WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
DO you by any chance drive the car in lowered mode most of the time? I suspect that the camber changes when we use the car in any mode other than normal (where the camber is measured); so range mode, sport plus, etc. all lower the car and potentially unevenly use the tires....
We drive in normal mode 95% of the time, and the fronts are definitely wearing out much faster on the inside than the rest of the tire. 21" PZero NF0 all around with 16k miles. The rears only have 6k miles so no visible uneven wear detected yet. Always at 42 psi on all corners.

Ipercool

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan GTS ST - 22 BMW i3S - 18 MINI Countryman
Country flag
Yesterday I put on new front tyres after 13.000km.
The wear was as in pictures.
The inner border of both tyres is destroyed, the other areas are in good shape.

This is the second time I had to do it, first time the same condition was after 15.000km.

Not so happy about that.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure 20230809_175422

Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure 20230809_175407

Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure 20230809_175348

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Almost 12k miles on my Taycan 4S and I have no unusual wear whatsoever. RAS, Pirellis, 39psi cold all around, car is in the lowered position (not full low) 99% of the time. Even wear across all tires. Fronts look like they could do another 12k miles, rears maybe 5k.

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag
This is way too high unless your car is fully loaded to its GVWR max.
heh. i don't know about 'way' too high, that sounds like a bit of an over statement.. but, i will say that mine came from the dealer at that same spec, 44 rear/41 front, and while it is certainly not 'way too high' for just me and a laptop in the car, it does feel like a pretty hard tire and i notice some 'skipping' as i go around corners fast, esp if there's some uneven surface to pop the car up a little. i would say that a couple pounds less all around might serve me better. i do spirited driving, live in a warm/hot area, and don't care about tire wear per se, just want the best performance. so. i'll likely try running at 41/39, see what that does for me. ymmv.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I just checked all 4 of my tires (2 were replaced about 1-2K miles ago, the other 2 have 9K miles on them). Tire wear looks fine, nothing even remotely resembling the wear pattern shown by the OP and others. I keep my tires inflated to 39 - 41 PSI (I don't touch them unless they move outside of this range) and I drive around in "lowered" all the time. My tires are summer 21" Pirelli P-zero elect.

CxM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Will have to keep an eye on this thread and my tire wear.
Been switching out summers 21" Goodyear and winters 20" Pirelli seasonally, but haven't noticed any major wear, sitting at 12k km, @39psi, usually drive low setting.

for reference to tire pressure, seems variations depending on spec/tire/load:
Porsche Taycan Owner's Manual (Page 283 of 302)
Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure 1691688744005

Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure 1691688766680

Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure 1691688775345
Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure 1691688789843
Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure 1691688802775

Last edited:

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Was beginning to doubt mine - thanks @CxM for posting the guidance. Air pressure without specifying the wheel size/tire compound is a bit misleading. I'm running 35-36psi cold all around on 20" all seasons. Tire wear is negligible (and even) after 10k miles.

CxM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Was beginning to doubt mine - thanks @CxM for posting the guidance. Air pressure without specifying the wheel size/tire compound is a bit misleading. I'm running 35-36psi cold all around on 20" all seasons. Tire wear is negligible (and even) after 10k miles.
They need to add the #'s for the different tire brands in the manual.
I think your tire info plate should have more specific #'s to the tires your spec came with.

For CT/ST and GTS specs:

Attachments

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
heh. i don't know about 'way' too high, that sounds like a bit of an over statement.. but, i will say that mine came from the dealer at that same spec, 44 rear/41 front, and while it is certainly not 'way too high' for just me and a laptop in the car, it does feel like a pretty hard tire and i notice some 'skipping' as i go around corners fast, esp if there's some uneven surface to pop the car up a little. i would say that a couple pounds less all around might serve me better. i do spirited driving, live in a warm/hot area, and don't care about tire wear per se, just want the best performance. so. i'll likely try running at 41/39, see what that does for me. ymmv.
Dealers in many states are required to deliver you car upon purchase or after service at max tire pressure. Laws like this were passed after the Firestone/Explorer tire under inflation scandal.

Over inflating gives you a rougher ride and, at the extreme, less suspension compliance, as the dampers are tuned for lower pressures. No reason to max pressure. 39 all around cold is plenty firm. Manual suggested pressures are even lower.

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag
Dealers in many states are required to deliver you car upon purchase or after service at max tire pressure. Laws like this were passed after the Firestone/Explorer tire under inflation scandal.

Over inflating gives you a rougher ride and, at the extreme, less suspension compliance, as the dampers are tuned for lower pressures. No reason to max pressure. 39 all around cold is plenty firm. Manual suggested pressures are even lower.
normally i'd do a little softer for a bigger contact patch anyway, but i wanted to see what the inflation from the dealer felt like for a while... enough of that. :D yes, P does suggest mainly lower press on most tires, the 21" are at the upper end. you need some press to keep that profile working properly.

i did not know that about the law requiring max press from the dealer, that makes sense and explains things a bit.