Ionity?
Technically it works on any charging network that supports both Plug & Charge and Porsche Charging Service. In practice, this seems to mean IONITY only at the moment. I'm going to test if it works on the Porsche chargers at Porsche Centres on my own upcoming road-trip.

I rely on Plug & Charge at IONITY all the time.

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I charge most of the time at home, maximising the use of solar, where possible. For longer trips to Cornwall, Gridserve offers the most convenient solution, so I tend to use the one at Solstice Park.

For other journeys, I will try to target Ionity for the cheapest cost if it doesn‘t add too much time/distance to the journey - I did use the one in Cullompten on a visit to Devon :swear: recently.

Last edited:

kurand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, Lotus Elise S1
Country flag
When I went to La Rochelle a few weeks ago, I tried plug ‘n charge at each stop. Out of 10 charges, it worked exactly once at an Ionity charger. The Porsche charge card worked everywhere, even at the FastNed charger I used near Rouen. Ionity is, of course, much cheaper than FastNed and in my experience tends to charger faster too.

A couple of weeks before that, I popped oop norf where plug ‘n charge worked perfectly at Porsche Center Sheffield.

Beattie

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your experience. It’s something I would like to do sometime. It would seem far more seamless in Europe than in the UK. What range were you getting on average when topping up to 100% with all 4 up?

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your experience. It’s something I would like to do sometime. It would seem far more seamless in Europe than in the UK. What range were you getting on average when topping up to 100% with all 4 up?
About 220miles max, but the car had only done Less than 1,000 miles before the start of the trip, and I tend to drive quite ‘positively’, rather than worry about range…:rock:

Beattie

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
About 220miles max, but the car had only done Less than 1,000 miles before the start of the trip, and I tend to drive quite ‘positively’, rather than worry about range…:rock:
I actually think that’s quite good considering you were 4 up. I agree about not buying the car for efficiency/range. You just don’t want to be charging up all the time if the range is too short. I need to stop regularly to use the facilities so would always aim to charge at the same time!

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I actually think that’s quite good considering you were 4 up. I agree about not buying the car for efficiency/range. You just don’t want to be charging up all the time if the range is too short. I need to stop regularly to use the facilities so would always aim to charge at the same time!
That's exactly what we did - you can add a lot of charge in just 10-15mins with the High Power chargers.

Last edited:

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Very interesting info, have just booked a hotel in Gstaad, Switzerland for a few days in the week before Xmas, will be travelling down from West Lancashire via Eurotunnel. Thinking might travel down and stop ver in a hotel near the Eurotunnel and set off early am on to the train.

Wondering if I can get away with my summer tyres and just carry snow chains…hmm food for thought.
Sponsored