RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
I have found a charger on my main route requiring charging away from home which has been good. I found it using ZapMap but it doesn’t show on Porsche sat nav so even navigating to its location doesn’t precondition the battery. It is the only >50kW charger on the nicest part of the route.

Here inadequate investment in infrastructure and mainly only available on the motorways which I avoid as much as possible anyway means without home charging an EV is unsuited to my chosen lifestyle.

I am retired and journeys are for pleasure mainly rather than necessity. If I always had to use the route dictated by charger locations it would be so uninteresting I’d probably not bother to go.
Tory Government promises Infrastructure yet their mates in oil and gas sector continue to make huge profits yet fail to invest !
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Tory Government promises Infrastructure yet their mates in oil and gas sector continue to make huge profits yet fail to invest !
Yes they have failed magnificently on infrastructure investment promises. Like on more or less everything else.

OP
OP
Hirschaj

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
So in the past couples weeks on this forum there was a link to an article citing the Taycan as the most unreliable EV and now a link citing it as the best EV in the UK. As for me, I love my Taycan and it works. After almost 2 years of ownership my biggest complaint is the cost of insurance, yearly registration, and the dent in my wallet that's about to happen to replace tires. It's a Porsche though. I get it.

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
I wouldn’t call the Taycan an “Ev”; it’s a Porsche with an electric engine.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Interesting article and method to evaluate the different efficiencies!

I am most surprised at the difference in charging losses as measured.

Lowest loss in Tesla model S 0.7% followed by model 3 and Y. 0.9%, Ford Mustang 1.0%

Highest loss in Polestar at 17.7%!!!! Nearly 1/5 of the energy lost in charging!!!

Most manufacturers coming in around 10%!

I am curious how there can be such a difference in charging losses!!?? 0.7% vs 17.7%.
The Taycan also has rather high charging loses. It seems to be always around 200Watt. Even if charging at 16A single phase.
I wonder how you can burn 200 watt of power in something that basically just has to convert 230V AC to 700V DC.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The Taycan also has rather high charging loses. It seems to be always around 200Watt. Even if charging at 16A single phase.
I wonder how you can burn 200 watt of power in something that basically just has to convert 230V AC to 700V DC.
I thought that the test results and charging losses reflected charging at DC HPC not AC. But I may be wrong??

On an Ultra fast charge >250 kW, I can understand that there are losses since the cooling of the battery is needed, so pumps and cooling equipment on duty. But why Tesla and the Ford Mustang would be so low, does not make sense to me. My model 3 at 250 kW SuC certainly sounds like a jet ready for take off in warm weather! Same with Taycan.

I can understand the charging losses when charging on AC. Part is the conversion from AC to DC, as well as voltage upscaling, but other part is also the resistance in the battery that will heat up a bit. I have felt the heat from the charging system in the front of the Taycan. It also seems to start some pumps or fans judging by the noise.

My Tesla and Taycan on AC have shown to have similar losses when charging at home at 11 kW. Somewhere in the region of 7-9 %. Done this by comparing the consumption from my electrical panel to the value in the car.

Would be interesting to hear what Edmunds say about this huge difference, if one can reach out to them?

Reactions: Gru

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I don't see Taycan having higher loses than other EV's. I charge at 19.2KW (US 240V@80A) at home, same loss as my Tesla Model S charging at the same speed, about 10% (so in this case, almost 2,000W). I would expect anything above 2KW to have ~10% loss. At sub 2KW the percentage may get larger due to certain fixed draw by the Taycan's computers/pumps/etc (same for Tesla by the way) which would start dominating.

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The losses on mine have been more like 500W whenever I have checked. Probably mainly coolant pump, the coolant passage is long and complex.

It is a big proportion of the whole when charged on a 13A plug which I have had to do twice now. 2.6kW measured at the plug and 2.1kW reported on the Taycan screen.
On my home charger 7.2kW reported by the dispenser and 6.7kW on the Taycan display.

n3ophyte

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Nissan GT-R
Country flag
I had a new Zappi 7kW EVSE installed today and I’m seeing a 9.2% charging loss.

Charger output …

Porsche Taycan Taycan ranked best EV you can buy in UK IMG_1245

… then at the Taycan battery …

Porsche Taycan Taycan ranked best EV you can buy in UK IMG_1246

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Then look at Polestar 17.7% loss!

D00

First Name
Doo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne, Much Missed 911 C4S
Country flag
https://apple.news/A3F8gmAy3SNGMPnWXTQxoyg

"Our road testers rank every EV on UK sale on 1 December 2023 – and reveal the world’s best buys"

The portion about the Taycan for people who can't see behind the (Apple News) paywall...

"PORSCHE TAYCAN

THE GOOD:
Still the best EV to drive: fast, responsive, fluid and even practical

THE BAD: You can get better range and efficiency for less money

THE UGLY: That Porsche options list can still drain your wallet

NEED TO KNOW: Much as every hatchback of the 2000s aimed to pinch the metaphorical crown from the Golf’s head (whether it was wearing it or not) every flagship EV from a prestige manufacturer in the last few years has been judged on whether or not it’s a ‘Tesla-beater’.

In the case of the Taycan, it most certainly is, though not based on numbers. Nevertheless boasting a decent real-world range and face-melting performance, it can’t outrun a Model S Plaid – but the Porsche driver will be having a far nicer time of it.

This remains the most joyful EV to drive, adeptly dealing with city traffic or motorway slogs but still absolutely capable of raising a full-width grin on a good road. For such a massive car it dispatches corners with aplomb while the alcantara-swaddled steering wheel is hooked up to a rack of splendid precision.

Middle child of five, the GTS is the car to go for – it gets 589bhp, with a less powerful front motor than its beefier Turbo and Turbo S siblings giving it more of a rear-driven character, while uprated suspension makes it a more purposeful offering than the regular Taycan 4 or 4S. No model is palatial, but you can opt for a Sport Turismo for a little extra boot practicality.

Various rivals will go faster, and further; they have more space, or better tech, or cost a whole lot less. None can compete with the Taycan for sheer driver enjoyment. And that’s why, in our countdown of the 87 electric cars on UK sale, it’s our Best Sports Car and the Best EV. Period.

THE ONE TO BUY: Middle child GTS hits the sweet spot of power, price and range

KEY DATA: Range 313 miles; efficiency 3.7 miles per kWh; max DC charging 20 minutes 10-80%"

If you're curious, they ranked Tesla Model 3 as #2 and Kia EV6 as #3. They ranked a total of 87 different vehicles.
Has anyone ever seen a range of 313 miles?
Sponsored