Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Excellent report! Thanks

I am curious about how you did the measuring every 2 minutes. Did you set up a camera to record the dashboard and then entered it later, or did you do it manually and record it as it happened (like in verbal notes or something)? I may try to do something similar.

Also, 19C? Are you a polar bear? ;)
Sponsored

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Excellent report! Thanks

I am curious about how you did the measuring every 2 minutes. Did you set up a camera to record the dashboard and then entered it later, or did you do it manually and record it as it happened (like in verbal notes or something)? I may try to do something similar.

He lives in Canada, so yes.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I am curious about how you did the measuring every 2 minutes. Did you set up a camera to record the ...
Using timelaps feature? Gopro set to 60 sec and then in the video, read out every second frame...

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Excellent report! Thanks

Yes, stick a GoPro to the steering wheel and record the dash every 2 minutes using the timelapse function. Then enter the data into excel and clean it up. Then import into R ggplot2 graphics package for display. You could use the excel plotting functions but R is much more powerful. If you use a GoPro you will need a supplemental power pack. The really interesting part comes when you plot it it all together. The goal from the start is to produce a range vs temperature plot for the Taycan. With that you can do a bunch of other stuff.

I was comfortable at the 19C/66.2F in shorts and given the outside temps. When the temps move up, I will move the cabin temp up also.

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am curious if fast starts affect mileage in any significant measure? I suspect they do NOT.
For example, doing a full launch and getting the car up to 70mph and driving for 20 miles.
I'm guessing the drag of driving at 70mph basically overrides any slight extra heat that a full launch does. With an EV there are no pumping losses, internal engine friction increase, no turbo(sorry owners of Taycan turbo/turbo 3...), no exhaust loss, etc.

Porsche should program the car to give us full HP/Torque anytime we floor it, not just in launch mode. Honestly I would not even use that feature very often, but we have all bought over powered cars for mild usage ;). It is silly that doing freeway passing we don't have full power available for short bursts. This is a sports car after all!

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am curious if fast starts affect mileage in any significant measure? I suspect they do NOT.
For example, doing a full launch and getting the car up to 70mph and driving for 20 miles.
I'm guessing the drag of driving at 70mph basically overrides any slight extra heat that a full launch does. With an EV there are no pumping losses, internal engine friction increase, no turbo(sorry owners of Taycan turbo/turbo 3...), no exhaust loss, etc.

Porsche should program the car to give us full HP/Torque anytime we floor it, not just in launch mode. Honestly I would not even use that feature very often, but we have all bought over powered cars for mild usage ;). It is silly that doing freeway passing we don't have full power available for short bursts. This is a sports car after all!
Yes, fast starts can affect range significantly. To get fast starts you need to dump a lot of electrons very quickly into the motors. The battery only has so many electrons to go around.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

the fast starts will impact range, it takes energy to launch the car from a stop, cruising along at 70 will deliver the best balance of range/speed. of you get there fast by driving 80+ you will lose the time gained going fast to a longer charge stop. the car has plenty of pull at speed.
Sponsored