First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
https://apple.news/A3F8gmAy3SNGMPnWXTQxoyg

"Our road testers rank every EV on UK sale on 1 December 2023 – and reveal the world’s best buys"

The portion about the Taycan for people who can't see behind the (Apple News) paywall...

"PORSCHE TAYCAN

THE GOOD:
Still the best EV to drive: fast, responsive, fluid and even practical

THE BAD: You can get better range and efficiency for less money

THE UGLY: That Porsche options list can still drain your wallet

NEED TO KNOW: Much as every hatchback of the 2000s aimed to pinch the metaphorical crown from the Golf’s head (whether it was wearing it or not) every flagship EV from a prestige manufacturer in the last few years has been judged on whether or not it’s a ‘Tesla-beater’.

In the case of the Taycan, it most certainly is, though not based on numbers. Nevertheless boasting a decent real-world range and face-melting performance, it can’t outrun a Model S Plaid – but the Porsche driver will be having a far nicer time of it.

This remains the most joyful EV to drive, adeptly dealing with city traffic or motorway slogs but still absolutely capable of raising a full-width grin on a good road. For such a massive car it dispatches corners with aplomb while the alcantara-swaddled steering wheel is hooked up to a rack of splendid precision.

Middle child of five, the GTS is the car to go for – it gets 589bhp, with a less powerful front motor than its beefier Turbo and Turbo S siblings giving it more of a rear-driven character, while uprated suspension makes it a more purposeful offering than the regular Taycan 4 or 4S. No model is palatial, but you can opt for a Sport Turismo for a little extra boot practicality.

Various rivals will go faster, and further; they have more space, or better tech, or cost a whole lot less. None can compete with the Taycan for sheer driver enjoyment. And that’s why, in our countdown of the 87 electric cars on UK sale, it’s our Best Sports Car and the Best EV. Period.

THE ONE TO BUY: Middle child GTS hits the sweet spot of power, price and range

KEY DATA: Range 313 miles; efficiency 3.7 miles per kWh; max DC charging 20 minutes 10-80%"

If you're curious, they ranked Tesla Model 3 as #2 and Kia EV6 as #3. They ranked a total of 87 different vehicles.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hirschaj

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
If I take my mileage over the total KWh the EVSE has consumed I'm currently at 1.7mi/KWh.
Good man! Someone who drives it properly 😁

(Was a tongue in cheek post. Couldn't agree more with the article).

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
I agree on the Good, not on the Bad:
- efficiency: you don't buy (or don't expect) a Porsche (ICE or EV) for its consumption efficiency, or to save money. and it's efficiency on highway is really good
- range is irrelevant downtown (unless you're a taxi driver). On trips, what matters is the Edmunds EV charging test. it's one of the best

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/el...=times colonist: outbound&utm_medium=referral

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
- efficiency: you don't buy (or don't expect) a Porsche (ICE or EV) for its consumption efficiency, or to save money. and it's efficiency on highway is really good
- range is irrelevant downtown (unless you're a taxi driver). On trips, what matters is the Edmunds EV charging test. it's one of the best

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-charging.html?utm_source=times colonist&utm_campaign=times colonist: outbound&utm_medium=referral
Always assuming the infrastructure is there where you need it.
Not really the case yet here in the UK unless you have a Tesla.

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
you're absolutely right (I have zero knowledge about the UK network).
I did 48000 km in 1.5 yrs, on highways in BE, NL, CH, F, DE, IT and Greece. Never had an issue, had to wait only a couple of times. But I always plan the stops, based on ABRP, Plugshare, Charge Finder.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-charging.html?utm_source=times colonist&utm_campaign=times colonist: outbound&utm_medium=referral
Interesting article and method to evaluate the different efficiencies!

I am most surprised at the difference in charging losses as measured.

Lowest loss in Tesla model S 0.7% followed by model 3 and Y. 0.9%, Ford Mustang 1.0%

Highest loss in Polestar at 17.7%!!!! Nearly 1/5 of the energy lost in charging!!!

Most manufacturers coming in around 10%!

I am curious how there can be such a difference in charging losses!!?? 0.7% vs 17.7%.

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you're absolutely right (I have zero knowledge about the UK network).
I did 48000 km in 1.5 yrs, on highways in BE, NL, CH, F, DE, IT and Greece. Never had an issue, had to wait only a couple of times. But I always plan the stops, based on ABRP, Plugshare, Charge Finder.
I have found a charger on my main route requiring charging away from home which has been good. I found it using ZapMap but it doesn’t show on Porsche sat nav so even navigating to its location doesn’t precondition the battery. It is the only >50kW charger on the nicest part of the route.

Here inadequate investment in infrastructure and mainly only available on the motorways which I avoid as much as possible anyway means without home charging an EV is unsuited to my chosen lifestyle.

I am retired and journeys are for pleasure mainly rather than necessity. If I always had to use the route dictated by charger locations it would be so uninteresting I’d probably not bother to go.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Reactions: Gru

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have found a charger on my main route requiring charging away from home which has been good. I found it using ZapMap but it doesn’t show on Porsche sat nav so even navigating to its location doesn’t precondition the battery. It is the only >50kW charger on the nicest part of the route.

Here inadequate investment in infrastructure and mainly only available on the motorways which I avoid as much as possible anyway means without home charging an EV is unsuited to my chosen lifestyle.

I am retired and journeys are for pleasure mainly rather than necessity. If I always had to use the route dictated by charger locations it would be so uninteresting I’d probably not bother to go.
There is a remarkable lack of installations in the U.K. in general, which I have experienced first hand several times.

It is a challenge of course outside of the motorways and dual carriage ways.

It is easier to find small fuel stations in the country side of course.

In France I have seen many supermarkets now installing fast or ultrafast chargers. They of course are still close to larger towns etc, but positive development. How reliable they will be remains to be seen.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is a remarkable lack of installations in the U.K. in general, which I have experienced first hand several times.

It is a challenge of course outside of the motorways and dual carriage ways.

It is easier to find small fuel stations in the country side of course.

In France I have seen many supermarkets now installing fast or ultrafast chargers. They of course are still close to larger towns etc, but positive development. How reliable they will be remains to be seen.
The supermarket one I use near by daughter’s house is new but single stall and 50kW.
Several supermarkets that were early adopters of the charger in car park now have broken chargers that were free that they haven’t bothered to repair maybe because energy is now so expensive here.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
THE BAD: You can get better range and efficiency for less money
The author forgot higher power / faster acceleration (for less money). Perhaps not a thing for the author, which would also imply there is no value in higher trims like GTS, Turbo, Turbo S - other than the badge of course.
Sponsored