Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Makes sense, hence I'm wondering if the RWD and possibly 4S are leaving performance on the table at low speeds, with Porsche tuning down the ramp to peak torque vs. what is actually possible on the hardware
It’s certainly possibly. And I would guess that if the initial torque curve isn’t very flat, then that is likely the case.

I can’t remember if I’ve already mentioned it or not, but the 992 Carrera S and GTS have the same motors and turbos with the GTS’s extra power and torque coming from higher boost pressure. Like they’re holding the S back slightly. (I read somewhere that it was designed for the GTS power and then detuned for the S, but I don’t know if that’s true). And people are tuning the S far above the GTS, so I think it can handle it otherwise.

Gotta keep those performance gaps.
Sponsored

Mattyh

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
540i
Country flag
Was looking on techarts website earlier and they said they’re working on performance upgrades for the taycan

Cooler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
Was looking on techarts website earlier and they said they’re working on performance upgrades for the taycan
I saw the same thing and there is also other sites/tuners claiming this.

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
It all comes down to some tuner company figuring out how to rewrite the performance tables in the drivetrain control unit. The 4 can be uprated to a 4S and the GTS/Turbo can be uprated to a Turbo S. The big question is whether Porsche can detect this change remotely.

Simoniz

First Name
Simo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L322, Fiat 500e, Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Last edited:

Rcrewse7

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2013 G550, 2016 Metris
Country flag
Looks like you have all the power you need for now!

Sadly, things did go quiet with Steinbauer. It did sound like they were working on it, and then hit some speed bumps. Perhaps coaxing the Taycan into releasing more power from the motor(s) is a more difficult task than they thought it would be.

https://www.steinbauerengineering.com/e-vehicles

I suppose there is not coming any Taycan related release this year…

Luckily I do not need the extra power just yet ;-)

8E01A9BE-C0AA-437E-B2B7-0FA5E3C8DFA7.jpeg

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Sadly, things did go quiet with Steinbauer. It did sound like they were working on it, and then hit some speed bumps.
Yea, Tesla locked down the interconnects (cyber secured via cryptographic methods). Porsche and other manufacturers will do the same, if they haven't already. It helps them with warranty claims due to "tuned" cars as well as with locking down the performance tiers (e.g. Taycan GTS same hardware as Turbo, possibly hackable, though if Porsche was sneaky, they could put in a lower rate pyro fuse in the battery, so that if anyone does hack a GTS to output Turbo power levels, it blows the pyro fuse, requiring a $5K+ repair - Tesla did something similar so that anyone hacking a P90D without ludicrous to enable ludicrous, which wasn't too hard to do for hackers, found themselves with a dead battery when they floored the accelerator).

Last edited:

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
Ah you're totally right - I forgot that Power = M*A*V

I found an interesting video on youtube from an italian channel (with eng subs) that dyno'd the RWD taycan and turbo, as well as showing previous Telsa model 3 dyno. Not sure what to make of it exactly, but interesting that the RWD hits peak torque at a later RPM than the Turbo, and also hits peak power at a significantly later point

@f1eng, would there be any hardware limitation that causes the RWD to hit peak torque later? I understand issues with heat in prolonged peak torque output, but not sure if anything is limiting the RWD peak torque from being hit sooner
IMO This just supports the theory that base taycan has some sort of a max torque limiter applied. Look at the power curve it keeps climbing all the way to the end like a Honda S2000, and very unlike an EV motor. Taycan Turbo on the other hand has a more EV like power curve, peaking somewhere mid range and slowly degrading after that. The other observation is around how the torque abruptly drops at the top end of the RPM for RWD, which can not be natural and also seems to be software enforced, while Turbo does not have that. This latter point explains how RWD has a lower top speed than Turbo despite having the same gear ratios.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
So 50 more hp and removal of vmax for €5900 on a 4S?

Cooler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
Turbo does receive quite nice pump in power

Cooler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
So if you dont care about warranty etc things, it seems that GTS is the best buy and then tune it to Turbo S power level.

Noan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche taycan 4S performance
Country flag
My warranty ends up next year. The 4S gets 800Nm, a significant difference.
GTS is detuned from the factory and with this tuning, on par with a turbo S

Cooler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
My warranty ends up next year. The 4S gets 800Nm, a significant difference.
GTS is detuned from the factory and with this tuning, on par with a turbo S
But you could extend the warranty?

Rcrewse7

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2013 G550, 2016 Metris
Country flag
Going from the stock 482hp & 472lb. ft. (562hp in overboost only) to 620 hp and 614lb. ft. of torque in my 4S ALL the time would be fantastic.

While I could convince myself to get past the steep price tag, it may be the warranty aspect that keeps me from purchasing it, especially since the factory battery warranty extends out to 8 years/80,000 miles. Having a future battery or other drivetrain repair declined because of a tune would make for a very bad day.

Straight from the warranty manual as grounds to not honor the warranty:

Parts were installed in, or fitted to, the vehicle, the use of which had not been approved by the PCNA, or the vehicle was modified in a manner not approved by PCNA (e.g., tuning).
Sponsored