CAracer

First Name
Johh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes AMG GTS Mercedes GLC300, Honda CRV
Country flag
I got this message that my 12 volt battery was not charged fully and that the software update could not be completed.

I drove my car over forty miles today on the highway. Wouldn't this be enough to charge a 12 volt battery?

I appreciate any advice the forum members can add.
Sponsored

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I got this message that my 12 volt battery was not charged fully and that the software update could not be completed.

I drove my car over forty miles today on the highway. Wouldn't this be enough to charge a 12 volt battery?

Do you have a charger at home? As long as your Taycan is able to charge its high voltage battery it can take care of the low voltage battery. You don't need to drive it to make that happen:
Update your instrument cluster to display the 12V / LV battery voltage. That will tell you where you stand.
Many of the Taycan service bulletins intended for service centers and involving software updates specify "The vehicle voltage must be maintained between 13.5 volts and 14.5 volts".
Connect your Taycan to your home charger and let it charge to whatever you have set for your Charging profile.
Subsequently, when you start the car to view the PCM and initiate the update - wait for a bit: 1-2 minutes. When everything is booting up, it draws more power from the 12V battery and that shows up as reduced voltage. When everything has settled, assuming your 12V battery is reasonably well charged, you should be at or above 13.5v.

Then, fire away!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

The HV battery maintains the 12v charge and so you don't need to turn a wheel.

As pointed out check your 12v output. If not a minimum of 13.5v then there may be an issue brewing - get it checked otherwise you'll have a bigger problem to contend with.

OP
OP
CAracer

CAracer

First Name
Johh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

As pointed out check your 12v output. If not a minimum of 13.5v then there may be an issue brewing - get it checked otherwise you'll have a bigger problem to contend with.
Thank you for your help. The service adviser told me I need to drive more to charge the battery.Anyway, I was finally able to upload the over the air software.I did check the 12v battery and the voltage was 13.5v

OP
OP
CAracer

CAracer

First Name
Johh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Thank you for your help. The service adviser told me I need to drive more to charge the battery.Anyway, I was finally able to upload the over the air software.I did check the 12v battery and the voltage was 13.5v

OP
OP
CAracer

CAracer

First Name
Johh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you have a charger at home? As long as your Taycan is able to charge its high voltage battery it can take care of the low voltage battery. You don't need to drive it to make that happen:
Update your instrument cluster to display the 12V / LV battery voltage. That will tell you where you stand.
Many of the Taycan service bulletins intended for service centers and involving software updates specify "The vehicle voltage must be maintained between 13.5 volts and 14.5 volts".
Connect your Taycan to your home charger and let it charge to whatever you have set for your Charging profile.
Subsequently, when you start the car to view the PCM and initiate the update - wait for a bit: 1-2 minutes. When everything is booting up, it draws more power from the 12V battery and that shows up as reduced voltage. When everything has settled, assuming your 12V battery is reasonably well charged, you should be at or above 13.5v.

Then, fire away!
Thank you for your help. The service adviser told me I need to drive more to charge the battery.Anyway, I was finally able to upload the over the air software.I did check the 12v battery and the voltage was 13.5v That makes sense waiting for the boot up which sucks up a lot of the volts. Thanks again

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Taycan doesn't have an alternator like an ICE /petrol vehicle so driving around to charge is pointless.

12v battery charging is software controlled and relies on the main HV battery to top up / maintain charge.
Sponsored