wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I would replace that tomorrow- it would drive me batty. Although everyone's tolerance is different. I have on my passenger side and it drives me nuts. It wouldn't spread if repaired, but looks awful.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hmmm so all those insured share the $4.5k x (number of high end cars insured) x (number of windshield replacements per vehicle over lifetime) cost. Would be best for everyone if insurance companies offered a discount to customers with windshield protective film, similar to having theft and accident/injury prevention devices.
Arizona here - the windshield protective film (WPF) on my wife's 2022 Audi Q3 only has a one-year warranty. Couldn't find anything longer (it's on windshield #3, BTW).

I think insurance companies in AZ don't embrace WPF because cheaper brands that bubble, peel, or yellow could affect a vehicle's safety and other windshield-dependent systems ... ?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Arizona here - the windshield protective film (WPF) on my wife's 2022 Audi Q3 only has a one-year warranty. Couldn't find anything longer (it's on windshield #3, BTW).

I think insurance companies in AZ don't embrace WPF because cheaper brands that bubble, peel, or yellow could affect a vehicle's safety and other windshield-dependent systems ... ?
Don't go cheap :)! To be serious, STEK is top notch.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I have Stek on my E-Tron GT which is the same as the Taycan.
It saved me multiple times and should be required off the lot IMO.

Problem as other have mentioned is the distortion. This happens on the curved parts of glass.
Stek has also pulled it off the market for now. We believe it's due to a revamp. The distortion also gets worse after extensive sun exposure and has been known to be dangerous.

Regardless its Worth the flaws to have to protect the windshield

Last edited:

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I have Stek on my E-Tron GT which is the same as the Taycan.
It saved me multiple times and should be required off the lot IMO.

Problem as other have mentioned is the distortion. This happens on the curved parts of glass.
Stek has also pulled it off the market for now. We believe it's due to a revamp. They distortion also gets worse after extensive sun exposure and has been known to be dangerous.

Regardless its Worth the flaws to have to protect the windshield
Interesting as I am not seeing any distortion and have more than enough high heat light exposure here in Houston.

BUT when I had this first installed, by a very high end shop here, there were imperfections and I had them reinstall as they agreed it was an installer issue not the material.

Installation on the broad/wide and curved Taycan windshield is indeed quite intimidating for any less experienced tech and if you have any say, try to get the best most experienced tech to do it on your car to minimize any potential for distortion.

My second install crystal clear.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
That’s totally repairable.
Pick up a Permatex windshield repair kit ($12-15) and do it yourself. Any auto parts store keeps them in stock.

The results are professional quality. If you get to it before it grows much larger, you may even avoid a windshield replacement.

I always keep a kit in the car.
Agreed, get a repair kit on Amazon. You need a sunny day or a uv lamp to cure the resin but they usually work really well and I'm always amazed how they fill the cracks.

shannond

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Living in Arizona, rock chips are a common occurrence. Arizona requires auto insurance companies to offer windshield replacement coverage at a fairly low cost. They will fix or repair at no cost to the insured. My replacement cost was $4500 at no cost to me! This was all done at the dealership with factory parts and calibration.
6 months in and I picked up one that spread like crazy. Which dealer and what was your turnaround time?

Wrtflyr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I went to Porsche North Scottsdale, who is a Pensky owned dealer. Pensky has their own glass replacement company that I believe might be affiliated with Safeflight. It took 2 months to get the windshield from Germany. Once the glass was here they kept my car 2 days to wait for their technician to fit me in to recalibrate all the safety systems. My Taycan has the technology package so I had numerous systems that needed to be recalibrated. when I picked her up everything worked perfectly! The days of having your windshield replaced in your driveway are over!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I went to Porsche North Scottsdale, who is a Pensky owned dealer. Pensky has their own glass replacement company that I believe might be affiliated with Safeflight. It took 2 months to get the windshield from Germany. Once the glass was here they kept my car 2 days to wait for their technician to fit me in to recalibrate all the safety systems. My Taycan has the technology package so I had numerous systems that needed to be recalibrated. when I picked her up everything worked perfectly! The days of having your windshield replaced in your driveway are over!
That's why I have windshield protection film!

ThumbsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan Turbo S; ‘20 Taycan Turbo (gone)
Country flag
I had a similar experience with a rapidly spreading crack caused by a rock. Replaced by Indianapolis Porsche dealership‘s repair shop. Nearly six week wait for parts and two day wait for replacement. Very pleased with the outcome.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
You can get glue that may make it invisible. Windshield repair co use it as well. I had good luck repairing one myselg.
Because it's in the field of vision may need to replace it.

JAXASD12

First Name
jAMIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MAZDA 2
Country flag
Got a pretty bad rock chip in my windshield. Luckily I have the windshield protection plan and plan on replacing the windshield but I wanted to wait until the winter season is over before replacing so I asked Porsche dealership if they can just repair it for now to prevent worsening but they said they can’t repair it and can only replace based off this picture. Do you guys think it can be repaired? If so, should I bring it somewhere else to repair for now until the winter is over and then get it replaced?
93B71EA1-54B7-438B-9B9C-E1813AE80C35.jpeg
I'm sorry to hear about the rock chip in your windshield. It's always frustrating when unexpected damage occurs to your vehicle, but it's great to hear that you have a windshield protection plan in place.

As for repairing the chip, it's hard to say without seeing it in person. However, if you're looking for a more affordable and convenient option, you might want to consider a do-it-yourself windshield repair kit. These kits can often fix minor chips and cracks and prevent them from spreading further.

You can find a variety of do-it-yourself windshield repair kits on Crack Eraser's website at https://crackeraser.com/collections/diy-windshield-repair-kits. Keep in mind that not all chips can be repaired with a kit, so if you're unsure, it's always best to get a professional opinion.