Taycan and EV's on the road US vs EU

Chargeme!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2016 Cayenne S
Country flag
I definitely agree with you on how far behind the US is on EV adoption compared to Europe (in general). I was in Iceland for 2 weeks over the Summer. There were EVs [and hybrids] everywhere I looked. Even my rental was a hybrid. There were Level 2 charging stations even in the smallest little towns in the West and East Fjords at the restaurants, hotels, etc. I didn’t see any Taycans though. Mostly Teslas and a smattering of other brands.

It was so strange coming back to the US after that (and EVs aren’t all that uncommon where I live…they are just a lot LESS common than in Iceland).
Sponsored

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
Yeah, if you came to the south east of the US, it would be even less EVs, outside of Atlanta and a few other cites. The transition is going to be VERY slow around here. Oh well, it lets us stands out for a while anyway. I usually tho on road trips see a Taycan or two, especially at the EA charging stations. Made some friends this way.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
I have spent a lot of time all over Europe over decades, but I've not been in Europe at all in three years because of the pandemic, and haven't been in Europe outside of Italy in over 10 years). BEVs have come in so rapidly in the last few years that I expect that I'll be seeing many more BEVs than my last time in Europe (though that was in central Italy in Oct. 2019, and Italy is very slow to adopt BEVs). My next planned trip to Europe is Norway, and I'm sure I'll be amazed to see the BEV adoption there.

Here in the Boston area, I see lots of BEVs on the roads, with Teslas leading by far in terms of automaker brand. The number of BEVs has increased really noticeably during the pandemic here. In some of my daily drives, it seems that 1 or 2 out of every ten vehicles is a BEV. Taycans are about as common here as are Mach-Es (i.e., fairly common -- I'll see perhaps one of each every day or two in my 26-mile roundtrip commute to my office). But I'd roughly guess that I see about 4 or 5 Teslas for every one BEV made by another automaker here. There are a fair number of Chevy Bolts here. I used to see the occasional I-Pace a few years ago, but it's rare that I see one now. I'm seeing more Ioniq5s and EV6s and eTrons now here, as well, along with a fair number of Volvo BEVs (XC60, C40) and Polestar 2s.

In my annual roadtrips across the country (New England to Colorado/Wyoming and back) to see friends and relatives, I notice the dearth of BEVs in the central part of the US. It's rare that I see a non-Tesla BEV in the central part of the US (not counting large metropolitan areas like Chicago or Denver). My last such trip to Colorado/Wyoming and back was this past May. And, yes, it's very uncommon to run across public-charging stations here unless you go looking for them (unlike gas stations, which you see at half or a third of all interstate exits here, and very close to the exit/entrance ramps to the highway).

Yes, I'm originally from the midwest, and I still am amazed at how many people buy pickup trucks in the US who don't even use the rear bed much (if at all). It's kind of a "status symbol" in much of the US. This is why the BEV pickup market might be very large in the near future.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I drove 30 miles today and saw at least 30 Teslas and two Taycans. Depends on where you are in the US.

Bao1303

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT 4S, BMW X5 45e, various bikes
Country flag
I have spent a lot of time all over Europe over decades, but I've not been in Europe at all in three years because of the pandemic, and haven't been in Europe outside of Italy in over 10 years). BEVs have come in so rapidly in the last few years that I expect that I'll be seeing many more BEVs than my last time in Europe (though that was in central Italy in Oct. 2019, and Italy is very slow to adopt BEVs). My next planned trip to Europe is Norway, and I'm sure I'll be amazed to see the BEV adoption there.

Here in the Boston area, I see lots of BEVs on the roads, with Teslas leading by far in terms of automaker brand. The number of BEVs has increased really noticeably during the pandemic here. In some of my daily drives, it seems that 1 or 2 out of every ten vehicles is a BEV. Taycans are about as common here as are Mach-Es (i.e., fairly common -- I'll see perhaps one of each every day or two in my 26-mile roundtrip commute to my office). But I'd roughly guess that I see about 4 or 5 Teslas for every one BEV made by another automaker here. There are a fair number of Chevy Bolts here. I used to see the occasional I-Pace a few years ago, but it's rare that I see one now. I'm seeing more Ioniq5s and EV6s and eTrons now here, as well, along with a fair number of Volvo BEVs (XC60, C40) and Polestar 2s.

In my annual roadtrips across the country (New England to Colorado/Wyoming and back) to see friends and relatives, I notice the dearth of BEVs in the central part of the US. It's rare that I see a non-Tesla BEV in the central part of the US (not counting large metropolitan areas like Chicago or Denver). My last such trip to Colorado/Wyoming and back was this past May. And, yes, it's very uncommon to run across public-charging stations here unless you go looking for them (unlike gas stations, which you see at half or a third of all interstate exits here, and very close to the exit/entrance ramps to the highway).

