So based on the new EPA "Range" are you cancelling?

Are you going to cancel your Taycan Order?

• Total voters
OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
I think that the poll should have more options, for those of us who are considering buying a Porsche BEV but haven't put a deposit down yet. I'm somewhat skeptical that the 4S will have such poor range, given some test drives posted online in the past week; if a 4S driver doesn't pretend that he's at the race track, the figures in city driving should be closer to 250 miles range on a full charge. So the range doesn't really affect my decision much. I don't think most Taycan owners will drive their cars more than 100-150 miles from home, anyway, so the given range shouldn't be a factor. I can't see getting a Taycan for long-distance driving.

My decision to wait is based on the fact that I don't want just a 4-door sedan but rather a hatchback, and I'm waiting for the Cross Turismo and the Macan BEV to come out. Also, I'm a bit leery of getting something like the Taycan the first year it's out simply because this is new territory for Porsche, and I'd rather watch to see what problems the Taycan will have the first year, and hope that they are ironed out by the second or third year. After all, the e-tron has had its share of problems.
The poll relates to the Taycan not any other car (Macan or Taycan Cross Turismo) so I disagree that there should be other options. Feel free to creat your own poll though :)
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Having read a bit about EPA simulations and safety margins and simulations, I really look forward to some real world feedback from early owners! I am not going to cancel my intentions about getting a Taycan. Looking at all the reviewers on YouTube and in text, it is most likely the Taycan will have a range of some 240 to 260 miles with the larger battery. That should be fine.

Really looking forward to hearing about the superior drive experience, build quality and comfort from early deliveries!
:like:

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
The range would be the same where ever in the world you are! EU or US or Asia...the weather and temperatures will obviously make a difference but the car is the same so I don’t think adding a country makes any difference to this poll.
In Europe the distances between cities are much shorter.
In the US, a big country, they are longer so Americans usually opt the bigger batteries and therefore range is much more of a concern...

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
It’s the same in the UK too...some people use their cars for up to 200 miles a day so range would be an issue here too.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Two points for your consideration.

1. The EPA testing protocol for BEVs is silent about regenerative braking. In the Taycan, the default behavior is that the car coasts (without regenerative braking) when the driver lets off the accelerator, because that is how sports cars normally behave. Battery charging only occurs when the driver brakes or in certain cruise control settings. That contrasts with the behavior of other BEVs, which, by default, regenerate whenever the driver lets off the accelerator. This could account for a significant difference in EPA ratings between brands.

2. Battery chemistry is everything when it comes to range and recharging, and there’s growing consensus that the batteries available around 2025 will be far superior to today’s. Taycan batteries are readily replaceable and therefore future-proofed. As quoted in Jalopnik, battery pack replacement is “’...really quite easy,’ claims Steffen König, who led the Taycan’s body design.” As someone waitlisted for a Taycan, I’m buying an amazing car with an ok battery pack, but I can upgrade to an amazing battery pack in a few years.

Last edited:

Jaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche - several
Country flag
Almost all motoring forums are now slating and bad mouthing Porsche for the 200 mile range announcement made yesterday. It seems like really odd timing - only this week were the 4S reviews posted and they were all completely positive about the car to the extent that some even said it was better than a 911!

3 days later and everyone seems to think Porsche have completely messed this one up. I must admit I am a little nervous and anxious around all this negative press now - we could end up taking delivery of early cars only for Porsche to make a major update 3 months down the line with another 100 mile range added!

Are you keeping your order or cancelling?
My concern is they launch these cars - consumption is poor given "foot on floor frequently" - then they upgrade the battery for next iteration and we are all stuck with an early version with poor battery performance.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Or contrary to other brands so far, they let you upgrade to a new pack when available .........

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Or contrary to other brands so far, they let you upgrade to a new pack when available .........
Please provide a source for this information as Porsche GB know nothing about it and have said they cannot provide this in writing...they said the Jalponik article cannot be verified.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello there,

then they upgrade the battery for next iteration and we are all stuck with an early version with poor battery performance.
I don't think so. Take a look the review link that was already posted on this forum: The battery is one big unit that is attached to the bottom of the car with 38 screws and a high voltage connector. It can be removed, repaired, upgraded with new cells (module-wise!) and replaced. For me, that is great: I bought the thing now, can drive it to my heart's desire, and if my battery would degrade too much or a really interesting new battery would be released, I could upgrade. Of course, buying a whole new complete battery unit will be very expensive (30k€? The 14kwh performance battery costs about 5k€ net). But suppose you only exchange the modules to newer modules with, say, 30%-50% higher cell capacity. Maybe that costs 20k€, because you can reuse the battery tray, wiring, management unit etc. It would not be unreasonable to upgrade your T in 5 years with 20k€ to a really long range version.

Your car will not age much at all, electric motors last forever... plus electric motors are already hyperefficient. It is hard to imagine much better motors, but not hard to imagine much better batteries. They will come, and they will only take you 38 screws and $$$$$ to install.

Cheers,
Henrik

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Hello there,

I don't think so. Take a look the review link that was already posted on this forum: The battery is one big unit that is attached to the bottom of the car with 38 screws and a high voltage connector. It can be removed, repaired, upgraded with new cells (module-wise!) and replaced. For me, that is great: I bought the thing now, can drive it to my heart's desire, and if my battery would degrade too much or a really interesting new battery would be released, I could upgrade. Of course, buying a whole new complete battery unit will be very expensive (30k€? The 14kwh performance battery costs about 5k€ net). But suppose you only exchange the modules to newer modules with, say, 30%-50% higher cell capacity. Maybe that costs 20k€, because you can reuse the battery tray, wiring, management unit etc. It would not be unreasonable to upgrade your T in 5 years with 20k€ to a really long range version.

Your car will not age much at all, electric motors last forever... plus electric motors are already hyperefficient. It is hard to imagine much better motors, but not hard to imagine much better batteries. They will come, and they will only take you 38 screws and $$$$$ to install.

Cheers,
Henrik
I do not think that will be a very efficient way for Porsche to do their development. Is that not a huge anchor around their ankles? Look at the picture of BMW development of their battery technology. The form factor changed quite a lot to get the extra efficiency. But I might be wrong. Only the future will tell

Porsche Taycan So based on the new EPA "Range" are you cancelling? 2B634B3D-3367-4D8D-A14C-37F05B38DBA2

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Regarding the form factor: I'd look at the module level, i.e. inside the battery tray. Those modules can be switched for sure. If Porsche will really offer an upgraded version, I have no clue. But it is doable and even aftermarket suppliers might venture into this business on day.
Cheers,
Henrik

ThomasDK

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3
Country flag
The BMW actually has 2 Upgrades, from 22 to 33 and now 44 kw in the same way! People are starting to chance the 5 years old battery just because of the extra range they get!

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Please provide a source for this information as Porsche GB know nothing about it and have said they cannot provide this in writing...they said the Jalponik article cannot be verified.
there’s approximately 0 chance this is true. In the purely hypothetical world in which it is true, it would almost certainly be economical to sell the car and buy a newer and all around better model.

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
At the UK launch event last week the Porsche GB Product Technician told us to expect a mixed use range of 180 miles max on a 4S with Performance Battery Pack. His exact words!
Sponsored