Taycan Owners and Very Narrow Lanes

Dollymite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG C43
Country flag
Realise I’m quickly going to regret posting this but would appreciate some real life feedback from those with Taycans who live in rural areas with very small lanes and villages with ridiculously narrow streets...
It’s a “how long is a piece of string” kind of question but in general do you find the width of the Taycan a constant pain in the neck or is it doable?
I’m having very last minute nerves and wishing (not for the first time) that you could properly fit two kids in the back of a 911!
In fact that's my dilemma: I've always wanted a 911, for decades, but the CT4S makes more financial sense (company director). I prefer smaller cars because I like being able to be nippy and not worrying so much about finding suitable parking spaces and so on but love the look of the Taycan CT and there's obviously the massive bonus of the practicality of the CT when you have kids.
I'm hoping this near-pointless stream of consciousness (I know full well nobody can make my mind up for me!) will be cathartic and help me to make a decision once and for all.
But any anecdotes along the lines of "it's not really that wide" and "you soon get used to it" and "of course it'll be fine in tight underground car parks" welcome. Or indeed negative anecdotes!
Sponsored

Leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I have also a CT4S and I come from a Jeep Grand Cherokee (same size & width as the CT) but I feel that being so low in the seating makes it a bit hard to evaluate the size of the car when driving. I have to say I’m being extra careful and until now I have a hard time to “relax” when driving the car. It will probably take some time to getting used to it though so no worried. But yes, it’s a big car from the outside.
PS: I have the car since last Friday 😉

Edinburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S on order
Country flag
I had a similar dilemma. Wanted a 911, but with 2 kids the Taycan just made more sense - particularly given the UK company car incentives.
I took the plunge and my dolomite CT4S arrived in December.
It is a big car, but after a week or two the size of it became normal and lanes and narrow city streets are not a drama. It is a sensational car and I haven't looked at a 911 since it arrived and thought 'wish I had one of those instead'.
Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Dollymite

Dollymite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG C43
Country flag
I have also a CT4S and I come from a Jeep Grand Cherokee (same size & width as the CT) but I feel that being so low in the seating makes it a bit hard to evaluate the size of the car when driving. I have to say I’m being extra careful and until now I have a hard time to “relax” when driving the car. It will probably take some time to getting used to it though so no worried. But yes, it’s a big car from the outside.
PS: I have the car since last Friday 😉
Thanks, that's really helpful. For some reason I thought being lower would actually be better for me (I don't like the Q7 I drive occasionally at all!) so this is food for thought.

OP
OP
Dollymite

Dollymite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG C43
Country flag
I had a similar dilemma. Wanted a 911, but with 2 kids the Taycan just made more sense - particularly given the UK company car incentives.
I took the plunge and my dolomite CT4S arrived in December.
It is a big car, but after a week or two the size of it became normal and lanes and narrow city streets are not a drama. It is a sensational car and I haven't looked at a 911 since it arrived and thought 'wish I had one of those instead'.
Hope this helps!
Cheers, helps a lot.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Realise I’m quickly going to regret posting this but would appreciate some real life feedback from those with Taycans who live in rural areas with very small lanes and villages with ridiculously narrow streets...
But any anecdotes along the lines of "it's not really that wide" and "you soon get used to it" and "of course it'll be fine in tight underground car parks" welcome. Or indeed negative anecdotes!
I don't live in such rural areas, but many of my favourite recreational drives take me through such places. Surround view and PPF along the flanks (to protect when manoeuvring up against overgrown hedgerow) are key for me.
That said, I would agree with all of the statements on which you seek anecdotal views, the width of the car is not a problem (if fitted with Surround view- and it doesn't even need Rear Axle Steering in my opinion).
The challenging circumstances you describe probably aren't fun in any car when there's no room for average sized cars to pass, so I don't think the extra width of a Taycan makes a significant difference.

