Range mode no longer working as intended...only rear wheel drive?

nwills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've had my Taycan 4S for 1.5 years and driven over 22,000Km (14,000Miles). Whenever I switch to Range mode the car always went to a front wheel drive scenario once I got to my cruising speed. Only on acceleration would the rear wheels engage.

I took the car in yesterday for a recall update (not sure which one) and noticed upon return that when I now go into Range mode the car only uses the rear wheels for propulsion. It no longer goes into a front wheel drive mode.

Not to mention my smart lift function is gone! I still see the smart lift option and my saved locations but the car no longer asks if I want to save a new location when engaging the lift function nor does it lift the car based on my current saved positions.

This is easy to see in the dashboard with the wheel info module selected in the left instrument cluster as pictured only the rear wheels are engaged while cruising:
Porsche Taycan Range mode no longer working as intended...only rear wheel drive? IMG_0232

Any ideas?
Sponsored

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not to mention my smart lift function is gone! I still see the smart lift option and my saved locations but the car no longer asks if I want to save a new location when engaging the lift function nor does it lift the car based on my current saved positions.
This seems a lot more concerning! I use this feature every day. I really hope the recall didn’t break it.

As far as the issue described in the title, maybe this change was intended? Are you noticing a difference in range?

OP
OP

nwills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This seems a lot more concerning! I use this feature every day. I really hope the recall didn’t break it.

As far as the issue described in the title, maybe this change was intended? Are you noticing a difference in range?
no difference in Range that I can see. Hard to say. The increased range in “Range mode” was primarily due to the fact that the car only used the smaller front motor so wouldn’t think it was intended. Not sure.

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
I think I read somewhere that the car will use the rear of the battery temperature is too low…

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
@nwills I noticed this after a major update also, that the drive now showed mostly rear bias. But I did not notice a drop in the range that I was getting. So it may be that looking at the data the front wheel bias did not provide much benefit and changed the driving dynamics. Keep in mind the rear wheels have 2 gear ratios for efficiency.

But yes something did change.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I've had my Taycan 4S for 1.5 years and driven over 22,000Km (14,000Miles). Whenever I switch to Range mode the car always went to a front wheel drive scenario once I got to my cruising speed. Only on acceleration would the rear wheels engage.

I took the car in yesterday for a recall update (not sure which one) and noticed upon return that when I now go into Range mode the car only uses the rear wheels for propulsion. It no longer goes into a front wheel drive mode.

This is easy to see in the dashboard with the wheel info module selected in the left instrument cluster as pictured only the rear wheels are engaged while cruising:
IMG_0232.jpg

Any ideas?
Doesn’t show ‘Range Mode’ (sorry to be a pedant) - I thought I had the same issue 2 weeks ago but all is ‘normal’ in Range i.e. front 99% except when going downhill (then rear) and 60:40 when resuming to a preset speed in cruise control and then finally reverting to front only.

I have noticed the AUTO RANGE MAX SPEED re-appearing and a message on the NAV when selecting the route that advises AC will not be switched to ECO / ECO PLUS (which I’d not seen before) and so I didn’t freeze on that particular 126 mile journey.

Could it be weather & temp dependent - I notice slush on the road?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
At the risk of complicating the picture even further, my own experience. Before the big AMB5 software update, whenever I (manually) switched on Range mode, the car primarily pulled from the front motor when at cruising speed. After the big update, (manually) selecting Range resulted in cruising with a car which primarily pushed from the rear motor. If anything, the range improved a little as compared to the before-update modus. However, if the Taycan’s own navigation system selects Range mode because you use it and prefer a route option which is based on Range, then this results in a front motor pulling situation again. This coincides with the appearance of the “Auto Range Max Speed 90 mph” message popping up (see post by @W1NGE above).

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
At the risk of complicating the picture even further, my own experience. Before the big AMB5 software update, whenever I (manually) switched on Range mode, the car primarily pulled from the front motor when at cruising speed. After the big update, (manually) selecting Range resulted in cruising with a car which primarily pushed from the rear motor. If anything, the range improved a little as compared to the before-update modus. However, if the Taycan’s own navigation system selects Range mode because you use it and prefer a route option which is based on Range, then this results in a front motor pulling situation again. This coincides with the appearance of the “Auto Range Max Speed 90 mph” message popping up (see post by @W1NGE above).
I noticed that using Range mode now has switched to the rear motor. I saw that after that update, but the same update also destroyed my Innodrive and other assistance systems completely, so it was not the biggest issue.

For me there is no difference if using the navigation or any route, but I do not have PIRM, only the normal charging planner.

I have not seen any benefit from switching to Range mode, more that perhaps 10 km Ona SOC at 80%. So I never use it. I manually set AC/ECO once the car is at temperature, and it lowers itself a bit once on a motorway speed. Maybe not fully, but the difference is negligible and the interference from Range to limit speed is just irritating.

So yes even on a long stint with battery temp at 30 C it still used the rear motor only for me.

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I noticed that using Range mode now has switched to the rear motor. I saw that after that update, but the same update also destroyed my Innodrive and other assistance systems completely, so it was not the biggest issue.

For me there is no difference if using the navigation or any route, but I do not have PIRM, only the normal charging planner.

I have not seen any benefit from switching to Range mode, more that perhaps 10 km Ona SOC at 80%. So I never use it. I manually set AC/ECO once the car is at temperature, and it lowers itself a bit once on a motorway speed. Maybe not fully, but the difference is negligee and the interference from Range to limit speed is just irritating.

So yes even on a long stint with battery temp at 30 C it still used the rear motor only for me.
I do have PIRM (but do not often use it) but I don’t have Innodrive. You are right in stating that Range mode does not have a dramatic effect on effective range; in my case only between 5 and 10 miles more than in Normal, which Is why I use Normal 90% of the time and Range and Sport each 5%. When engaging Range manually, the max speed can be set at 85 mph and when Range is engaged by PIRM the max speed is automatically set at 90 mph.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

I have not seen any benefit from switching to Range mode, more that perhaps 10 km Ona SOC at 80%. So I never use it. I manually set AC/ECO once the car is at temperature, and it lowers itself a bit once on a motorway speed. Maybe not fully, but the difference is negligible and the interference from Range to limit speed is just irritating.

The advantage I see with Range mode now is that it is possible to use AC on normal as determined automatically with NAV active without always switching to ECO (or ECO Plus if configured that way) and maintaining the same physical range for the same physical charge.

I have a hunch that this feature is playing mind games as I could swear on one trip only rear drive rather than front drive was operative. I put it down to it being a likely senior moment on my part but I'm not so sure. Will continue to (sadly) monitor with interest!

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The advantage I see with Range mode now is that it is possible to use AC on normal as determined automatically with NAV active without always switching to ECO (or ECO Plus if configured that way) and maintaining the same physical range for the same physical charge.

I have a hunch that this feature is playing mind games as I could swear on one trip only rear drive rather than front drive was operative. I put it down to it being a likely senior moment on my part but I'm not so sure. Will continue to (sadly) monitor with interest!
The mind games thing is definitely true…
Sponsored