Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
For anyone contemplating the two, it’s worth watching Henry Catchpole (Carfection) on YT as he reviews the RWD. I don’t want to influence either way as I have a 4S on order (though likely to cancel now), but Catchpole makes a compelling case for the RWD.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
For anyone contemplating the two, it’s worth watching Henry Catchpole (Carfection) on YT as he reviews the RWD. I don’t want to influence either way as I have a 4S on order (though likely to cancel now), but Catchpole makes a compelling case for the RWD.
Traditionalists will always go 4S over a base model - period. Pay your money and make your choice!

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
Traditionalists will always go 4S over a base model - period. Pay your money and make your choice!
I know that and have always followed that policy with many 911’s over the years! Some time ago my then neighbour bought the base 997 while I owned the 911S, I struggled to justify my choice after driving his, less speed but more fun.

ETA that Catchpole is one of the few I take seriously when it comes to motoring journalists, he’s up there with the best IMO.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I know that and have always followed that policy with many 911’s over the years! Some time ago my then neighbour bought the base 997 while I owned the 911S, I struggled to justify my choice after driving his, less speed but more fun.

ETA that Catchpole is one of the few I take seriously when it comes to motoring journalists, he’s up there with the best IMO.
An 'S' is not a '4S'

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
An 'S' is not a '4S'
I’ve had S, 4S, GTS and GT3 over the years of 911 ownership. That in no way qualifies me as any sort of expert, just making the point that sometimes less is more and Catchpole (who he) would seem to agree. My ‘best’ 911 was a 993 Carrera 2, back in the 1990’s, a brilliant drive, but probably of no relevance to this debate!

sorry to edit again, but in 911 terms a ‘traditionalist’ really wouldn’t go anything but 2WD and manual.

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
A month ago I found a new RWD that was specced with PB+, sport chrono, and air suspension

However I didn’t think the RWD and it’s 0-60 starting with a “5” would be enough (I was coming from an F80 m3)

I poured over every RWD review on the inter webs and scoured the message boards for “RWD v 4S”

finally I thought of a good idea and test drove a 4S and RWD back to back at a dealer that happened to have two on the lot (both CPOs)…that was the clincher!

the RWD felt quick and more fun to drive than the 4S and imho didn’t feel that much slower. I reckoned that for my use case it would be the better car

after several hundred miles (incl 1 road trip) and weeks of driving it as my dd the RWD is 100% more than fast enough and I would go so far as to say I definitely do not want/need anything faster. I drive a lot of highways and it’s great, I drive a lot of local as well and the extra speed would be useless stop light after stop light. Also feel like it handled better than the 4S.

diegomedinaf

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
A month ago I found a new RWD that was specced with PB+, sport chrono, and air suspension

However I didn’t think the RWD and it’s 0-60 starting with a “5” would be enough (I was coming from an F80 m3)

I poured over every RWD review on the inter webs and scoured the message boards for “RWD v 4S”

finally I thought of a good idea and test drove a 4S and RWD back to back at a dealer that happened to have two on the lot (both CPOs)…that was the clincher!

the RWD felt quick and more fun to drive than the 4S and imho didn’t feel that much slower. I reckoned that for my use case it would be the better car

after several hundred miles (incl 1 road trip) and weeks of driving it as my dd the RWD is 100% more than fast enough and I would go so far as to say I definitely do not want/need anything faster. I drive a lot of highways and it’s great, I drive a lot of local as well and the extra speed would be useless stop light after stop light. Also feel like it handled better than the 4S.
exactly what i did 1 week before my freeze date to make sure i was doing the right choice with my RWD. i felt no need to go to the 4S over the RWD ( air susp ), 4s vs regular suspension are 2 worlds, for sure if RWD didnt have the option on the air susp, i've done a 4s for sure.

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
exactly what i did 1 week before my freeze date to make sure i was doing the right choice with my RWD. i felt no need to go to the 4S over the RWD ( air susp ), 4s vs regular suspension are 2 worlds, for sure if RWD didnt have the option on the air susp, i've done a 4s for sure.
As somebody else mentioned, there is a tendency with Porsche to shy away from base models, maybe it’s because we think if we are shelling out that much money why scrimp? I know dealers always tell you the residuals won’t be as strong and in the case of 911’s I think that’s true, but the Porsche EV market is immature and very different in its structure.

I haven’t driven the RWD, but from what I have read and watched I get the sense that it might be the better drive, simply because it appears to steer, brake and handle better than other iterations. It’s obviously not as quick but I guess that’s where we draw the line, how often can you exploit straight line acceleration agains a cars other characteristics? A personal choice as always, but I’m not sure that less isn’t more in the case of the Taycan.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag

I had a BMW M2 for 4+ years prior to getting my RWD (PB+/air suspension) Taycan.
The Taycan is actually faster in every day driving. A tad slower just off the line (weight) but from then on its noticeably quicker and more responsive.

However, it is a lot bigger/heavier which I do feel at corners and when braking hard.

So RWD works for me, as I dont want any more performance, yet I do appreciate it being lighter and more agile / better steering than a 4S.
The (lighter) Standard battery would probably suit me better still, but I do prefer the extra range and performance of PB+.

If we get a bad winter though, I may wish I had a 4S.
Sponsored

Last edited: