Dufferman12

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2018 9114S Targa, 1911 Model T Torpedo
Country flag
I plugged in our new Taycan in our garage and could not get the charger unplugged. I released it from the PCM, punched the release white button over and over and eventually pulled the magic release cord. Nothing happened. It would not come loose. So, Porsche had it towed to the dealership where they removed the housing to discover that the locking mechanism was stuck in the locked position. They said that the locking module (whatever that is) needed to be replaced and they ordered it (2 weeks). So, that's news to me and I wonder what we would have done if this had happened at an Electrify America site? Oh, they also scratched the car getting the plug out. Argh.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dufferman12

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nope. Car was unlocked. Dealer said that the retracting mechanism was faulty. Simply stuck in locked.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
I plugged in our new Taycan in our garage and could not get the charger unplugged. I released it from the PCM, punched the release white button over and over and eventually pulled the magic release cord. Nothing happened. It would not come loose. So, Porsche had it towed to the dealership where they removed the housing to discover that the locking mechanism was stuck in the locked position. They said that the locking module (whatever that is) needed to be replaced and they ordered it (2 weeks). So, that's news to me and I wonder what we would have done if this had happened at an Electrify America site? Oh, they also scratched the car getting the plug out. Argh.
how did they get the plug out of your car so they could tow it???

OP
OP

Dufferman12

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They couldn't. They put soap under the tires and dragged the car up the flatbed with soap everywhere. The driver did not have an dollies. Made me very nervous, but it worked. They disconnected the charger from the wall and put it and the cord through the window on the driver's side.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They couldn't. They put soap under the tires and dragged the car up the flatbed with soap everywhere. The driver did not have an dollies. Made me very nervous, but it worked. They disconnected the charger from the wall and put it and the cord through the window on the driver's side.
wow wow..that's a hell of an experience..sorry you had to see that!

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
if releasing it from PCM / white button doesn't work, there is another solution: get inside the car, and lock/unlock the car (with the key) between 5 to 7 times, then press the white button. It's not magic .... it did work when I was locked at a Ionity charger.

It would not help you here since the mechanism was not functioning in your case.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if releasing it from PCM / white button doesn't work, there is another solution: get inside the car, and lock/unlock the car (with the key) between 5 to 7 times, then press the white button. It's not magic .... it did work when I was locked at a Ionity charger.

It would not help you here since the mechanism was not functioning in your case.
As a possible alternative, one could try this: simply put the car in DRIVE...the car will NOT move ( a built-in safety measure) but it will try to unlock the charging cord. (I stumbled on this while I was desperately trying to unlock my cord once!)

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder
Country flag
There is also a manual release option as well.
The release can be found on the inside of either the driver's side or the passenger's side door. Open the door, and you'll see the release on the back side of the fender at the top. Pull the release towards the back of the vehicle. It will manually pull the release. Remove the charge cord from the charge port.

Reactions: Gru

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
There is also a manual release option as well.
The release can be found on the inside of either the driver's side or the passenger's side door. Open the door, and you'll see the release on the back side of the fender at the top. Pull the release towards the back of the vehicle. It will manually pull the release. Remove the charge cord from the charge port.
I think he did this and it didn't work.
Sponsored