Taycan re-sale issues

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
In my own case, which I considered early '22, savings rates were too low, but of course had I known that within a year they'd be up to nearly the PCP APR (had I taken it originally), it would have been a good choice (especially in light of disappointing depreciation). However it became a moot point when I decided that I valued the flexibility of outright ownership more.
If you had a crystal ball telling you the future, you could have invested your money and cashed out a brand new Taycan GT to be announced in a week with your original investment back and some change leftover. If only we knew the future, right? ;)
Sponsored

Zippy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 CT4S
Country flag
I have recently purchased a 2023 4s CT from an OPC. I had 16 cars saved in my watch list and over the past two weeks 10 are no longer available so I assume sold. Another customer was collecting a six month old Taycan GTS at the same time as I was. It seems they are selling at the right price but I think selling outside of the OPC network is difficult. The asking price for my car had dropped £20k since being first advertised in August 23.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
If you had a crystal ball telling you the future, you could have invested your money and cashed out a brand new Taycan GT to be announced in a week with your original investment back and some change leftover. If only we knew the future, right? ;)
Indeed. There's a strong business case for a DeLorean (lightly modded with a Flux Capacitor of course).

n3ophyte

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Nissan GT-R
Country flag
More knowledge on EV repair is crucial, especially for enthusiasts who enjoy working on their cars.
We can all fiddle with trivial bits now but fundamentally an idle combustion engine is unlikely to kill you. However, an 800v DC electrical system can do so easily. Not sure the Taycan‘s HV traction system will ever be “safe” for enthusiasts and hobbyists to work on?

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
Lower used prices will reduce new car purchases, hitting Porsche pocket too. It will also reduce residual values, causing lease payments to climb, also reducing Porsche sales. Refresh may help Porsche a little bit, as they may try to push a "refresh will depreciate slower" theory, but not sure many people will buy it.

With the car market recent correction, some car manufacturers are writing checks to leasing companies to cover their loses from used car values falling significantly below residuals. They do that so that the leasing companies don't tank the residuals for new cars being sold today. I wonder if Porsche has been compensating leasing companies for their loses. I guess next year will tell, as 2 years ago the car values peaked, as did the residuals, and 3 year leases are ending in a year.
Sorry if I have missed discussion on this point, but wouldn’t it be useful to have a facility at Porsche, maybe at only certain regional centers, where the large HV battery is refreshed, plus any other mechanical repair is made. A warranty of, say, 3 years is given on the refurbished car. Whether you are looking to resell or just keep the vehicle, such a facility would take a lot of sweat out of EV ownership.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Indeed. There's a strong business case for a DeLorean (lightly modded with a Flux Capacitor of course).
My flux capacitor works - I travel back to the 1980s every time I drive my DeLorean. (In my mind at least)

OP
OP

Nasko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SQ8
Country flag
I recently bought a Taycan but here's the feedback I have received:
1. Taycans are not optioned well - Do you know how hard it is to find a Taycan with Mission E wheels, Adaptive Cruise and Sport Chrono?
2. Charging Network
3. Lower range than Tesla, Vinfast and Polestar
4. In some people's eyes it is still very expensive used (I think it is an amazing deal now)
5. Interest rates
6. Apparently Porsches Lease programs aren't too bad if you are afraid of depreciation and you can lease a used Taycan as well
7. Battery technology always a concern
8. I bought mine privately and the owner bought a Tesla Plaid and already owns an X. Crazy right?

Hang tight - why do you want to let it go? Can I boldly ask? It is in fact a gorgeous car!!
The car is amazing, I need to change it out of necessity for longer travels as I already own another EV, so naturally I want to sell the more expensive and newer car which in my case is the Taycan.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Sorry if I have missed discussion on this point, but wouldn’t it be useful to have a facility at Porsche, maybe at only certain regional centers, where the large HV battery is refreshed, plus any other mechanical repair is made. A warranty of, say, 3 years is given on the refurbished car. Whether you are looking to resell or just keep the vehicle, such a facility would take a lot of sweat out of EV ownership.
I suspect this will become available once lots of Taycans start rolling off of the 8 year battery warranty. Tesla for example sells refurb batteries for their >8yr old cars. There are some third party shops to which can fix individual cells with salvage parts.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
An idle electric motor won’t kill you either but a bucket of gasoline will. Need to compare the same things :)

glon

First Name
Gareth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I do need to sell it, due to my daily commute changing and requiring 3x the range that the Taycan currently gives me. I am inlove with the machine and wouldn't have changed it unless I needed to. I already am flexible with the price, but I'm not giving it away for free haha

Second hand EV market is just insane, I couldn't have guessed that a year ago, looks like I'll keep my wife's etron for now, but I'll be going for a PHEV if anyone comes around and buys the Taycan...
I suspect you could have guessed it. The main reason the resale value is low for EVs (not just the Taucan) is that most governments offer very attractive tax incentives for buying a new one, but they’re either not there or much lower for second hand ones. That’s the reason.

as a company owner in the U.K. I got my brand new tycan for essentially half the ticket price after the tax benefits.

A company director in the U.K. buying the same car second hand has the choice to either pay a lot more from their own pocket or to buy a brand new one for essentially the same price as your second hand one after the tax benefits.