OP
OP
Dollymite

Dollymite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG C43
Country flag
I don't live in such rural areas, but many of my favourite recreational drives take me through such places. Surround view and PPF along the flanks (to protect when manoeuvring up against overgrown hedgerow) are key for me.
That said, I would agree with all of the statements on which you seek anecdotal views, the width of the car is not a problem (if fitted with Surround view- and it doesn't even need Rear Axle Steering in my opinion).
The challenging circumstances you describe probably aren't fun in any car when there's no room for average sized cars to pass, so I don't think the extra width of a Taycan makes a significant difference.
Thank you. Hadn't thought of it like that - 10cm is a drop in the ocean when you consider the width of a road I guess...

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
It’s a “how long is a piece of string” kind of question but in general do you find the width of the Taycan a constant pain in the neck or is it doable?
I’m having very last minute nerves and wishing (not for the first time) that you could properly fit two kids in the back of a 911!
In fact that's my dilemma: I've always wanted a 911, for decades, but the CT4S makes more financial sense (company director). I prefer smaller cars because I like being able to be nippy and not worrying so much about finding suitable parking spaces and so on but love the look of the Taycan CT and there's obviously the massive bonus of the practicality of the CT when you have kids.
I'm hoping this near-pointless stream of consciousness (I know full well nobody can make my mind up for me!) will be cathartic and help me to make a decision once and for all.
I live in Somerset and own a 992 Targa 4s and a Taycan 4S Cross T... Although the Taycan is a big long and wide car it ready hasn't been a significant problem. I'm probably more precious when in the Targa to be honest. The Taycan Cross is a highly practical vehicle and cheap to run. 21 inch wheels, Bose, Pan roof, lane assist are vital!!

OP
OP
Dollymite

Dollymite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG C43
Country flag
I live in Somerset and own a 992 Targa 4s and a Taycan 4S Cross T... Although the Taycan is a big long and wide car it ready hasn't been a significant problem. I'm probably more precious when in the Targa to be honest. The Taycan Cross is a highly practical vehicle and cheap to run. 21 inch wheels, Bose, Pan roof, lane assist are vital!!
Yep, and I've added 360, RAS and Matrix lights as I have these on current car and they're amazing. Good to know re the Targa, I'm beginning to think that 90% of my issue with this is psychological!

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
It's a big boy. As a tip I program the park assist surround view to the steering wheel custom button for tight squeezes. Obviously if someone is coming the opposite direction in a small lane someone will have to yield at which point you use the surround view so you don't scragg the alloys.

DJ-UK

First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ex-iPace, Taycan RWD '23 lots of extra's.
Country flag
Maybe of use, I have an iPace (waiting for Taycan) and its 5 cm wider in the body, but 0.5 cm less than Taycan including mirrows. Never had a problem with the iPace and spent quite some time in Cornwall.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
Yep, and I've added 360, RAS and Matrix lights as I have these on current car and they're amazing. Good to know re the Targa, I'm beginning to think that 90% of my issue with this is psychological!
Wife’s S3 has Matrix lights and I wouldn’t pay extra… fine on single lanes but not great on narrow 2 lane roads. I have standard lights on Taycan and they are excellent- save your money would be my advice - what’s RAS?

Rob********

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
I had similar concerns. Borrow a demonstrator for half a day like I did, and go and drive some of your typical roads. By the end of it, you will be threading it in and out of traffic like any another motor.

OP
OP
Dollymite

Dollymite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG C43
Country flag
It's a big boy. As a tip I program the park assist surround view to the steering wheel custom button for tight squeezes. Obviously if someone is coming the opposite direction in a small lane someone will have to yield at which point you use the surround view so you don't scragg the alloys.
That's a good idea, I'll definitely be doing that!

OP
OP
Dollymite

Dollymite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG C43
Country flag
Maybe of use, I have an iPace (waiting for Taycan) and its 5 cm wider in the body, but 0.5 cm less than Taycan including mirrows. Never had a problem with the iPace and spent quite some time in Cornwall.
Oh that's interesting! I almost bought an iPace because I thought it would be much more compact. But the Taycan Siren-sang to me. Cornwall must be the most extreme testing ground for car practicality, especially in the summer...
Sponsored