Setting charging timer

OldCad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST
Country flag
I’m due to move into a rental property for a few months whilst we have work done to a house we have bought. I will have to charge from a 3pin plug as there isn’t a charge point on the rental property. I’ve just found out that the house is on Economy 7 so I can charge cheaply for 7hours a day (00.30hrs to 07.30hrs).

Obviously I don’t want to pay for the higher rate when I plug it in. Is there a way to programme the car to start at these times? I can only see a scheduled depart time which would mean it would be charging from the moment I plug it in (say 22.00hrs).

If not possible can I use a 3pin plugin Timer? 2.1kW seems a bit high to me for one of these type chargers.
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Best bet is to set a timer with a departure time at 7:30 with your desired target charge (e.g. 85%).

You do not need a profile. Profiles will not help your here.

The car will start charged based when needed to reach the target charge at your departure time. If it needs two hours, it will start two hours before departure time. If it needs 12 hours, it will start 12 hours before.

No good ways to prevent it from starting before your desired time.*

I have, in the past, suggested a 2nd timer set to 25% for the starting time, but I don’t know if it actually works. I’ve had mixed results trying it myself.

*edit: no good way using car settings.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I’m due to move into a rental property for a few months whilst we have work done to a house we have bought. I will have to charge from a 3pin plug as there isn’t a charge point on the rental property. I’ve just found out that the house is on Economy 7 so I can charge cheaply for 7hours a day (00.30hrs to 07.30hrs).

Obviously I don’t want to pay for the higher rate when I plug it in. Is there a way to programme the car to start at these times? I can only see a scheduled depart time which would mean it would be charging from the moment I plug it in (say 22.00hrs).

If not possible can I use a 3pin plugin Timer? 2.1kW seems a bit high to me for one of these type chargers.

Step 1 set a profile with minimum charge level say 40%
Then in that profile set preferred charge time to economy 7 hours.

The profile will charge immediately to the minimum charge level you have set and then resume charging during the preferred hours.

Step 2
Set a timer with your departure time and charge level say 80% at 07.30am on date x. This will stop the car charging at the soc and time you set.

Hopefully I have got that right but watch the Porsche Spot On video on profiles and timers and Sabina will explain all.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

3 pin plug charging is the least preferred option (glacial charging speeds - so be prepared!) and do not plug into a timer plug.

As mentioned by @Speuk - use the My Porsche App to programme timer events for your off peak period. Don't under estimate how slowly the car will charge - 0.1 mile / minute at best (42 miles in 7 hours !!!).

Set a daily timer (to force the charging session to end) and a profile - similar to:

Porsche Taycan Setting charging timer Daily Timer.PNG

Porsche Taycan Setting charging timer Profile - Preferred Charging Time

OP
OP

OldCad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. I’ve actually done my first proper journey in her today and am very disappointed! I px’d my Taycan RWD for this new 4S ST and I miss that one. Seem to be getting a lot of issues and TBH I think I’m going to move her on. Real shame.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. I’ve actually done my first proper journey in her today and am very disappointed! I px’d my Taycan RWD for this new 4S ST and I miss that one. Seem to be getting a lot of issues and TBH I think I’m going to move her on. Real shame.
That's a shame but you'll be among the minority on this forum. Typically a 4S Vs RWD would have a different outcome. Handling and performance alone would seal the deal.

OP
OP

OldCad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST
Country flag
That's a shame but you'll be among the minority on this forum. Typically a 4S Vs RWD would have a different outcome. Handling and performance alone would seal the deal.
The issue for me is that I never had range anxiety in my RWD and had hoped that with the performance battery I’d get at least the same. However, 200miles is poor range when we go away for the weekend and 79p per kW is ridiculous (a lot of the super fast chargers now at that rate); that’s £70 for 200 mile (35p per mile) , on a £100k plus car. I think the IONITY chargers are marvellous and cheap but there just aren’t enough of them in the UK.
For comparison my ruinous Continental GT was 31p per mile on the same journey! And the Rapide S is 27p per mile….

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The issue for me is that I never had range anxiety in my RWD and had hoped that with the performance battery I’d get at least the same. However, 200miles is poor range when we go away for the weekend and 79p per kW is ridiculous (a lot of the super fast chargers now at that rate); that’s £70 for 200 mile (35p per mile) , on a £100k plus car. I think the IONITY chargers are marvellous and cheap but there just aren’t enough of them in the UK.
For comparison my ruinous Continental GT was 31p per mile on the same journey! And the Rapide S is 27p per mile….
Performance Battery Plus or Performance Battery?

If PB then obviously consumption will be higher with the dual motor 4S.

