JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
It’s a heavy car. I’m surprised so many people are running equal pressures across all 4 tires…the only model that seems to suggest that for a partial load is the turbo or base rwd (though I’m not sure why). I run essentially as suggested in my 4S with 20s: 36/32
Sponsored

mikezhang31

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
They were in a 911 c2s and witnesses said the car rolled multiple times. It was a very high speed crash.

Alfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST
Country flag
If they were doing lap times this is the fastest part of the “green hell”.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
They were in a 911 c2s and witnesses said the car rolled multiple times. It was a very high speed crash.
Unless the car literally split in half, there would be no way for them to be ejected if they were in a car with race seats, harnesses, and bars. My guess is they were doing this in a standard 911. Pretty risky IMO. Still very sad.

Alfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST
Country flag
Apparently there was some debris on the road and with a pucture at 200mph it makes little difference what car you have.

Last edited:

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
As a contrast my car run 15k (9,3k mi)km on the factory installed GY Assymmetric 3 tires ca. 50% on the lowest position (motorway RANGE mode 150km/h (94mph) ACC/ALK) on challenging roads SPORT/SPORT+ so lots of low or lowest position relatively higher speed but the wear is very event especially little better inside.
I am so careful on tyre pressure using comfort setup, since most of the time alone without heavy luggage.
Seems not general issue (wrong basic factory setup).
Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure IMG_6365
Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure IMG_6366
Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure IMG_6367

Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure IMG_6368

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
As a contrast my car run 15k (9,3k mi)km on the factory installed GY Asymmetric 3 tires ca. 50% on the lowest position (motorway RANGE mode 150km/h (94mph) ACC/ALK) on challenging roads SPORT/SPORT+ so lots of low or lowest position relatively higher speed but the wear is very event especially little better inside.
I am so careful on tyre pressure using comfort setup, since most of the time alone without heavy luggage.
Seems not general issue (wrong basic factory setup).
IMG_6365.jpeg
IMG_6366.jpeg
IMG_6367.jpeg

IMG_6368.jpeg
These look spot on.

Strange to see so much difference to a car with apparently in-spec alignment

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Well, this is annoying. Spurred on by this thread, I checked my tires and noticed scrubbing of the rears on the inside.
Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure IMG_8327

Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure IMG_8328
These are the OEM Contis on 20” stock wheels after ~11k miles. Rarely in Sport, though plenty of highway miles (so lowered anyway).

As far as I can tell, the tires are not directional and I’ve caught this early enough that a swap side to side may be worthwhile.

Graluy

First Name
Graluy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
OK, this is a tough one, and I've reported this to the NHTSA. What you're looking at is 4 pictures, all relating to my summer Goodyear tires. First is my drivers side rear, second my passenger side rear, third is the inspection report when my dealer installed the wheel/tire combination on March 21, and fourth is the alignment measurements taken before I had the car re-aligned.

My car has 30K miles consisting of a combination of my winter wheels/tires and summer wheels/tires. I would guess I have something between 15-20K miles on the summer tires. I figure I put about 3500 miles on the tires after they were installed when I noticed a very slight drop in pressure on the ds rear tire from 41-39psi. I monitored the pressure, and it stayed at 38-39 for a couple weeks, then I had a dramatic drop on July 18 to 22 psi while I was parked downtown. I put as much air in the tire as it would hold (35 psi) and drove it home carefully on backroads with about 20 psi left. I jacked it up, since I didn't want the car sitting on a completely flat tire, and it was 0 psi in the morning. I cranked up the pressure to 40+psi, and was able to make it to the dealership with 20+ psi in the tire. I'm sure the tire took a beating during these drives because of the low pressure.

The pictures show the ds rear tire with what looks like the beginning of separation at the tire bead between the sidewall and the tread, pretty much around the entire diameter. The passenger side (ps) rear tire is shown in the next picture. You can see the same cracking starting on this tire, but only in spots. This tire was not losing any air pressure and the treadwear was not unusual.

