Taycan 4S tuning - hypothetically

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If I could go from 480 to 620hp all the time in my 4S, without undue wear or damage, I’d probably pay that much. But I’d need assurances on that italicized part. And honestly, the car already has more power than I can use most of the time anyway.
Sponsored

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
If I could go from 480 to 620hp all the time in my 4S, without undue wear or damage, I’d probably pay that much. But I’d need assurances on that italicized part. And honestly, the car already has more power than I can use most of the time anyway.
I don't think it can really do 620hp "all the time". It's more likely that the software change removes the 2.5 second hard limit on overboost and replaces it with a temperature-dependent variable limit. I'm guessing you can still hit a limit pretty quickly. It would be interesting to know the exact differences in real-world driving.

There is little doubt that Porsche is limiting power on the GTS and Turbo so people will pay for the Turbo S. My guess is that the GTS/Turbo/Turbo S have the exact same powertrain and that software is the only difference. (Similarly, the 4 and 4S probably share the exact same powertrain.)

It will be great to learn more as this topic unfolds over the following months and years.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I don't think it can really do 620hp "all the time". It's more likely that the software change removes the 2.5 second hard limit on overboost and replaces it with a temperature-dependent variable limit. I'm guessing you can still hit a limit pretty quickly. It would be interesting to know the exact differences in real-world driving.

There is little doubt that Porsche is limiting power on the GTS and Turbo so people will pay for the Turbo S. My guess is that the GTS/Turbo/Turbo S have the exact same powertrain and that software is the only difference. (Similarly, the 4 and 4S probably share the exact same powertrain.)

It will be great to learn more as this topic unfolds over the following months and years.
It's not just software, at least between Turbo and Turbo S. Turbo S has different front motor & electronics than Turbo. I don't have hard data on the GTS.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
No need to guess, it is in the public domain.
All 4WD models have the same front motor but the turbo S has double the inverter capacity to all the others.
The standard, 4 and 4S all have shorter rotors in the rear motor housing than the GTS, turbo and turbo S. So 2 different rear motors.

There may be other small differences but I believe that is it, so the rest is probably only software.

When I did my estimate of where the sweet spot was for me I compared continuous power (the launch power is just marketing BS IMO and never used by me anyway) against list price which showed the two standout models were the 4S and turbo.

The GTS power increment over the 4S is quite small but it has a lot of extras included, the power increment from Turbo to Turbo S is zero but it has a lot of extras included too.

In the end the GTS with the big rear rotor has a big potential and should take the extra without much concern as long as they aren’t overheating for too long, the 4 similarly, the 2WD, 4S and both turbos will be more outside Porsche’s current power envelope with the mod.

I wouldn’t do it anyway myself.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It's not just software, at least between Turbo and Turbo S. Turbo S has different front motor & electronics than Turbo. I don't have hard data on the GTS.
Only the inverter (600 amp instead of 300amp) same motor as far as the literature goes.
In any case, according to Porsche only used in launch mode.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Only the inverter (600 amp instead of 300amp) same motor as far as the literature goes.
In any case, according to Porsche only used in launch mode.
IIRC inverter electronics are part of the motor unit.

okkotonushi

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Porsche 992S, Genesis GV60
Country flag
Hi,

just talked to the tuning guy and he explained me that for every Taycan which is not a turbo/s the mod is a no brainer regarding the batteries cause his mod increases the power delivery capability to the same level as the Turbo S. Battery is therefore still used approved by Porsche.
Only thing is pricing……..

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Hi,

just talked to the tuning guy and he explained me that for every Taycan which is not a turbo/s the mod is a no brainer regarding the batteries cause his mod increases the power delivery capability to the same level as the Turbo S. Battery is therefore still used approved by Porsche.
800 bhp for GTS/Turbo/Turbo S is mentioned upthread...which would be approx. 30% up on the Turbo S's non-boost max.

CxM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
  • Increasing the maximum output of the battery power by up to 150 amperes ( "overboost function" permanently active )

So it's always on overboast? I assume it can't be adjusted, like going into sports or sports+...
How will that affect range? I assume it's going to be big decrease with no way to adjust power output.

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
  • Increasing the maximum output of the battery power by up to 150 amperes ( "overboost function" permanently active )

So it's always on overboast? I assume it can't be adjusted, like going into sports or sports+...
How will that affect range? I assume it's going to be big decrease with no way to adjust power output.
Worse case, it’s adjusted by how much you depress the accelerator pedal.

CxM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi,

Did he mention anything on range or affect on battery like temperature etc?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi,

Inverter in the Turbo S is rated for 2x the current too, vs. just Turbo, so it's a hardware limit, not just what you can pull out of the battery.

okkotonushi

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Porsche 992S, Genesis GV60
Country flag
800 bhp for GTS/Turbo/Turbo S is mentioned upthread...which would be approx. 30% up on the Turbo S's non-boost max.
That’s the reason why I said no prob for cars below turbo/s

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
That’s the reason why I said no prob for cars below turbo/s
If the 800 figure is correct, that would be a potential problem (in terms of battery management or degradation) for the GTS as well as the Turbos.
Sponsored