Should I wait for the 2024 Taycan?

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I remember Rowan Atkinson, Mr Bean fame and Aston Martin fan once saying he thought the best time to buy a car was 2-3 years after its started production to allow all the problems to be ironed out, then sell just before the next iteration (Mk 2 NOT facelift). I agree, and waiting for Mk 2 is sensible, waiting for a facelift is not.

I think there is no point speculating about the facelift. Firstly absolutely no-one - and probably not even Porsche - knows the exact date until many factors are taken into account including software, parts etc. Secondly, how much does it actually matter? I bought an S class some years ago used and a facelift came out which didn’t look as good to my eyes. Its the same with this probable Taycan Facelift, it doesn’t look as good front end.

I got my new Taycan Turbo 4 weeks ago. I call it "sex on wheels". I ordered it knowing full well there was gong to be a facelift around now. Of course I would rather have the latest model, but I don’t care anymore, the car is brilliant and makes me smile every time I so much as look at it. Why wait?
Totally agree.

I can already imagine random headlights failing in the MY25, fogged up headlight covers, car hibernating and not waking up anymore... Every year comes with new bugs that need to be ironed out.

Life's too short. Drive like you stole it.
Sponsored

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '20 Stinger, '16 Pilot
Country flag
I remember Rowan Atkinson, Mr Bean fame and Aston Martin fan once saying he thought the best time to buy a car was 2-3 years after its started production to allow all the problems to be ironed out, then sell just before the next iteration (Mk 2 NOT facelift). I agree, and waiting for Mk 2 is sensible, waiting for a facelift is not.

I think there is no point speculating about the facelift. Firstly absolutely no-one - and probably not even Porsche - knows the exact date until many factors are taken into account including software, parts etc. Secondly, how much does it actually matter? I bought an S class some years ago used and a facelift came out which didn’t look as good to my eyes. Its the same with this probable Taycan Facelift, it doesn’t look as good front end.

I got my new Taycan Turbo 4 weeks ago. I call it "sex on wheels". I ordered it knowing full well there was going to be a facelift around now. Of course I would rather have the latest model, but I don’t care anymore, the car is brilliant and makes me smile every time I so much as look at it. Why wait?
I feel like half my life can be measured in round and square iPhones. Oh, we're round again? Square is old and bricky looking. Square is sleek and refined! Round just makes you wobble and drop it. Round is fun and shiny! Where am I? Who am I?

It's all so fake. You either like how something looks or you don't. I pined for a Lexus for years, until they just got super ugly to my eyes. My lord, look at BMW now. Bet those folks are glad they waited for the "facelift!" 🤣

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I feel like half my life can be measured in round and square iPhones. Oh, we're round again? Square is old and bricky looking. Square is sleek and refined! Round just makes you wobble and drop it. Round is fun and shiny! Where am I? Who am I?

It's all so fake. You either like how something looks or you don't. I pined for a Lexus for years, until they just got super ugly to my eyes. My lord, look at BMW now. Bet those folks are glad they waited for the "facelift!" 🤣
Check out the new bmw 7 series at night...

They even illuminated that grill with leds... Look at me, I'm an overgrown piglet 🐽

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '20 Stinger, '16 Pilot
Country flag
Check out the new bmw 7 series at night...

They even illuminated that grill with leds... Look at me, I'm an overgrown piglet 🐽
Hahah... I'm sure there's plenty of people who like "angry" looking cars. Actually, I'm positive there are, judging by what surrounds me here in Michigan. I'm often complimented for my taste which surprises me, but it's just because I follow my gut to what looks good to ME. Not what looks "new" or expensive to others. And honestly, so many facelifts end up in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category, if you ask me.

JonoNZ

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX M60, Audi RS3, Porsche Macan Turbo PR1X9KR5
Country flag
We’re not vocal about anything, mate. You made up a story and substantiated it with speculation from your sales person, and with a story published a week after your initial post.

Yeah, we’ve seen the spy shots (read the threads posted here around that time), and the timeline would have fit under normal circumstances.

