Showders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Plugged into a shell charger today and all was charging well but then noticed steam coming from the front drivers wheel? Should I be concerned? No smell at all and drove fine after
Sponsored

Attachments

JonasOfNorway

First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Had the same a few days ago. Ionity charger. Cold winter here, so this was the first time i have seen the battery temp go over 30dg.c. Happend right at 34dgs, and temp fell after the smoke. Car also vibrated before and after it happend. Something to do with the car going from heating to cooling maybe? -7 outside..

OP
OP

Showders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
It was extremely wet, just weird how it was all coming from one area

SebastienBeun

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 992 Carrera S
Country flag
Plugged into a shell charger today and all was charging well but then noticed steam coming from the front drivers wheel? Should I be concerned? No smell at all and drove fine after
I'm pretty sure this is perfectly normal. There is ventilation there for either the DC charger or the HV battery. While charging in the summer, you can feel hot air coming from the wheel arch as the car is charging on a DC fast charger (and hear the ventilation as well).
I assume that the steam comes from the cold outside air temperature; I wouldn't be concerned at all :)

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
It's the fan/condenser of the cooling system.
Inside the cooling system, at the evaporator, cool liquid is being made for cooling the....., you guessed right, battery!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
then noticed steam coming from the front drivers wheel?
zero emission my ass - you‘ve caught VW/Porsche in another emissions scandle - a recall will need to be issued and VW/Porsche will claim they knew nothing about it - they are really running a very small super efficient ICE motor in that vent that continues to burn gasoline to keep the fossil fuel industry happy - the ”liquid” cooled fast DC charger cables - the “liquid” is fossil fuel and it’s secretly delivered during fast charging sessions…via the cable connection on the fastDC charging side of the vehicle

this will be huge news once it breaks on the internet - we’re all going to be famous - “Porsche Taycan emits climate changing gases during supposed EV charging session - Porsche executives vow OTA update to resolve the issue, claim they knew nothing about it.”

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
It's the fan/condenser of the cooling system.
Inside the cooling system, at the evaporator, cool liquid is being made for cooling the....., you guessed right, battery!
Also, when you pre-heat the interior, warm air exhausts out the right front wheel well.

OP
OP

Showders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies! It’s not about to go up in flames then! ?

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
zero emission my ass - you‘ve caught VW/Porsche in another emissions scandle - a recall will need to be issued and VW/Porsche will claim they knew nothing about it - they are really running a very small super efficient ICE motor in that vent that continues to burn gasoline to keep the fossil fuel industry happy - the ”liquid” cooled fast DC charger cables - the “liquid” is fossil fuel and it’s secretly delivered during fast charging sessions…via the cable connection on the fastDC charging side of the vehicle

this will be huge news once it breaks on the internet - we’re all going to be famous - “Porsche Taycan emits climate changing gases during supposed EV charging session - Porsche executives vow OTA update to resolve the issue, claim they knew nothing about it.”
My snark detector just pegged.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Shouldn't that be "pre-cooled"? :)
That is what I would expect, but something is getting warm and air is moving in a 50F garage.

Edit: Changed 50C to 50F!

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
That is what I would expect, but something is getting warm and air is moving in a 50C garage.
Well in a 50 degree C garage I would assume it to be cooling rather than heating!!
Sponsored

• Haha
Reactions: Dee