Taycan RWD vs Tesla Model 3 LR 0-100Kmph Acceleration ?

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Paying 6k for sport chrono that gives you a button and a thicker steering wheel vs the same amount for a battery upgrade that gives you real world performance…

maybe euro sport chrono pack is different than us. But seems goofy to me.
Eh? in the UK at least, the PB+ is an extra £4k, while the Sports chrono is less than £800.
Sponsored

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
So, is there anyone who was a previous owner of Tesla Model 3 LR and has moved to Taycan RWD.
My wife drives a Model 3 LR, I drive a Taycan RWD.

Her car is definitely faster off the line.
The Taycan has better driving feel though, and it's still plenty fast...it feels a lot faster than my prior 991.1 Targa 4S (even though on paper it's not.)

I plan to order a 2023 in PTS Guards Red and will probably stick with RWD, though I've admittedly been tempted to bump to 4S.

I do have the Performance Battery+ and don't regret that.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Paying 6k for sport chrono that gives you a button and a thicker steering wheel vs the same amount for a battery upgrade that gives you real world performance…

maybe euro sport chrono pack is different than us. But seems goofy to me.
Sport chrono is $1,320, not $6k.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Tesla Model 3 is very very hard to beat for performance vs. price…Porsche loses here.

If you want a great car and a mediocre EV buy the Porsche
If you want a great EV and a mediocre car buy the Tesla
Porsche does software/tech as well as Tesla does mechanical engineering…
Tesla does software/tech as well as Porsche does mechanical engineering…

pick your poison - neither car is like the other and both excel in different categories.

Last edited:

JamesP

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
Hi, I currently drive a Tesla Model 3 Long Range 2021 and its bloody fast, exactly what I always wanted to have.
I think, its easily doing 0-100Kmph in 4.3 seconds.
And if I buy the acceleration boost for 2000$, I can get around 3.7 seconds only.
Absolutely no regrets for the Tesla, as its a perfect car and I love it.

But since I have always leaned towards more luxury and driving pleasure, I want to go for the Taycan.
Now, Im not sure, if I should get the RWD or 4S.
4S is of course getting out of the budget, but if RWD is really slower than Model 3 LR - then I think I will have to go for 4S, but again its beyond budget.

So, is there anyone who was a previous owner of Tesla Model 3 LR and has moved to Taycan RWD.

My dealership has 4S on test drive but no RWD yet. So, Im not able to test it myself too.
Let me know.
So I am going to a RWD ST having owned a M3P. The Tesla is a bit of a hooligan and if you really like the sensation of the 0-60 speed you probably will find the RWD a bit mild.
I test drove both the 4s and the RWD and whilst the 4S had notable oomph I actually preferred the “feel” of the RWD - it felt more of a pinpointed drive for me which is what I liked.
And as others have said the over taking stats are still good.
In summary therefore I have gone with RWD with probably too many options but I like to have a “curated” car so whilst others may think leather sunvisors are a waste I like the way that it makes it mine! And at the end of the day that is what you are paying the premium for.

But I will keep it for a while and what also swing it for me was the RWD also eeked out a few more miles of range which now having to rely on public chargers away from Tesla maybe more of an issue!

And in terms of software the Taycan is not so tech heavy. The Tesla screen is for me a bit of a gimmick and frustrating / distraction so quite enjoyed the simplicity of the car play interface and a wiper function that worked!
Whether RWD or 4s I will think you will be happy!

OP
OP
soamz

soamz

First Name
Soumendra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2022 arriving this week
Country flag
I think I will have to test drive both and see what feels better.
When I try to config it, it seems RWD without Performance battery plus is kind of useless.

And at the same time, 4S comes with everything included in it as a package.

tomtom901

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD ST
Country flag
In summary therefore I have gone with RWD with probably too many options but I like to have a “curated” car so whilst others may think leather sunvisors are a waste I like the way that it makes it mine! And at the end of the day that is what you are paying the premium for.
Exactly, for me it was a well optioned RWD vs base 4s. Rather have the RWD in this case. Let's face it, like @daveo4EV said, the Tesla is a good EV for the price. However, in NL you see many Tesla's which have 5 year tax advantages - so I was also partially worried about the resale of Tesla's, in 2024 we see 30-40k models coming on the secondhand market.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
IMO if you skip the performance battery, there will come a day when you regret that choice.

Maybe after a few years of battery wear, maybe at resale time.

No such thing as too much range.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I think I will have to test drive both and see what feels better.
When I try to config it, it seems RWD without Performance battery plus is kind of useless.

And at the same time, 4S comes with everything included in it as a package.
4S is the sweet spot and IMHO the minimum entry point…

I personally coming from a Model 3 Perf. opted for the Turbo - I simply couldn’t stomach the idea of “slower” for more money - so I went for equal for more money.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
4S is the sweet spot and IMHO the minimum entry point…

I personally coming from a Model 3 Perf. opted for the Turbo - I simply couldn’t stomach the idea of “slower” for more money - so I went for equal for more money.
I went M3P to 4S. The Model 3 performance is notably quicker, but real world I think it’s more novelty than usable and the 4S is more than quick enough for me. The M3P is a bit too quick for that chassis - steering feels unstable at times.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry back when I purchased sport chrono was a package with a bunch of useless bits for 5k or so. Truly terrible.
That’s the Performance Package, with RWS, PTV+, PDCC Sport, and Sport chrono. And it’s a good deal at its price. But you can still spec sport chrono alone for way less.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
That’s the Performance Package, with RWS, PTV+, PDCC Sport, and Sport chrono. And it’s a good deal at its price. But you can still spec sport chrono alone for way less.
Old days you could not.
Sponsored