Standard LEDs vs. Matrix LEDs

yman182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Now that they are legal in the united stated, do you guys think Porsche will unlock the functionality for people that purchased the Matrix LEDs?
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Another reason is that Porsche claims IF we ever update our laws the martix LED function will be “unlocked” by software in the US. And consider it is such a great safety feature I would get it hoping we catch up, one day....
Biden’s "build back better" infrastructure bill includes money to study this and make a decision by 2025. Hopefully they won't conclude that this would disproportionately benefit non-minorities and "rich people" (which has a very ambiguous definition by the Democratic party politicians), or they will torpedo it to grab votes for the next election.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Biden’s "build back better" infrastructure bill includes money to study this and make a decision by 2025. Hopefully they won't conclude that this would disproportionately benefit non-minorities and "rich people" (which has a very ambiguous definition by the Democratic party politicians), or they will torpedo it to grab votes for the next election.
can we please keep political “commentary” out of car discussions? I for one come here to read about the Taycan, I’m not interested in engaging in this kind of things. Thanks.

im just tired of waiting for useful tech to be available in the US, 2025 is better than never but it’s still years too late.

NYF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (not delivered yet)
Country flag
I have had similar on previous cars and then didnt have it on my model s and x. I would say that I probably missed it a bit on back roads at night, but that happened quite rarely.

Its nice, but I wouln't say its a must, if you dont drive at night very frequently.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This is the last option I am deliberating over!

I don't do much driving in the evening, and motorway journeys are maybe once a month.

I am thinking standard LEDs for me would be sufficient, and I think they have adaptive functionality too?

We have an Audi s5 at the moment with Matrix, and the functionality I really like is the auto function with it getting higher beam if there is no oncoming traffic, and then automatically dimming when a vehicle approaches - not sure if that's Matrix, or whether that's standard on Taycan but think it is!

Thoughts welcome x
You'll get the auto high beam assist if you add PDLS plus and a bit of beam spread.

Matrix non essential but once you have it you'll probably want to keep it.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
can we please keep political “commentary” out of car discussions? I for one come here to read about the Taycan, I’m not interested in engaging in this kind of things. Thanks.

im just tired of waiting for useful tech to be available in the US, 2025 is better than never but it’s still years too late.
Would love to, unfortunately the USA approval of the matrix headlights is deeply tied to politics. Or maybe you know something I don't. What is your explanation explain for how the USA will get the matrix headlights approved without mentioning politics? Divine intervention perhaps? ;)

I wish NHTSA was independent of politics and made decisions based on science and safety. Sadly, it take an act of congress (yep, politics) to even nudge the issue. There should be no reason whatsoever for matrix headlights to be explicitly mentioned in congress. NHTSA has an annual budget, testing of safety features should be covered by that, and we should have had the matrix headlights approved by now. Unfortunately, the reality is that politics is deeply involved (unless you can show me otherwise). Just like with EV incentives, NHTSA wants dedicated cash from the federal government to even start looking at the matrix headlights. All money from the federal government comes with string attached (such as EV rebates for union shops only - you really think they are better for the environment because they are build by union labor?). Welcome to the real world USA!

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
You'll get the auto high beam assist if you add PDLS plus and a bit of beam spread.

Matrix non essential but once you have it you'll probably want to keep it.
Agreed.
I wouldn't bother much if I mainly drove in town at night, and not sure how big a benefit it is on the motorway but on the roads round here it is pretty well a must have, particularly if you have had a car with excellent headlights before.
I normally keep a car I like a long time so this loss from the CT4S options is beginning to feel like a deal breaker.
As I wrote before I did a ST GTS specification since it still has (black) matrix lights, the blue has been deleted from its options too, but actually it is very much a second choice for me so I am not keen really. The Turbo isn't worth the money IMO so pretty disappointed noe.
Did I see a document listing a 12 week delay for matrix lights?

I have failed to buy a Porsche every time I have had one on my list for one reason or another over the last 30 years and the Taycan is beginning to look like it may be the next fail, 5 months after I paid a (thankfully refundable) deposit.
:(

Lars

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 C4S Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Agreed.
I wouldn't bother much if I mainly drove in town at night, and not sure how big a benefit it is on the motorway but on the roads round here it is pretty well a must have, particularly if you have had a car with excellent headlights before.
I normally keep a car I like a long time so this loss from the CT4S options is beginning to feel like a deal breaker.
As I wrote before I did a ST GTS specification since it still has (black) matrix lights, the blue has been deleted from its options too, but actually it is very much a second choice for me so I am not keen really. The Turbo isn't worth the money IMO so pretty disappointed noe.

I have failed to buy a Porsche every time I have had one on my list for one reason or another over the last 30 years and the Taycan is beginning to look like it may be the next fail, 5 months after I paid a (thankfully refundable) deposit.
Just a thought Frank, ...Night Vision Assist by way of assistance instead?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Agreed.

The smart light functions are disabled when street lighting is in the mix and at speeds less than 40mph.

On motorways the matrix really come to the fore - full beam plus several LEDs picking out road signs (less glare) as you approach.

I know you wanted additional road clearance but suggest going GTS now as winning the lottery might be easier than second guessing Porsche and availability.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Would love to, unfortunately the approval of the matrix headlights is deeply tied to politics. Or maybe you know something I don't. What is your explanation explain for how the USA will get the matrix headlights approved without mentioning politics? Divine intervention perhaps? ;)
Actually the issue behind this is that the US regulatory systems have been woefully inefficient in updating regulations. We can go into the rabbit hole of why that is, but this has been an issue since the 1970s and across the entire political spectrum. But again in my opinion (and I say that as simply my opinion not fact) a car forum should discuss things about the car, specially when political discussions tend to devolve rapidly and sidetrack the main topic.

Like my post right here! I'll go put myself in the naughty corner.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just a thought Frank, ...Night Vision Assist by way of assistance instead?
Thanks but it is a good view of approaching corners I would miss, not errant wildlife!

My current car has a night vision assist and it hasn't once alerted me to anything in the almost 4 years I have had the car. It was part of the standard spec of my current car and I didn't think it worthwhile to spend money on the Taycan for this reason.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know you wanted additional road clearance but suggest going GTS now as winning the lottery might be easier than second guessing Porsche and availability.
I am beginning to think that so now I have to reflect on whether I like the GTS enough to buy one for more than the CT 4S with a spec I like less...

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually the issue behind this is that the US regulatory systems have been woefully inefficient in updating regulations. We can go into the rabbit hole of why that is, but this has been an issue since the 1970s and across the entire political spectrum. But again in my opinion (and I say that as simply my opinion not fact) a car forum should discuss things about the car, specially when political discussions tend to devolve rapidly and sidetrack the main topic.

Like my post right here! I'll go put myself in the naughty corner.
Ok, excluding politics from this then, the only factual information we should be discussing is that matrix headlight functions are illegal in the USA. Full stop. There is nothing more to say about this matrix headlights in the USA without involving politicians and their potential future actions (or lack thereof). BUT, that doesn't give the full picture of the situation, does it?

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Adding my "wants" to a GTS is £4k dearer for a spec I don't like as much (apart from matrix lights) and to a CT Turbo it is £18k more for a spec I like but a pointless (to me) performance gain.
Sponsored