FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Whether or not the car is totaled is not known as it yet is to be adjusted. A reasonable approach is when the vehicles fair market value less its salvage exceeds cost of repair, the insurance company will total it.

Airbags, seats, lights, frame issues, battery components or the whole battery will add up quickly. My guess is the salvage value will be very high on this car, Porsche's usually are insanely high. This alone my be the driving factor in the equation.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Others have said similar, but for reference, I had a 2017 A4 that had a relatively minor accident without airbag deployment. new bumper, new crash bar, frame alignment, new headlamp, and repaint. initial estimate was 12k, ended up being over 25k and took 3 months to get fixed. that car was 42k MSRP brand new and should have been totaled and would have been if the estimate had been proper.

here just from visual, there is absolutely damage to the HV electronics where the charger is, headlamp, and i would be shocked if there wasn't frame damage and suspension damage. if the HV battery is impacted, that's a new pack most likely and I would expect a total loss.

FWIW my A4 drove perfectly and you'd never have known it had damage, so repairing the suspension and appearance of the paint and panels is no big issue for high end cars. the HV electronics and furthermore getting the parts will be the issue. if they can't repair it in a reasonable time frame, they will (I believe) be obliged to write it off and either way you will be entitled to diminished value if it's not. best of luck and please do update us. sorry you have to deal with this.

Squiden

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Sorry for the accident - I know how painful and annoying it can be. Glad to hear everyone is okay.

My car was re-ended hard (55mph) about 5 months ago - no air bags deployed, and that came to just over $50k in repairs. Because your airbags deployed, I think you'll be north of my $50k point, but may not be totaled (I really tried to get mine to be marked as totaled and they just couldn't get there).

Good news is that it only took 4 months to do the repairs, and that was after losing a month trying to find a certified shop that could get the car in, so supply chain wise it's not as bad as originally feared.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Turbo Accident - Damage Opinion QGEY9213.JPG

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
If you lived somewhere other than Texas, the vehicle might be more likely to be totaled, as each state has their own threshold for what percentage value the repair cost exceeds to be considered a total loss. In Texas, the threshold is 100%, so you're more likely to see your car repaired, than if you lived in a state with a lower threshold.

https://totallossappraisals.com/total-loss-threshold-by-state/

With the airbag deployments, I suspect you're looking at a total loss, especially given used car values are dropping. Best wishes with whatever outcome you prefer. Obviously neither is ideal, but at least nothing more important was lost.

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
Ufff. Sorry to hear about the accident. Most importantly the car did its job keeping you safe.

Like others have mentioned, given the lack of parts availability and the general cost of repairs for modern cars, it's more likely a total-loss than not. It'll be annoying to replace the car, but, much better than dealing with a repairs vehicle and a major accident on record.

OP
OP
lighteningturbo

lighteningturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, 992 TTS, Cayenne Coupe S (on order)
Country flag
As a new owner, curious what the outcome has been here...
Update for everyone:
Car was totaled and our own insurance took very good care of us. Turns out the other driver who was at fault was not listed on the insurance policy. Additionally, the policy holder had a limits issue due to not having enough coverage. My insurance had to step up and is still dealing with the subrogation process. We were blessed to be able to get a 2023 Taycan GTS from our local dealership the same week the accident occurred and are loving the GTS. Turns out this created a wild bug for a 992 TTS so we snagged one of those around the same time as the GTS. 🙃😎

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Update for everyone:
Car was totaled and our own insurance took very good care of us. Turns out the other driver who was at fault was not listed on the insurance policy. Additionally, the policy holder had a limits issue due to not having enough coverage. My insurance had to step up and is still dealing with the subrogation process. We were blessed to be able to get a 2023 Taycan GTS from our local dealership the same week the accident occurred and are loving the GTS. Turns out this created a wild bug for a 992 TTS so we snagged one of those around the same time as the GTS. 🙃😎
What insurance company?