daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Thanks for all your interesting contributions over the years!
mine pale in comparison to yours - but thank you! F1 continues to fascinate me and I keep thinking eventually all electric will get there for true racing, but the path forward is hard to see.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
mine pale in comparison to yours - but thank you! F1 continues to fascinate me and I keep thinking eventually all electric will get there for true racing, but the path forward is hard to see.
Honestly I see battery weight as a complete killer for racing.

Whilst I am completely sold on EV for road use I personally would prefer just petrol NA engines for racing and its spectacle.

The problem is image, even though cancelling one London-New York jumbo flight would save enough fuel for a year of F1 races the image and development money needs hybrid or EV :(

The current F1 cars are huge and the weight limit is 798kg whereas the lowest it was with NA petrol engines was 550kg and the car was quite a bit smaller.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Whilst I am completely sold on EV for road use I personally would prefer just petrol NA engines for racing and its spectacle.
For racing and its spectacle I think supercapacitors will be the way to go, charged wirelessly on straightaways. Would require customized tracks, but imagine a couple of thousand horsepower in a light-weight racing car. Range of 20 miles at best, but charged wirelessly every 1-2 miles keeping the supercapacitor ready to deliver insane performance.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
it's really _ONLY_ the battery weight - _IF_ we can get a lighter weight battery - EV's would be a "win" vs. petrol - while the path forward is unclear - surprises tend to be around the corner - and honestly take the battery out of the equation and find the mythical "solution" - and boom EV's are suddenly 'better' than ICE…

I look forward to the day - but don't know when it will come.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For racing and its spectacle I think supercapacitors will be the way to go, charged wirelessly on straightaways. Would require customized tracks, but imagine a couple of thousand horsepower in a light-weight racing car. Range of 20 miles at best, but charged wirelessly every 1-2 miles keeping the supercapacitor ready to deliver insane performance.
I can't see any of the circuits investing the sort of money required.
I think Toyota used super capacitors on their hybrid Le Mans car.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can't see any of the circuits investing the sort of money required.
I think Toyota used super capacitors on their hybrid Le Mans car.
Maybe if they could get it down to 1 straight with charging, some might consider it. On the other hand, perhaps supercapacitor EV racing might require whole new tracks build from scratch for EV racing.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe if they could get it down to 1 straight with charging, some might consider it. On the other hand, perhaps supercapacitor EV racing might require whole new tracks build from scratch for EV racing.
maybe we could put a slot in the track and two conductors on either side of the slot and the cars would "follow" the slot and be provided with continuous power - I'm sure it would be a hoot!

too bad no one's ever done anything like that…

Porsche Taycan Taycan no longer - long live Taycan IMG_2087

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
maybe we could put a slot in the track and two conductors on either side of the slot and the cars would "follow" the slot and be provided with continuous power - I'm sure it would be a hoot!

too bad no one's ever done anything like that…

IMG_2087.jpeg
Add a wheel front and back inside the slot and imagine the cornering capabilities. It would corner like if it was on rails! Wait, hang on a sec? Oh yea, it would actually be on rails.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
space based laser beams delivering solar power to the car's directly via roof mounted power receivers - no battery required (super capacitor for like 30 seconds of power buffer) to deal with interruptions…no track rebuild required - most tracks have excellent unobstructed sky views…each f1 team could field their own power delivery systems for their cars…drop most/all of the battery weight and then have power-dense (both in volume/weight) EV motors that provide ooodles of HP with instant torque…

how hard could it be?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe.
Currently the EV racing is in venues near population centres for both green credentials and to hopefully get some spectators. Whilst considerable development in battery endurance has been done - I believe the drivers used to change car for a fully charged one mid-race - the races are still short and the chassis boring so I don’t watch it myself.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
space based laser beams delivering solar power to the car's directly via roof mounted power receivers - no battery required (super capacitor for like 30 seconds of power buffer) to deal with interruptions…no track rebuild required - most tracks have excellent unobstructed sky views…each f1 team could field their own power delivery systems for their cars…drop most/all of the battery weight and then have power-dense (both in volume/weight) EV motors that provide ooodles of HP with instant torque…

how hard could it be?
I'm with you, except why space based? Battery filled blimps with automatically aiming lasers. Blimps are way greener than satellites. Blimps built and operated by the teams too, with battery size limits. Perhaps even use smaller lasers to real time pre-warm the road track ahead of the car for better traction! Now drafting has additional advantages, you get to roll over surface preheated by competitor laser. No shooting competitors or burning holes in their cars, tires, or blimps though, or boiling surfaces in front of them. Bonus, advertising space on the blimps!

Last edited:

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Thank you Dave. You taught me a great deal. There is no better way to say thank you other than to convey - you made a difference. Good luck with you journey.

I am right behind you. My Taycan has been fun and will be missed, however the negatives now outweigh the positives with original price/depreciation being at the forefront.

I have narrowed down my next EV to either the Model S or I4 M50. Not as great as the Taycan, but for almost 50% less, they both deserve a look.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Thanks Dave for your contributions! 🍻I too unloaded my Taycan (in 2023) and currently have 3 halo performance sedans in the collection. I enjoy the hunt as much as ownership but most of all I love the stories of the vehicles I procure and the memories I make added to those stories for the next custodians.
Sponsored