The title of the thread is “should I wait for the 2024 Taycan” and the answer was a unanimous “no” - it’s already here.
How insulting. Nothing has been made up, just working from what is out there, my comments just reiterate that combined that with an update with my dealer. A quick Google search, for just 2023 (Jan through now) articles reveals the following news articles referring to a 2023 reveal for the facelift:

https://www.motor1.com/news/652179/porsche-taycan-facelift-spied-again/

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsc...n-spy-shots-suggest-facelift-will-arrive-year

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1137545_2024-porsche-taycan-spy-shots

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/porsche/2024-porsche-taycan-changes/

https://carbuzz.com/news/porsche-taycan-spotted-with-its-first-major-facelift

Plus the recent Carwow article.

There are many more articles in German I chose not to post as I am sure you will get the point. Also plenty of other articles that do not refer to a release date. That’s just rhe last 3 months in search search. Nothing has been made up.

I do completely agree with other contributors that absolutely enjoy your car you have, it’s amazing, and upcoming cosmetic changes sound fairly minor, could end up making it look worse, that we do not know yet. I suspect the facelift will look great too, but we’ll have to wait a few more months to decide that.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
How insulting. Nothing has been made up, just working from what is out there, my comments just reiterate that combined that with an update with my dealer. A quick Google search, for just 2023 (Jan through now) articles reveals the following news articles referring to a 2023 reveal for the facelift:
I'll tell you what's insulting: insinuating that people who do not agree with you have an ulterior motive, that somehow their cars will be devalued by even talking about facelifts. I, and others, addressed your points directly and solely based on the logical fallacies they commited.

With that said, though, I wish you good luck with whichever decision you'll end up taking. It is a great car, and will remain so post facelift - I suspect that's all we'll be able to agree upon.

JonoNZ

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX M60, Audi RS3, Porsche Macan Turbo PR1X9KR5
Country flag
I’m very sorry you feel that way. I was just responding to a thread asking about opinions on waiting for a 2024 or not. I shared my opinion based on what rumours are floating around. I think it’s good that it’s shared so others can make up their own mind. The simple facts are that neither point of view is known to be correct at the moment, only time will tell us the answer to that.

In no way were my comments meant to make anyone feel badly about owning a pre-facelift car, and if anyone feels that way please let me apologise for that. The Taycan is probably the best EV out there right now, it’s gorgeous, drives like nothing else in the EV market, and I know I want one.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
"owning a pre-facelift car"???
I would say owning a Taycan.
Not possible to own a pre-facelift one up to that facelift is on sale.
We all hope that, the ‘post-original’ car will be a nice one.😉

Last edited:

OP
OP

iSTATUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
My SA advised they still have allocations for MY23 which will require a 10% Non-Refundable deposit.

Wait time he said is ~ 6 to 9 months...... hmmmm

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My SA advised they still have allocations for MY23 which will require a 10% Non-Refundable deposit.

Wait time he said is ~ 6 to 9 months...... hmmmm
Very suspicious

The last MY23 vehicles will be the ones waiting in ports for the heater so the only way to get a MY23 in 6 months "new" would be if some buyer cancels his order (because of the excessive waiting time) but then you wouldn't be able to spec anything (already built) so very suspicious indeed.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Very suspicious

The last MY23 vehicles will be the ones waiting in ports for the heater so the only way to get a MY23 in 6 months "new" would be if some buyer cancels his order (because of the excessive waiting time) but then you wouldn't be able to spec anything (already built) so very suspicious indeed.
Could be cars about to lock, last batch of MY23's going into production. For US. 6-9 month has been the estimate from lock lately. Maybe cancelled orders, or allocations dealer was unable to move, perhaps wanting to order inventory cars and changing their mind given the market? Non-refundable 10% deposit on lock I've seen from a few dealers.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Could be cars about to lock, last batch of MY23's going into production. For US. 6-9 month has been the estimate from lock lately. Maybe cancelled orders, or allocations dealer was unable to move, perhaps wanting to order inventory cars and changing their mind given the market? Non-refundable 10% deposit on lock I've seen from a few dealers.
Maybe, I just submitted my order code as simulation and the estimate for delivery is August 2023 (if you were to order online).

most_vexing_parse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e-tron, Porsche Taycan GTS, Macan Turbo (order)
Country flag
Only one data point, but my MY23 GTS order locked on Sunday, April 23 and delivery is estimated for mid July (US).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Only one data point, but my MY23 GTS order locked on Sunday, April 23 and delivery is estimated for mid July (US).
Was this the originally expected lock date? Mine for example moved 3 or 4 times before it stuck (sometimes it moved before freeze, but mostly it froze and then unfroze).
Sponsored