I was told by the dealer that this was an 'alignment issue', so I asked the dealer to check the alignment, and to check the treadwear on my winter tires to see if there was a problem. The winter tires were completely normal. I've also attached the inspection report when they swapped the tires March 21, and as I discussed with the advisor, there was no indication of unusual treadwear on the summer tires, and there was probably sufficient tread to last one more season. The alignment measurement shows the driver side rear tire to be within spec, and the ps rear tire slightly out of spec. I asked how the ds rear tire could fail in this potentially catastrophic manner if the alignment was within spec and there was no unusual treadwear. I was told that misalignment of one rear tire could cause severe wear of the other.

I don't buy this argument for a couple reasons. First, the passenger rear tire is showing the same failure mode as the driver rear, but not as severe, and it was out of alignment. Second, the passenger rear shows no signs of unusual treadwear. The driver's side tire has some inner tread damage, probably due to driving on it with a very low pressure.

All the evidence I've been able to collect points to a defect in these tires. I've seen hundreds of tires in my racing, and never seen this kind of failure. I've seen tires worn through to the cords on the inside, but not cracking at the sidewall/tread seam.

I've put 4 new tires on the car (dealer paid for the ds rear), and I've had it re-aligned to spec. I have not pushed this car hard at all - never hit the limits on cornering, and used launch control maybe 10 times. Does anyone else have any experience with something like this?
IMG_4290.PNG
IMG_4285.PNG

IMG_4287.jpeg
101000097625866.jpeg
Good evening all

https://www.4legend.com/2022/rappel-de-porsche-taycan-pour-un-probleme-de-suspension-2/amp/

It seems that à suspension building issue has been détectby Porsche and a recall was made but only for one car on usa against many in Europe.

this issue can lead to tyres failure. Perhaps you should look to porsche recall to see of it can concern your taycan

your Porsche center should be aware with that known issue

Just open the link and translate it

Hoping it can help you

OP
OP
Vim Schrotnock

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Good evening all

https://www.4legend.com/2022/rappel-de-porsche-taycan-pour-un-probleme-de-suspension-2/amp/

It seems that à suspension building issue has been détectby Porsche and a recall was made but only for one car on usa against many in Europe.

this issue can lead to tyres failure. Perhaps you should look to porsche recall to see of it can concern your taycan

your Porsche center should be aware with that known issue

Just open the link and translate it

Hoping it can help you
Checked the alignment, and it was very slightly out. Had it re-aligned, and also checked the alignment in the 'low' setting, which was close to specifications, but again just slightly out of spec.

The tire treadwear is normal and even across the tread width, which should rule out an alignment issue. There is still 4mm tread left on the innermost treadwear marker, but the inner sidewall has cracked on both tires and has actually separated completely from the tread on the inner side of the driver's rear tire. This is not a tire problem, since I located a poster and picture on another forum that looked exactly like mine, with Conti Tires and perfect alignment. I checked with the Service manager, and the tires are kept with the new cars in a temperature controlled warehouse. Something is not right.

OP
OP
Vim Schrotnock

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
More information :

https://www.auto123.com/fr/actualites/amp/rappel-audi-porsche-32000-alignement-suspension/68936/

You all can find more information here.

Porsche made a recall of some cars but Forget to tell to their CP to control alignement after the first repair.

to translate in google

Nice day
Thanks for the information. It does look like all the recalls were associated with a misalignment of the suspension - evidently not the case here, since we've checked it several times, and other posters have had the same problem with measured alignment within specifications. I really can't see what might be causing the problem here. I've never seen such severe damage to the inner shoulder of a tire without showing dramatically uneven treadwear.

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Ive heard reports of this type of damage being caused by (in the UK) those square speed bumps that are in the middle of the road. If you straddle them, it can put serious wear on the inner side walls - although you'd have to be doing it daily to cause any significant issue.
I can imaging the weight of the Taycan exacerbating the issue.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Ive heard reports of this type of damage being caused by (in the UK) those square speed bumps that are in the middle of the road. If you straddle them, it can put serious wear on the inner side walls - although you'd have to be doing it daily to cause any significant issue.
I can imaging the weight of the Taycan exacerbating the issue.
That's interesting.....makes sense with the wear.
I've got a few of those near where I live, and I have to drive over them, straddled most days.

The council has just (needlessly) put some more up, so I may re-think my route.
Sponsored