LLA53

First Name
Iain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE Grey Taycan 4S
Country flag
This isn’t really a before and after comparison update, the only way for it to mean anything would be to carry out both tests in the same car with the same battery. The max I can get out of my 4S is 220miles how many are there that get more than this? Plenty of course as everyone will be slightly different .

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
This isn’t really a before and after comparison update, the only way for it to mean anything would be to carry out both tests in the same car with the same battery. The max I can get out of my 4S is 220miles how many are there that get more than this? Plenty of course as everyone will be slightly different .
You are probably very right-foot happy. I consistently get over 300 miles with my RWD and I think many people who own the RWD would agree that they also consistently get over 300 miles. Also pretty right-foot happy person here btw.

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
2022 RWD - 80F+ ambient temp - 311 miles in range mode down to 3%. Indicated range never showed more than 290.

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
220 miles in a 4S sounds a little low IMHO, but I don't know your driving conditions, etc. My 2021 4S gets 435km (270 miles) routinely at 85% SOC. And I have the epic Mission-E rims. But I drive conservatively and rarely flog the beast. Plus, in winter my range reduces ~30%, when -0 deg C.

There's so many factors at play here. I don't mind Tom, he seems like a good guy, but the test wasn't very scientific at all.

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
Would anybody be willing to provide a spoiler? 25min of video seems a bit long to divulge a couple of numbers.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Would anybody be willing to provide a spoiler? 25min of video seems a bit long to divulge a couple of numbers.
to be fair: the channels vids are pretty informative. But yeah he did 297 in the previous RWD and 305.6 with the updated model. He did caveat that the second/updated car run had a lot of wind which made a big difference. But I’d also point out that the first run was on 20” Turbo Aero wheels whereas the second run was on the stock Taycan RWD rims.

Looking at Porsche’s notes on the update: I thought that it would be much more the 4WD cars that would see an increase, but I could be wrong.

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Tesla P3D - Order: Taycan ST
Country flag
305 noodles?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Several things which effect range which are not equivalent between the cars tested.

Battery condition (?).
Wheels
Tyre width
wind
rain

The difference he thinks he found would be within experimental error for these sort of differences so probably the difference is minimal.

Stupid but typical internet recommendation

Over-inflating tyres :mad:

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I drove with the bike carrier and 2 bikes for 1000 km and now I’m driving fast on short trips with some friends. Now my range at 100% is showing 286km/177miles!!
CT4S with 20’ summer tires
So yes it really depends how you drive.
At this rate, I won’t be able to drive to the next charger on my way back. But in reality, I just have to preheat the car and drive normally at steady speed and it shouldn’t be a problem
Porsche Taycan Taycan Range Test With New Software Update 98A314D9-9E4A-4668-BF7B-FBE5878F70BB

I’ll report if I can reach more than 400 km / 250 miles after the uPdate as I never saw anything higher.

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The difference he thinks he found would be within experimental error for these sort of differences so probably the difference is minimal.
The difference is probably not minimal. His first test was done under near ideal conditions with temps around 70F and he got 293.3 miles. This test was done under worse conditions with temps in the 80's and maybe as high as low 90's based on a peak at his dash, so he had a lot cabin and battery cooling going on. Plus wind. The main thing he had going for him in the second test was tire size. I don't think the difference is minor at all. The range increase for the car looks like a solid 5-6% increase with the update. Unless you consider that minimal.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The difference is probably not minimal. His first test was done under near ideal conditions with temps around 70F and he got 293.3 miles. This test was done under worse conditions with temps in the 80's and maybe as high as low 90's based on a peak at his dash, so he had a lot cabin and battery cooling going on. Plus wind. The main thing he had going for him in the second test was tire size. I don't think the difference is minor at all. The range increase for the car looks like a solid 5-6% increase with the update. Unless you consider that minimal.
I wouldn’t consider a 5% increase minimal but I would consider this test unscientific and not in any way reliable.

It probably is better but watching the video was a waste of my time.

Sadly typical internet “testing” IMHO. A side effect of the “death of expertise”

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You're right, it's not scientific. There are two many variables that can't be held constant. But there are scientific tests like EPA and WLPT run on a dynamometer but mostly nobody likes these.

At least people like Tom have a defined methodology which anyone with a Taycan and a GoPro can duplicate, and with more precision. I just wish he provided more details of his tests including screen shots to see what he is actually doing. If someone isn't into this, fair enough, but some are interested.

LLA53

First Name
Iain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE Grey Taycan 4S
Country flag
220 miles in a 4S sounds a little low IMHO, but I don't know your driving conditions, etc. My 2021 4S gets 435km (270 miles) routinely at 85% SOC. And I have the epic Mission-E rims. But I drive conservatively and rarely flog the beast. Plus, in winter my range reduces ~30%, when -0 deg C.

There's so many factors at play here. I don't mind Tom, he seems like a good guy, but the test wasn't very scientific at all.
I have mission E wheels too and I don’t have a heavy right foot, unless some young chap decides his Audi RS4 is quicker 😂
Sponsored