Taycan: Buyer be aware or how to go from soul electrified to soul crushed

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
@nikolaos.abatzis On the issue of a brand new car having to go back, it sucks and I feel for you, but life is not always perfect. Success in life is not about never failing, it's more about how you deal with failures.

If it happened to me, I would definitely be upset, however as long as the dealer put me in a comparable car to drive for the duration of the repair, 12 days is nothing in today's world of parts shortages. If on the other hand the dealer left me without a car and/or an estimate when it will be fixed, I would consider lemon law (which differs by state, but 12 days will not trigger it for sure, maybe 30, 60 or even 90 days). There likely exist solutions in between too, such as Porsche picking up your monthly payment + insurance for the duration of the repair, perhaps extend the warranty to start when you pick it up all-repaired since it died on day one. Even it if takes a couple of months to fully resolve, that still gets you a Taycan sooner than if you re-order. I've been waiting over 8 months now to even get to order, and with the current situations it doesn't look like any allocations will be forthcoming.

So my recommendation would be to set aside your emotions and think pragmatically, what do you want to achieve (e.g. drive a Taycan) and what is the best path to achieve it. ?Acting on emotion and asking for your money back (dealer might do it even without lemoning the car since your car broke down on delivery day) may leave you without a Taycan for a long time, so perhaps not the most satisfactory outcome after the temporary emotional high of "I made them buy it back!" wears off.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just an FYI, there are dozens of Cayman GTS 4L owners waiting months for new engines to be installed in their brand new cars with cam issues. Not unique to the Taycan. What is different is that most of them are previous Porsche owners who take the hiccups in stride and don’t overreact and expect things to be fixed yesterday. And most of them are still looking forward to their cars, because they’re Porsches.

scav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (2022)
Country flag
This forums is turning into a god damn cult. I swear some of you act like abused boy- or girlfriends who thinks abuse is a sign of affection.

Software/firmware issues? Common it’s a drivers car!

Mechanical failures? Common, it’s a Porsche!

Don’t think everything is perfect contrary to the evidence? Must be your first Porsche and you should go back to something else.

luuk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Ice Grey w/ Mission E)
Country flag
This forums is turning into a god damn cult. I swear some of you act like abused boy- or girlfriends who thinks abuse is a sign of affection.

Don’t think everything is perfect contrary to the evidence? Must be your first Porsche and you should go back to something else.
I want to second this. It definitely feels like some folks are offering their perspectives in ever more "imposing" way upon others.

It's absolutely reasonable for a consumer to expect products of the utmost quality. This has always been a challenge but simultaneously a blessing for anything in the consumer space. If I were to run a consumer business, this is the standard I'll hold myself to.

On the other hand, it's also fair if, as a consumer, one would like to convey that they're perfectly content with the product in its current state and thereby cut the manufacturer some slacks because you may value certain factors differently than others (e.g. the cachet and elegance of a product), given your unique circumstances (lifestyle, financial position, your automobile ownership history, etc.).

Have a civil discussion, folks.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
On the other hand, it's also fair if, as a consumer, one would like to convey that they're perfectly content with the product in its current state and thereby cut the manufacturer some slacks because you may value certain factors differently than others (e.g. the cache and elegance of a product), given your unique circumstances (lifestyle, financial position, your automobile ownership history, etc.).
It is absolutely fair to still love a car like the car which this thread which is not drivable after few hours of ownership but it looks good in the social media pictures one took before it went back into the shop for repairs. Different people buy cars for different reasons, some buy a car because it's a status symbol, others buy it to drive it, and I'm sure others for other reasons.

It is also fair to share your experience with the car with others, so that others are aware of what does occasionally happen and how people have dealt with it. If a lot of people share similar experiences, current and potential owners become aware something is becoming a common issue, and what the common solutions are. This is a Taycan forum after all - so it seems natural that people will share their experiences with Taycans, good or bad, whether about your experience with driving (or inability to drive) it or about the cache the car carries or stops carrying if everyone seems to have one around where you live (like a Tesla in Silicon Valley or Seattle area ;) ).

taycan4sl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have been without my Taycan for 5 weeks and counting due to a "failure", but also had the pleasure of driving for over a year before this issue. The Macan loaner is unacceptable and have tried escalating.

I am disappointed as well and understand OP frustrations, but still don't want any other vehicle.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Geez, calm down. It’s an open discussion forum. Perhaps some comments hit too close to home?

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
And yet, they won't release (or even sell) repair manuals to customers.
Sorry, did you mean in comparison to Tesla and their readily available service/repair manuals?

uh,.....ok.

CygnusX-1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Geez, calm down. It’s an open discussion forum. Perhaps some comments hit too close to home?
And here's an example of exactly what scav is talking about.

Perhaps scav's comment hit close to home with you since you're one of the people running OP down because he is - understandably - complaining that his brand new car failed on the drive home. You, and a few others, have tried to turn him into some sort of entitled whiner.

Fortunately there is an ignore button. I intend to use it. Maybe you should, too.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag

And this, IMO, is one of the most offensive posts I've seen on these forums, congratulations. Really, suggesting people that are passionate about the Porsche brand are members of a cult is over the top. Why would anyone even join a Porsche forum (except for the occasional Telsa troll) unless they were passionate about Porsches?

Most people have offered their sympathy while pointing out that the issue the OP is complaining about, excessive parts turn around, is a pretty common issue right now. The OP being upset is fine. People do come to the forums to vent. But suggesting that Porsche should warn people that supply chain issues are affecting parts ordering? Really? I mean how could anyone not be aware that the pandemic and now the war in Ukraine have impacted economies all over the world including every car manufacturer.

In reality, this is an absolutely terrible time to buy pretty much any car. If you are going to buy one anyway, I am, then you need to understand some of the issues you may face. From higher prices, to ordering delays, to difficulty getting some parts.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry, did you mean in comparison to Tesla and their readily available service/repair manuals?
Not at all, I was simply stating a fact about Porsche. I contacted Porsche to check and no, they will do make repair manuals available to customers, not even a complete parts catalog.

But, since you are asking about Tesla, I happen to know that yes Tesla does make their repair manuals available, as well as service software tools. They are not free to use (subscriptions vary from hourly to annual: https://service.tesla.com/service-subscription), but at least the online parts catalog is free for owners (https://epc.tesla.com/). Tesla also allows customers to order many parts (not all, you cannot order parts tagged as "restricted" in the catalog). As a side note, since Tesla bootstrapped their service portal in the past, people used to be able to buy a one hour service manual subscription and download all service manuals with a fast internet connection, so there are service manual copies around with various owners.

By the way, if you know of a way to get access to Porsche service manuals and/or parts catalog, please share. I'm sure some people here would love access to this information, myself included.
Sponsored

Last edited: