4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
For two years I was the guy who parked at the far end of the lot. Never taking more than one spot but always with an open space on either side. Even more often I'd parallel park, risking that I might curb the tires as opposed to being dinged by another driver.

Last week, I had no choice - all spots in the lot were taken. Still I found a spot with a fair amount of space between cars.

Now I see not one, but two dings on the passenger door, drivers side. It's hard to see in the pic, but a car door put a dent in two places, by the door handle and below the midline of the door. It's hard for me imagine how much force was necessary for the other car door to make that much contact with mine. Its dispiriting and makes me feel this was intentional.

Now that I have vented with a likely sympathetic audience, I'm looking for suggestions. Maybe I just leave it as a reminder of what other people (or their kids) are capable of doing.

Porsche Taycan My Taycan no longer a virgin IMG_1590
Sponsored

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Very sorry to hear about the situation. I am parking far away for those reasons all the time.
I had several door dings on the Macan and as long as paint is intact, one of the pros at the collision place took them out for me several times, with no evidence of them being there. If paint is impacted, a good collision shop should be able to repair. I had some rock damage on the front bumper of the Cayenne, and they made it perfect.

I would fix it to be back like new and park far away.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What @SergeyIndy said. Paintless dent removal looks like it would work and be invisible. Do not let the car start the slide into "what's one more ding?" land. Horrible, horrible trend to let get started. Almost impossible to recover from.
Thank you both. I've never used a service like that but I will see what they say. Paint is not impacted by the dents. However here in SoCal everything is expensive and if they want $500 to remove these blemishes I'll be even more pissed off!

If there is a silver lining it's that my family will never, ever be allowed to complain when I park a quarter mile from our destination, in an abandoned field. They need the exercise anyway.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Taycan needs sentry mode. I have front and back dashcam, no sides but it does have a g-sensor and captures audio, so in a situation like this might identify the culprits. As they pull in or pull out (or walk in/out).

Reactions: DRR

Fantasmos

First Name
Hristo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Here we have a service called Paintless Dent Removal - they worked amazingly for me saving me from repainting my door and rear fender when a moron who hit two other cars ended in mine… you should google for something in your area. Way faster and saves the original paint.

MarkR

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4CT
Country flag
@4thPcar I am sorry to hear of this situation. In the past I used paintless debt removal and they were Brilliant. Totally removed any dent and associated ripples. It is a real craft to do this in my opinion. It cost about £110 for 2 dents, one of which was pretty bad. I hope you can got yours sorted to your satisfaction.

I am like you, I park as far away as I can to other people, often on an end space so it minimises the potential for damage. Family think i'm mad, but it has kept my cars straight over the years. Last night, I took my freshly washed and polished car to an electrical store with my son to get his PC repaired. Car park was really empty, and I drove far from anyone. Came out and found a car parked right next to me, in a still empty row of cars. I couldn't believe it. Luckily, no damage, but I simply couldn't understand the thinking here...! Why would someone do this. They could have parked in any one of about 20 empty spaces in the row....!

Grayblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23' Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
That's such a bummer. I get heat all of the time from my wife and kids hunting for the perfect parking spot. The good news is there are some very good PDR guys that can work some magic.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Usually smart repair does the job. Not sure if this works with the alloy shell, though.

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan4S. 2017 Macan S
Country flag
For two years I was the guy who parked at the far end of the lot. Never taking more than one spot but always with an open space on either side. Even more often I'd parallel park, risking that I might curb the tires as opposed to being dinged by another driver.

Last week, I had no choice - all spots in the lot were taken. Still I found a spot with a fair amount of space between cars.

Now I see not one, but two dings on the passenger door, drivers side. It's hard to see in the pic, but a car door put a dent in two places, by the door handle and below the midline of the door. It's hard for me imagine how much force was necessary for the other car door to make that much contact with mine. Its dispiriting and makes me feel this was intentional.

Now that I have vented with a likely sympathetic audience, I'm looking for suggestions. Maybe I just leave it as a reminder of what other people (or their kids) are capable of doing.

IMG_1590.jpg
I’m with you re virginity. My 2020 was backed into while I was stopped at a stop sign. Just a tap to the rear right quarter. Almost invisible. But of course that’s where the sensors reside. So, a new bumper and readjusting sensors - and $9k later - are good to go!!! Thank god for USAA.

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@4thPcar I am sorry to hear of this situation. In the past I used paintless debt removal and they were Brilliant. Totally removed any dent and associated ripples. It is a real craft to do this in my opinion. It cost about £110 for 2 dents, one of which was pretty bad. I hope you can got yours sorted to your satisfaction.

I am like you, I park as far away as I can to other people, often on an end space so it minimises the potential for damage. Family think i'm mad, but it has kept my cars straight over the years. Last night, I took my freshly washed and polished car to an electrical store with my son to get his PC repaired. Car park was really empty, and I drove far from anyone. Came out and found a car parked right next to me, in a still empty row of cars. I couldn't believe it. Luckily, no damage, but I simply couldn't understand the thinking here...! Why would someone do this. They could have parked in any one of about 20 empty spaces in the row....!
we are brothers from another mother!

OP
OP
4thPcar

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Am I the only one that wants to buy a new version of same car the moment you see a dent?! I think not! But I will try the PDR services and appreciate all the feedback.
Sponsored