Yes, I'm originally from the midwest, and I still am amazed at how many people buy pickup trucks in the US who don't even use the rear bed much (if at all). It's kind of a "status symbol" in much of the US. This is why the BEV pickup market might be very large in the near future.
If you. Come to Norway as planned, it will be quite different. More than 70% of new car sales now are BEV, and the plan is to phase out ICE sales by 2025. Reason for the relative success implementing BEVs is our insane taxation of ICEs, we typ. Pay twice compared to the US, but not for EVs - its the same, so relatively speaking EV's are "cheap". Beginning of 2022 there were more taycans registered than all ICEs combined. Things are changing though: from 2023 taxation will be introduced for EVs as well hence my decision to make the plunge and order my first EV. CT4s ordered in July, crossing fingers for it to arrive in December

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This is a good point above - in the UK we are very much incentivised through the present rates of vehicle tax (zero for BEVs) + on street parking charges (both permits and casual parking) in London and other cities the free pass on congestion charging.

I’m expecting this will change in time, as more vehicles become BEV; no doubt some form of ‘usage’ based road charging will come into play to replace the loss of revenue from tax on fuel and road taxes.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
If you. Come to Norway as planned, it will be quite different. More than 70% of new car sales now are BEV,
could that be because of your government's large subsidies offered when buying an EV?

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
.....And it looks like the Americans with a Taycan have a much more unique car.
I have driven 10K miles over a period 10 months in my Taycan CT4. I have yet to see another Taycan CT of any trim level in Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York, New Jersey, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, or Maine. I have seen several Taycan sedans including one FBM one. Taycan is definitely a unique car in the Northeast USA.

Last edited:

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Taycan CT 4S, '24 BMW XM, '23 Honda Ridgeline
Country flag
Texas has a surprisingly high BEV take rate, especially in the cities. I live in Austin, and see countless Teslas, many Mach E, quite a few Ionic 5 and Kia EV6, a fair number of Lucid and Rivian as well. That said, while there are a good number of Taycan around, I see maybe 1 per week, always the sedan. I drive a Cayenne E Hybrid, waiting on my 4S CT (maybe February '23) and rarely see another PHEV Cayenne anywhere.

Bao1303

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT 4S, BMW X5 45e, various bikes
Country flag
could that be because of your government's large subsidies offered when buying an EV?
Ofcourse, that was kind of the point I tried to make. No VAT, no "vehicle tax", free parking, free toll roads, allowed to use the bus lanes when others stuck in traffic. At least thats how it has been. Parking isnt free anymore, neither are toll roads, from next year there will be 25%VAT on cost above 50K, possibly also sneaking in some vehicle tax. Pretty sure by 2025 we'll be paying twice US price again. Back to normal

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
To my surprise I only saw 2 Taycan for the entire 15 days (both where on the highway between New Jersey and New York). Where I live I have to drive only 15min to see at least 2 Taycan's ! If I would drive for 15 days in the european countries mentioned above, I would see more than 100 Taycans.
I also noticed that, if you see a Porsche in the US, it seems to be mostly SUV's (Macan and Cayenne).
Here in the UK I have only seen 4 Taycans on the road ever.

Most Porsches here are Macan and Cayenne though I do see some 911 and a Porsche owned GT4 RS doing photo runs near where I park when I walk my dog.

I will mainly charge at home but I fear the high speed charging infrastructure here is more like US than EU :(

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
This is a good point above - in the UK we are very much incentivised through the present rates of vehicle tax (zero for BEVs) + on street parking charges (both permits and casual parking) in London and other cities the free pass on congestion charging.

I’m expecting this will change in time, as more vehicles become BEV; no doubt some form of ‘usage’ based road charging will come into play to replace the loss of revenue from tax on fuel and road taxes.
Those incentives only help company car drivers and the dwellers in a couple of cities though.

There is no extra incentive for the majority of UK people who buy their own car and don’t live in London, except for less fuel cost, which until now I had reasoned compensated for the fact that the cost of the battery was like a few years of petrol cost and the charging negligible but the battery still costs as much as a few years petrol and charging soon will treble!

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Those incentives only help company car drivers and the dwellers in a couple of cities though.

There is no extra incentive for the majority of UK people who buy their own car and don’t live in London, except for less fuel cost, which until now I had reasoned compensated for the fact that the cost of the battery was like a few years of petrol cost and the charging negligible but the battery still costs as much as a few years petrol and charging soon will treble!
I'm in and out of London several times a week, so parking for me adds up quickly - if I can park in Westminster for 4 hours for 82p or Islington the same for 20p then its far better than £25 a go. Ditto no congestion charge.

I've had zero road tax, after the initial 2 years of ownership on my current BEV. Actually still have free lifetime supercharging.

Its only since the price of electricity has gone through the roof recently that it's dented the (running) cost of ownership.

But on balance its been 5 years of pretty cheap running costs.

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
Here in the UK I have only seen 4 Taycans on the road ever.

Most Porsches here are Macan and Cayenne though I do see some 911 and a Porsche owned GT4 RS doing photo runs near where I park when I walk my dog.

I will mainly charge at home but I fear the high speed charging infrastructure here is more like US than EU :(
2 in our village ‘up North’ and another in the next. Lots near us. And many in Marylebone when we visit our pad down there.
I have only charged at home and at my sons so far, so no experience of charging on public chargers but there doesn’t seem to be a shortage on motorways.
Sponsored