Unfortunately the wrong time of year for doing EV range comparisons due to lower ambient.

The range will climb in time.

There are other options for ultra fast EVSEs which don't charge for both time and kW but the issue is generally a lack of presence up and down the country.

50 / 150kW EVSEs would be an obvious target and would likely see a 50% reduction in kW cost and planning different charging stops over a relatively short distance of 200 miles would smooth out additional time spent charging.

Cost of electricity is currently skewed for reasons most of us can't quite fathom and should be lower.

I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.

OP
OP

OldCad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST
Country flag
Performance Battery Plus or Performance Battery?

If PB then obviously consumption will be higher with the dual motor 4S.

Unfortunately the wrong time of year for doing EV range comparisons due to lower ambient.

The range will climb in time.

There are other options for ultra fast EVSEs which don't charge for both time and kW but the issue is generally a lack of presence up and down the country.

50 / 150kW EVSEs would be an obvious target and would likely see a 50% reduction in kW cost and planning different charging stops over a relatively short distance of 200 miles would smooth out additional time spent charging.

Cost of electricity is currently skewed for reasons most of us can't quite fathom and should be lower.

I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.
It the Performance Battery Plus - hence my surprise. It dawned on me when driving home yesterday that with a range of 200m then I’m probably going to be stopping every 150miles to ensure I have enough charge to get to a second charge point should the first have issues. Not great when you look at it that way!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It the Performance Battery Plus - hence my surprise. It dawned on me when driving home yesterday that with a range of 200m then I’m probably going to be stopping every 150miles to ensure I have enough charge to get to a second charge point should the first have issues. Not great when you look at it that way!
By springtime you'll be getting 235 - 250.

Don't forget the extra weight etc of the battery so no point in comparing to the RWD.

OP
OP

OldCad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST
Country flag
By springtime you'll be getting 235 - 250.

Don't forget the extra weight etc of the battery so no point in comparing to the RWD.
I get that, however 4-5months a year it’s very low. I’ll see how I feel in the new year but have a suspicion she’ll be going early Jan. It’s a real shame as I really expected an improvement over my old one which was al ready a great car.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I get that, however 4-5months a year it’s very low. I’ll see how I feel in the new year but have a suspicion she’ll be going early Jan. It’s a real shame as I really expected an improvement over my old one which was al ready a great car.
Your decision entirely but given there has been no change in battery tech since launch and all model years received the same software updates including the last major one "uPdate" where some marginal range increases were promised (mine dropped by 20% for the first 6 weeks post uPdate) then no reason to expect even more on a new car unfortunately (unless your SA spun you a yarn).

OP
OP

OldCad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST
Country flag
Your decision entirely but given there has been no change in battery tech since launch and all model years received the same software updates including the last major one "uPdate" where some marginal range increases were promised (mine dropped by 20% for the first 6 weeks post uPdate) then no reason to expect even more on a new car unfortunately (unless your SA spun you a yarn).
One thing I’ve noticed is that is doesn’t seem to freewheel like my RWD. I live down a long single track lane, I used to drive at 30mph to a certain point and then foot off the accelerator and coast home - assuming no obstructions we’re encountered then I’d make it back to my driveway doing 14mph which was enough to get me up the slight slope and parked. In this one it runs to a stop at less than half the distance. I get that two motors have more drag than one BUT they are supposed to coast when required. I think this is probably the biggest reason for the shorter range. Now I’ve clocked over 300miles I’ve started to get the regen braking so it will be interesting to see if this makes a difference.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
One thing I’ve noticed is that is doesn’t seem to freewheel like my RWD. I live down a long single track lane, I used to drive at 30mph to a certain point and then foot off the accelerator and coast home - assuming no obstructions we’re encountered then I’d make it back to my driveway doing 14mph which was enough to get me up the slight slope and parked. In this one it runs to a stop at less than half the distance. I get that two motors have more drag than one BUT they are supposed to coast when required. I think this is probably the biggest reason for the shorter range. Now I’ve clocked over 300miles I’ve started to get the regen braking so it will be interesting to see if this makes a difference.
Coasting is awesome in the 4S but ensure you are in Normal Drive Mode and recuperation is not enabled. In the PCM go to the Trip display to check that no drive is engaged.

Pretty sure recuperation won't make the difference to your range as it adds very little overall.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
One thing I’ve noticed is that is doesn’t seem to freewheel like my RWD.
Do you have different tires?
Now I’ve clocked over 300miles I’ve started to get the regen braking so it will be interesting to see if this makes a difference.
regen isn’t going to help it coast more.
Sponsored