frankchn

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 TTS, Taycan TTS
Country flag
First time going to Thunderhill West and had a blast. First time at THill West so ran in the novice group to learn the track, but got a couple of clear laps. I am not an experienced track driver by any means so my times are pretty slow.

Some notes:
  • Low-speed acceleration is impressive, the EV torque really does help.
  • 5150 lbs is a lot of weight, and despite all the PDCC, RAS, etc... that Porsche includes, you can definitely feel it.
  • There is an EA charger at Willows Wal-Mart about 7 miles away from the track with 350 kW capability. Entirely possible to drive to EA after each session, charge, and make it back in time for the next session.
  • The tires (PZero Elect) on the car gives way before anything else. I might swap the tires for PS4S or something else when they are done.
  • No overheating issues with the way I was driving (90+ F ambient) but I can see a more experienced driver getting the car to overheat. The fans were on overdrive as I left the track after each 20 minute session.
Happy to answer any questions!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla(s), 911 GT3, Boxster S, Bolt, Taycan, Cayenn
Country flag
it's useful in the future to pull up battery temp on the "information" gauge if you'r'e going to be tracking the Taycan - 132F is the "magic" number - once Taycan reaches 132F it will reduce max throttle capacity to limit max discharge rate which lowers the amount of heat being dumped into the battery as a result of high discharge rates - it's entirely possible to track a Taycan with no overheating if you don't reach the 132F battery temp.

looks like fun - thunderhill is my 2nd most favorite track local to the bay area

what was your consumption per session?

OP
OP

frankchn

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 TTS, Taycan TTS
Country flag
Thanks, will do that next time. Consumption is about 45-50% per 20 minute session, which translates to about 11-13 laps. I expect the consumption to be higher at most other tracks, since Thunderhill West is fairly low speed compared to Laguna Seca or Sonoma, etc...

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, X3, CT4
Country flag
Nice!!

I saw the traction control (PSM) come active accelerating out of a few corners. Noticeable at all to the driver? We’re you in PSM Sport or the default PSM setting?

I meant to try a couple laps with PSM on to see how intrusive it is on my last track day but didn’t get the chance. I found in the wet it was a bit too active and pulled too much power for too long.

OP
OP

frankchn

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 TTS, Taycan TTS
Country flag
Nice!!

I saw the traction control (PSM) come active accelerating out of a few corners. Noticeable at all to the driver? We’re you in PSM Sport or the default PSM setting?

I meant to try a couple laps with PSM on to see how intrusive it is on my last track day but didn’t get the chance. I found in the wet it was a bit too active and pulled too much power for too long.
Default PSM setting for the run in the video. I think it was noticeable but not overly intrusive. I would turn it down a setting to PSM Sport the next time since I am now more familiar with the track.

Vivid Racing