atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Coming from Tesla, I’m used to getting a lot of telematics info/remote control capabilities via the Tesla app. Teslas have a M2M interface that communicates with “the cloud” (not really a fan of that term) so I can see at a glance my SOC, enable/stop charging, lock/unlock/remote “start”, etc.

Not having the car yet but reading up on the Porsche Connect App, it seems like the app can do some of these things, but it’s all predicated on having/using the Porsche Mobile Connect EVSE, which apparently also acts as the M2M interface for telematics & remote control purposes.

I currently have a hard wired Tesla EVSE that I had planned to keep using via a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter. That’s from my dual-charger Model S days, so it’s wired for delivering 80A continuous. Way more than the Taycan needs, but it’s a sunk cost, plus is capable of charging the Taycan at its maximum rate.

But then I learned that the PMC was necessary to bridge the car to the Porsche Connect app. But I’m wondering, do I just need the PMC to be powered up & on the same WiFi network as the Taycan, or does it need to be plugged into the car in order to access its telematics? If it’s the former, I could find a place to squirrel away the PMC to use it as a (physically huge) “gateway” while still using my Tesla HPWC to do the actual charging.

NTL, I wish the car could communicate directly to Porsche’s “cloud” in this regard.
Sponsored

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Coming from Tesla, I’m used to getting a lot of telematics info/remote control capabilities via the Tesla app. Teslas have a M2M interface that communicates with “the cloud” (not really a fan of that term) so I can see at a glance my SOC, enable/stop charging, lock/unlock/remote “start”, etc.

Not having the car yet but reading up on the Porsche Connect App, it seems like the app can do some of these things, but it’s all predicated on having/using the Porsche Mobile Connect EVSE, which apparently also acts as the M2M interface for telematics & remote control purposes.

I currently have a hard wired Tesla EVSE that I had planned to keep using via a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter. That’s from my dual-charger Model S days, so it’s wired for delivering 80A continuous. Way more than the Taycan needs, but it’s a sunk cost, plus is capable of charging the Taycan at its maximum rate.

But then I learned that the PMC was necessary to bridge the car to the Porsche Connect app. But I’m wondering, do I just need the PMC to be powered up & on the same WiFi network as the Taycan, or does it need to be plugged into the car in order to access its telematics? If it’s the former, I could find a place to squirrel away the PMC to use it as a (physically huge) “gateway” while still using my Tesla HPWC to do the actual charging.

NTL, I wish the car could communicate directly to Porsche’s “cloud” in this regard.
I am not sure that you need the PMC or PMCC charger to use the Porsche Connect app for monitoring or triggering the car’s functions. Where did you read that?

OP
OP
atebit

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That was the reasoning I was given behind the $1200 USD upcharge for the PMCC...I got the impression that the car needed to use that as a gateway. ?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The Taycan telematics features work similar to Tesla - nothing to do with PMCC. The PMCC does support connectivity to your home WiFi network to monitor the PMCC itself (e.g. charging status, charging history). For MY2021 Taycans, the vehicle state of charge can be communicated to the PMCC as well. For all other vehicle control features, PMCC is irrelevant.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

if you are hoping that the taycan will be as technology enabled as the tesla you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
I don't think that I've had my PCCM properly connected but it charges the car every time I plug it in so for me it works fine.
the porsche connect app can be quite wonky but I really don't rely on any of it's functions so it works good enough for me.

I do not believe that the PCCM connection is necessary for the PCM to function, the wonkiness of the PCM has more to do with the issues of the mainframe system.

It appears that at the current time there will be limited OTA updates to the car, all I've ever received after the initial setup were map updates.
My take on this is that none of these issues have any impact on the drivability of car so I really don't pay some of the flaws much mind.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I use a third party charger and can connect to the car just fine to check on door locks, set climate, initiate direct charging, set a Nav destination etc.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
You do not need to have the PMCC or PMC + to control Climate Control or Charging. You can not do more than that though. You can see if the car I locked and doors and windows are closed, but not perform any changes. That requires a walk to the car and do it there.
You will also see the SOC and trip data as well as overall mileage.

if you have not done so already, please download the Porsche Good to Know app. There is a lot of information there but it is not the easiest to navigate and find exactly what you are looking for.

You will most likely be disappointed with what you will be able to do with the Connect app, it is not the most advanced app and lacks much compared to Tesla app.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I check the range and or charging status once in a while on the app. Occasionally it actually works to adjust the climate controls. Other than that, I find it useless

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
You do not need to have the PMCC or PMC + to control Climate Control or Charging. You can not do more than that though. You can see if the car I locked and doors and windows are closed, but not perform any changes. That requires a walk to the car and do it there.
One clarification to this, well at least in Canada and on a MY2021, you can lock the doors with the app. You can’t adjust the windows though.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
One clarification to this, well at least in Canada and on a MY2021, you can lock the doors with the app. You can’t adjust the windows though.
Ok That is not available in my car MY20. Probably missing some hardware.

OP
OP
atebit

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies & clarifications. Good to know that I don’t need Yet Another Gateway on my home network.

From what I’ve seen with the Connect App, I already know that it won’t be the same UX as the Tesla app. I’m ok with minimum viable product at this point, as long as its MY idea of “MV”. :) Sounds like it currently checks all my boxes though.

ardevd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I'm still waiting for my Taycan but having had Teslas before and more recently a Jaguar I-Pace, I'm fully aware how the industry is lagging behind Tesla in many ways.

I ended up developing my own remote control app for the Jag. It's on Google Play .

Although it's a ton of work, I might end up doing the same for the Taycan. The API is a bit different but it should be relatively simple to work with.

If there's community interest for it, that would be an even stronger motivator :)

OP
OP
atebit

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can I haz iPhone verzun? :)

Never written a mobile app but I have programming experience, maybe I can help.