Shutdowns: Taycan stranded in traffic for a long period?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Maybe timing it location. Getting a test today for my daughter and no appointment at CVS or Walgreens near me for days.
I did have to wait two days for the appointment but I hadn't the need for immediacy. I was ill, I knew what it was and getting tested was just a confirmation of what I already knew.
Sponsored

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
must be, I wouldn't spend 3 hours for a test when I can get the same thing in minutes.
do you shun 350kw chargers in favor of L2 units as well?
If there aren't any 350kw chargers available for the next 3 days and all at-home charging is unavailable as well, then yes.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
It's a user mistake (Reuters).
You need to keep the car ON, not switched OFF (press start button long), then you're fine until BAT dies.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wow. That's an awful situation. I hope nobody was injured or had medical issues during that horrific storm.

I will quit complaining about my winter commute right now, thank you. :)

BTW if anyone's interested to see how the Taycan performs under extreme Arctic-like conditions, see my recent post:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...2022-stuttgart-strikes-back.8584/#post-122802
My 80-year old parents slept in their Subaru overnight. They were fine, although plenty cold and bored. Always full of adventures!

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Wow. That's an awful situation. I hope nobody was injured or had medical issues during that horrific storm.

I will quit complaining about my winter commute right now, thank you. :)

BTW if anyone's interested to see how the Taycan performs under extreme Arctic-like conditions, see my recent post:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...2022-stuttgart-strikes-back.8584/#post-122802
I'll take your word for how the Taycan performs in the extreme cold.

We used to go to Canada every year for vacation when I was oh between 5 - 18 years old, but only during the summer. Loved it, but wouldn't go there during the winter on a bet ;-) I'm quite happy in Southern Arizona. I think it has gone below 0 Celsius about 4 or 5 nights so far this winter.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Afaik, it goes to Park mode after 10 or 15 minutes, then it shuts down after another 5 (or something like that).
few weeks ago, i was waiting about 30minutes in a jam because of car accident and that’s my experience.
Even while in Neural?

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Even while in Neural?
I didn't switch to N, just pressed Hold and start browsing on my phone... then I noticed when it switched to P and later on off (including lights).
It was weeks ago, I couldn't remember if I pressed On... or just put back to Drive....

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I didn't switch to N, just pressed Hold and start browsing on my phone... then I noticed when it switched to P and later on off (including lights).
It was weeks ago, I couldn't remember if I pressed On... or just put back to Drive....
Since Neutral + e-brake works for the eTron GT, I'd say there is a good chance it would work for the Taycan. Someone ought to try it out and see.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Since Neutral + e-brake works for the eTron GT, I'd say there is a good chance it would work for the Taycan. Someone ought to try it out and see.
Thx for the tip.
Will try next time.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I have not tried this, but what about stopping the car and giving the brake a hard press setting the Hold function? The car should think that you are in the car and actively waiting for traffic or whatever the hold up is....................maybe?
HOLD function disables and the car goes into park after ~20 minutes. In traffic or stopped for extended time I would just undo HOLD and re-engage.

kanthai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've tried that and it works!
Got into neutral and applied parking brake in vehicle settings, 30 mins later, everything still running, HVAC, PCM, Light etc.

As a bonus, it will go into park automatically when you open the door.

This changes how I wait at the DC station. I can use PCM all the time now. Previously, PCM and CarPlay will get interrupted at 30 min mark.

My Taycan 4S PBP consumes roughly 1% every hour with HVAC on, light off at 30C.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I've tried that and it works!
Got into neutral and applied parking brake in vehicle settings, 30 mins later, everything still running, HVAC, PCM, Light etc.
Another vote from me that this approach works!

Here are the exact steps I performed:

1. Stopped the vehicle in the location where I wanted to stay for a while.
2. Kept my foot on the foot brake to prevent the vehicle from rolling. But making sure I didn't activate "hold" function by pressing down too hard on it.
3. While keeping foot on the brake, I put car into neutral.
4. Went to Settings -> Car menu and tapped the "Parking Brake" which will flip to show "applied".
5. Lifted my foot off the brake pedal.

Car stayed active with HVAC, PCM, etc for an hour. I even had a passenger get in and out and it stayed in that mode. Opening the driver door – understandably – moves the gear position from Neutral to Parked – and cancels the "hack".

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The best way is for Porche the create a mode call camping or something similar via OTA like other EVs that can be off bur the heat on and power outlets on until the battery reach 20%, even at 20% the user can override the sy.

Ken Casa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
https://www.reuters.com/markets/com...owstorm-shuts-major-road-virginia-2022-01-04/

In theory an EV should be a more comfortable place to be than a regular ICE car – able to run its air conditioning and keep the 12V system topped up for long periods. However, the Taycan appears to shut itself down abruptly every 20 minutes or so – when not moving.

If caught in the situation described in the link – the constant shutdowns – greatly reduces comfort levels in the Taycan if it were in the same situation.

Is there any way to prevent this?
I faced this problem when I was having a meeting call in the car for long time like 1-2 hrs. If you put it in “P”, it will shutdown every 20-30 minutes. So I put it to N and it does not shutdown anymore. Just have to be careful if you are on the slope etc etc. if I am on the slope and just make sure I touch the brake
Sponsored