bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Spare wheel aka 'clown wheel' arrived and as noted in the Spare Tire thread, from a Panamera Emergency kit but verified for use with the Taycan (as described above and here #13 ) - 20" wheel weighs about 20lbs and 4.58" wide (so quite a lot thinner than the Cayenne spare shared above and whole wheel nice and light). Actual measured max dimensions appear to be 21.25" outside diameter and 5.25" edge width. Air pressure to be 61 psi - basically like a mountain bike tire!! Definitely won't forget to take this puppy off after use :)

Tire ordered from separate source (SilverSpring) to arrive hopefully next week but car still in shop all next week and no issue there.

IMG_5503.jpeg

My Apple watch for scale :)

IMG_5501.jpeg
Will this spare wheel and mounted tire (not inflated) fit in the frunk?

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Will this spare wheel and mounted tire (not inflated) fit in the frunk?
I don't believe so - again don't have car to hand but fairly certain not deep enough.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Spare wheel aka 'clown wheel' arrived and as noted in the Spare Tire thread, from a Panamera Emergency kit but verified for use with the Taycan (as described above and here #13 ) - 20" wheel weighs about 20lbs and 4.58" wide (so quite a lot thinner than the Cayenne spare shared above and whole wheel nice and light). Actual measured max dimensions appear to be 21.25" outside diameter and 5.25" edge width. Air pressure to be 61 psi - basically like a mountain bike tire!! Definitely won't forget to take this puppy off after use :)

Tire ordered from separate source (SilverSpring) to arrive hopefully next week but car still in shop all next week and no issue there.

IMG_5503.jpeg

My Apple watch for scale :)

IMG_5501.jpeg
Thought I'd update this again for those concerned or worried re load ratings on these or similar 'donut' spare wheel-tire combos given the mad weight of electric vehicles like the Taycan.

The M on this narrow tire references 'emergency or spare' tire and the individual load rating is 115.

A 115 load rating equals to supporting 2679 lbs on this single tire (other factors like P/T etc of course involved) i.e. you then multiply by 4 to get the total load (assuming all 4 tires the same) your tire setup can handle. Thus if I had 4 of these tires I could more than easily safely carry the weight of the Taycan - would be quite the look though :)!

The Pirelli P-Zero NF0 ELECT performance tires that came with my CT have a load rating of 104 rear and 103 front which equates to 1984 lbs and 1929 lbs respectively per tire and of course x4, is again more than sufficient to handle the car's total weight. Note that of course PSI dependent and if you use the calculator on TireSize.com you'll see that the stock 305/35R21 tire when inflated to a recommended 38psi actually has a load rating of 2094 lbs.

Here is a link to some load indices tables and a summary if useful - many more online - and a link to the size/pressure-load calculator mentioned above:

https://jackwilliams.com/blog/tire-load-index-chart-see-how-much-your-tires-can-handle

https://tiresize.com/pressure-calculator/

Cheers, C.

Last edited:

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
EDIT 2 - UPDATED WITH FULL DETAILS - SEE POST #13

EDIT 1 - COMPATIBILITY CONFIRMED SEE IN THREAD

Has anyone actually purchased this supposed Taycan compatible compact spare and is it like my OEM BMW spare in that it can fit either front or rear (using supplied spacers etc) to get you safely to a dealer/service center?

IMO I'd have zero issue paying for it if this thing works however I do not see in the related diagrams any spacers etc if needed to use for both front and rear applications i.e. might be front only? ALSO despite screenshot showing for 19", 20, 21" there is just a 19" by the wheel pic... ?

Currently waiting on response from my dealership and others re applicability.

HOWEVER - despite listed in the page title and listed as fitting the 2020 Taycan model lineup on their respective page descriptions, when you check to see it fits your model car via say Sunset's linked car checker it says it does not - brilliant!

Suncoast (have a query in to them pending) does not list this with the Taycan and suspect they are more accurate vs others here but again waiting to verify.

https://shop.porscheusa.com/2020-po...suspension-wheels-spare_wheel_971601017-item/

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.58.13 AM.png

Not at all familiar with this outfit but cheaper still:

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-spare-wheel-971601017
Do you think I could use this with my Audi Q7 as well as the Taycan for road trip security? The only difference I see between the two car's wheels and bolt pattern is that the Audi's hub center bore is 71.3. I think the Porsche might be 71.5. If you could measure the center bore on your new rim, I'd appreciate it.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you think I could use this with my Audi Q7 as well as the Taycan for road trip security? The only difference I see between the two car's wheels and bolt pattern is that the Audi's hub center bore is 71.3. I think the Porsche might be 71.5. If you could measure the center bore on your new rim, I'd appreciate it.
Quick and dirty measurement (w/o proper caliper tool) looks like 71.44 i.e. closer to 71.5 as you suggest.

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Quick and dirty measurement (w/o proper caliper tool) looks like 71.44 i.e. closer to 71.5 as you suggest.
[/QUOTE
Thanks so much for measuring it. This may work for my Q7 as well as the Taycan for road trips. I'll have to check with Audi to see what they think. If anyone else has any knowledge about this, please weigh in.

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Upon more investigation, the bolt pattern (PCD) is different on the Audi Q7, to I can't use the same spare for both cars. The center bore could be overcome, but not the PCD

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I went ahead and posted a few pics for those interested with the tire mounted on my Porsche spare wheel in my Mods thread in the rear of my Cross Turismo - link here : #212

Works really well and plenty of luggage space to spare.

Using the above link as want to avoid duplication of loaded images.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I saw this today, and wonder if it's the same wheel you put together (selecting the "tools" adds $100 to the price) :

https://evannex.com/products/emergency-spare-tire-kit-for-porsche-taycan

1658759677092.png
Different wheel but presumably if compatible should work fine - mine is the wheel from the Porsche OEM Panamera Emergency Spare kit they sell in Europe - wheel made in Italy and a different design to the one you are showing here - this one looks very like a red painted version of the generic Tesla spare I posted earlier to mimic Porsche's OEM spares - see post #14

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Different wheel but presumably if compatible should work fine - mine is the wheel from the Porsche OEM Panamera Emergency Spare kit they sell in Europe - wheel made in Italy and a different design to the one you are showing here - this one looks very like a red painted version of the generic Tesla spare I posted earlier to mimic Porsche's OEM spares - see post #14
Ya, looks a little different than yours on closer inspection. Yours has 10 spokes, the one I posted is only 8 spokes. The Telsa one looks very different and is only 5 spokes.

They are sure marketing it as compatible to the Taycan, as that's what they are showing its specifically for.

Last edited:

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
FWIW the official taycan centre-bore if 71.6 mm - can't see it making much difference - but just in case. cheers

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ya, looks a little different than yours on closer inspection. Yours has 10 spokes, the one I posted is only 8 spokes. The Telsa one looks very different and is only 5 spokes.

They are sure marketing it as compatible to the Taycan, as that's what they are showing its specifically for.
Ha, was just looking at the wheel lugs/nuts, didn’t even count the spokes :)!!

But again if a good quality product no reason not to use this at all - nice addl find.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
The Cayenne will not fit in the frunk
Sponsored