JasonC

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've seen posts about not being able to charge at 350kw, but when I go to Electrify America and am charging on a 150, coming in at 20% battery, it is only charging at 68-70 through the charge. Meanwhile, the other brands of EVs around me are charging at 120. Is this a settings problem or a software update needed (tired that)? Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Do you have the 150kW option on your Taycan? it should have cost approximately $500

OP
OP
JasonC

JasonC

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
That's a good question. I was lucky to buy mine when someone else backed out, so I did not personally select all my options. It's a 4S. Do you know how I would check if I have that option? It did not list it on the window sticker.

jrmuppet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Volvo XC60
Country flag
You can find the window sticker on the my.porsche.com site. That will list the options.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Do you have the 150kW option on your Taycan? it should have cost approximately $500
I’m not stateside, so apologies on the ignorance of local info - but I was under the impression EA stations - certainly the units at 350 kW were 1000V capable - therefore the 400V/150 kW option to uncork the car from 50 kW @ 400V isn’t needed. Unless you’re charging at Tesla.

OP
OP
JasonC

JasonC

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have both the physical window sticker and looked online and don't see that option. Without it, am I limited to about 70kw? Do you know if the 150kw charging option can be added after market?

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have both the physical window sticker and looked online and don't see that option. Without it, am I limited to about 70kw? Do you know if the 150kw charging option can be added after market?
You’re only limited if charging from 400V charge units, all else being equal. Basically Tesla superchargers. Otherwise the car should be able to charge at full rate on a charger that can handle 800V cars, like the Taycan natively.

OP
OP
JasonC

JasonC

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for this information. I think I need to contact my service department and find out why I am only getting 70kw.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I've seen posts about not being able to charge at 350kw, but when I go to Electrify America and am charging on a 150, coming in at 20% battery, it is only charging at 68-70 through the charge. Meanwhile, the other brands of EVs around me are charging at 120. Is this a settings problem or a software update needed (tired that)? Any advice would be appreciated.
the problems more than likely lie with the EA units that you are using and not the car.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
that doesn't matter for EA - it's all 800V - there are many many reasons for slow charing that have nothing to do with the vehicle - sometimes it's just the stall you're plugged into.

unless you can replicate it at multiple different EA sites and different EA stalls 99% chance it's just the circumstances and not the car.

it would be highly unlikely but not impossible there is an actual problem with the vehicle.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for this information. I think I need to contact my service department and find out why I am only getting 70kw.
charging is not consistent - you have to have many many data samples before we can conclude the charging speed is vehicle related and not circumstance/environmental - charging will NOT alway be optimal. There are 100's of variables that dictate charging speed - none of which are under your control.

NOTE: your dealer has no magic - the way they diagnose fast charging problems is to drive the vehicle to a nearby fast charger and see what they get and then pull logs - the point being - that the charger they use might work just fine - again no actual problem with the car.

these things are binary - mostly the problems with fast charging is it works or it doesn't work - slowness is rarely something that can be "fixed" since it's circumstantial/enviromental in nature and not a fault with the vehicle.

welcome to EV ownership.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I had a 750 mile trip in a loaner that had all services disabled and I was getting 50kw-70kw at 5 different EA stations I stopped although I used planner for charge destination and battery temp was 95F and outside temp was about 50F. Other cars next to me (not Taycans) were charging 120kw-150kw no problem. Make sure your Porche Connect services are enabled and paid for.

Porsche Taycan Taycan charging slower than other EVs 1683298518717

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
AFIK at non-Tesla chargers the car parameters controlling how much current your battery can absorb is battery temperature and its state of charge. There are external factors for the dispenser too - depending on how many dispensers are being used and the power available to the station.
For example in winter with a preconditioned battery I got 195kw and from the same charge dispenser got 70kW with a colder battery.

The 150kW 400V option is useful on Tesla chargers and I’m not sure there are many/any opened to non-Teslas in the USA yet.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The 150kW 400V option is useful on Tesla chargers and I’m not sure there are many/any opened to non-Teslas in the USA yet.
there are 12 supercharger sites with CCS support in the USA right now - 2 in Calfiornia and 10 in New York State - more should be coming but no announced schedule.
Sponsored