Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The cable getting hot isn't what I'd worry about, it's rated for operation. It's your outlet and wall wiring that has to be OK for the continuous draw. If the cable heats up too much, there's probably a temperature sensor in the EVSE that would notice if the cable was getting too hot.
Yes, I'm sure this is the case. My electrician installed the 50 amp circuit with a wire the size of a garden hose. Since Porsche is selling their charging dock with a 25' cable that can be wrapped around the dock, there is no way they would require the user to 'unwind' the cable whenever charging the car. Worst case is probably a temperature sensor that would reduce the charging current if the wire gets too hot.
Sponsored

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
OK, so if I set my timer to 7:30 am and charge to 85% I will have 85% charge every morning at 7:30. Also I'm hearing I can setup the car to automatically heat/cool at this time??
Yep. The caveat is if you set your charging profile higher then it charges to that higher level but the timer is what will ensure it's at the temp you want when you're ready to go in the morning. As an example, my Charging Profile is set to 80%. That way no matter what is going on or what plans I may or may not have, when I plug my car in it'll go to 80%. I then have a timer that bumps the car to 85% and gets the inside to 71 degrees on the weekdays at 8:30am and weekends at 8:00am.

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes, I'm sure this is the case. My electrician installed the 50 amp circuit with a wire the size of a garden hose. Since Porsche is selling their charging dock with a 25' cable that can be wrapped around the dock, there is no way they would require the user to 'unwind' the cable whenever charging the car. Worst case is probably a temperature sensor that would reduce the charging current if the wire gets too hot.
I have not yet mounted my housing on the wall (new wall still needs finished) but I've almost always had a good amount of the 25' cable coiled on the floor while charging. Last night in fact from 15% to 100% - no issues.

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Ohhh and general caveat here... it's easy to flip the "Direct Charge" switch in the Connect app and not pay attention. That will override everything and take the battery to 100%. So keep that in mind if you're getting in the morning and scratching your head trying to understand why the car keeps ignoring the other things and fully charging.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
OK, so if I set my timer to 7:30 am and charge to 85% I will have 85% charge every morning at 7:30. Also I'm hearing I can setup the car to automatically heat/cool at this time??
Just curious...

Why would you set a timer for "every morning"? Do you need to pre-heat/cool your car? Are you trying to charge when electricity is cheapest?

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just curious...

Why would you set a timer for "every morning"? Do you need to pre-heat/cool your car? Are you trying to charge when electricity is cheapest?
I can't speak for Vim but I do it for temperature. I'd rather not get in a hot car (or cold in the winter). I don't have time based electric rates but if you do, you can manage that via the Charging Profile - timer isn't necessary. Honestly, the only thing I see the timer for is pre-conditioning the interior of the car.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can't speak for Vim but I do it for temperature. I'd rather not get in a hot car (or cold in the winter). I don't have time based electric rates but if you do, you can manage that via the Charging Profile - timer isn't necessary. Honestly, the only thing I see the timer for is pre-conditioning the interior of the car.
Got it! With a temp controlled garage pre-conditioning is not really necessary... So no timers for me!

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Got it! With a temp controlled garage pre-conditioning is not really necessary... So no timers for me!
Exactly. My garage is detached and while it is insulated it's not conditioned so it's not overly a major issue but it'll help. You can also set location based charging profiles... one for home and one for the office as an example.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Just curious...

There are a handful of us on the forum who have had our Taycans for several months and have gone through many of the teething pains that others are now going soon. Currently, I do not have the precool/heat turned on in my charging profile. There is a lot of debate on the terminology used by Porsche for minimum charge versus target, etc. For me the General Profile caused some headaches and did not achieve what I wanted to do. @louv came up with a solution with the Timer profiles, which I adopted and have had no issues with for several months. I was even able to set up the Timer profile remotely through the Connect app without triggering the problem with the 12v battery drain. I have my Timer profile set the same for each day to simplify things and to take advantage of the cheaper cost of electricity during the overnight hours. As a part of my normal routine, I plug in my car every time it is in the garage regardless of its SOC. I do the same thing with the trickle chargers on my ICE vehicles. I am sure that I could set up a General Profile too, but for me what I have is working so why complicate things.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There are a handful of us on the forum who have had our Taycans for several months and have gone through many of the teething pains that others are now going soon. Currently, I do not have the precool/heat turned on in my charging profile. There is a lot of debate on the terminology used by Porsche for minimum charge versus target, etc. For me the General Profile caused some headaches and did not achieve what I wanted to do. @louv came up with a solution with the Timer profiles, which I adopted and have had no issues with for several months. I was even able to set up the Timer profile remotely through the Connect app without triggering the problem with the 12v battery drain. I have my Timer profile set the same for each day to simplify things and to take advantage of the cheaper cost of electricity during the overnight hours. As a part of my normal routine, I plug in my car every time it is in the garage regardless of its SOC. I do the same thing with the trickle chargers on my ICE vehicles. I am sure that I could set up a General Profile too, but for me what I have is working so why complicate things.
I greatly appreciate all the work and "teething pains" you guys have been through! Thanks!

However, starting with a fresh slate, and based on all the research and experiences that have been documented, I think its far less complicated to simply ignore the use of timers unless they are needed for some reason.

While I understand that this is where you might have "ended up", and not wanting to mess with a formula that is finally working for you, I think its likely a disservice to suggest needlessly using a timer for folks who do not need them.

I'm simply going to start with a General Profile and only worry about timers if I find some need/benefit to using them. It sounds like they are not needed if all you want to do is set your charge limit to 85%...

I think its important, particularly for new owners, not to be directed toward using "timers" to hit their 85% goal if they really don't need them.

$0.02

Last edited:

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I think we need a Simplified, Beginners Tutorial to Charging. Pinned. A FAQ, too.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I greatly appreciate all the work and "teething pains" you guys have been through! Thanks!

However, starting with a fresh slate, and based on all the research and experiences that have been documented, I think its far less complicated to simply ignore the use of timers unless they are needed for some reason.

While I understand that this is where you might have "ended up", and not wanting to mess with a formula that is finally working for you, I think its likely a disservice to suggest needlessly using a timer for folks who do not need them.

I'm simply going to start with a General Profile and only worry about profiles if I find some need/benefit to using them. It sounds like they are not needed if all you want to do is set your charge limit to 85%...

I think its important, particularly for new owners, not to be directed toward using "timers" to hit their 85% goal if they really don't need them.

$0.02
I am glad that forum members have discovered different options for getting to 85%. There are some situations whether it is precool/heat, or the cheaper electricity rates available that I can achieve overnight that are more difficult with a general profile vs. a timer profile. Setting up a timer profile takes about 15 seconds longer to do than a general profile, so either is easy to do. Once set up both are automatic. Below is the difference in the electricity rates with Georgia Power.

I'm not saying that a Timer profile or a General profile is better. WIth all the confusion and lack of information from Porsche or the dealers, it is important that all options are available and explained to the forum members. We all know what is going to happen. When we hit the winter months, someone will rediscover that you can preheat the car, and we will have a new round of people who have set up General profiles and then will be surprised to learn that they could preheat with something called a Timer profile.

Porsche Taycan Setting up for charging in garage Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 12.38.34 PM

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I think we need a Simplified, Beginners Tutorial to Charging. Pinned. A FAQ, too.
Sounds like Profile for 85% and Direct for 100% to me. However, we do not have our Taycan yet.

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
I'm just old-school, technologically speaking. Yeah, that generation! So, I look at my wife's Connect App, see what the SoC is and then manually plug in and after a coupla hours, I check the SoC and disconnect when it's 85-90%. Does the job for me and I don't mind doing it.
I have Porsche Connect on my phone also for my Panamera Turbo and I'm sure I can program it to her car but, again, read 1st sentence.
Sponsored