Taycan Turbo - the most problematic car I've ever owned - by far!

OP
OP
Pook

Pook

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Quite a few months have passed so thought I'd post an update. I've been in contact with the "Principle" at the dealership to talk over the problems and explore options. I was given a buy-back option but the amount wasn't great, and I feel didn't factor in all the grief since day 1. I was going to bite the bullet and then this chap suddenly left, including his second in command, at least on this topic. So I've escalated this to Porsche GB as the troubles have just continued. So in addition to the original list (and updates), in nice purple bold.

• Passenger screen faulty on day 1
  • Software issues, bluetooth issues, mostly fixed with updates
  • 4 Recall notices
  • Airconditioner stopped blowing
  • Buzzing noise (booked in 4 times! Still an issue). Eventually managed to find it's coming from mode selector and responding to vibrations coming through the steering wheel. Still ongoing...
  • Spare key went flat after 3 months, then 2 months later, then 3 months after that, and so on (booked in each time). Swapped with main key, and the problem sticks with that particular key. This was eventually resolved over 5 attempts, including dealership booking the car in for 2 days and forgetting to order the part (they told me afterwards)
  • Heater fails (out of commission for 3 months!) required heater unit replacement, scratches to dash following (they have repaired the scratches)
  • Airconditioning fails, required 8 servos replaced
  • Airconditioning stopped blowing again (20 April - 2 months after last fix). Carried out flap motor learn
  • Camera / Roof Console (against the windscreen) rattles constantly (developed since windscreen removed to address above servo/heater replacement)
  • Brakes squealing excessively. This isn't the whine a lot of people get (I get that too), or the odd squeak when braking (normal too), but a loud squeal-stop-squeal-stop-squeal-stop as the wheel turns while driving (not braking) at anything up to about 30 MPH
  • Noted during recent service (at a different Porsche dealership) that 3 tyres are NF0, 1 is NA0. They have said that Taycans should be NF0, and 911's should be NA0 rated. Reviewed camera footage (I always video as have had damage done by the Porsche Centre before) and they have always been that way. Also note local dealer has always had them as NF0 on inspection reports (so those reports aren't very thorough!). That's going to be another fight!
  • Noted during recent service that OSF Brake Pipe Flexi is twisted. Been quoted 165 to get that fixed, but I really think that should be covered by Porsche as I've certainly never removed the calipers (which is apparently how they can become twisted in the first place, watch out for the pipe positioning when refitting).
Seriously suspect my car has more history than my dealership are telling me! We'll see what Porsche GB have to say. They will apparently take it up with my dealership so won't hold my breath on that.:angry:
Sponsored

Last edited:

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag
Also sounds like your dealer is one to avoid. This reads like a lemon that might also be re-squeezed by some very unprofessional 'repair'/'build' work by your dealer. Very unfortunate, but please don't judge Taycans in general by this experience. I hope you find a resolution soon.

I would think about legal action here, this is not the experience P wants you to have and they may prefer to get you into a new car than suffer through a bunch of negotiations that they are likely to come out underneath. The difficult thing is, what is the dealer's responsibility and what is P's, that is something they need to wrangle between them and likely you're caught in the middle. Don't settle. Make them make this right. Good luck.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Quite a few months have passed so thought I'd post an update. I've been in contact with the "Principle" at the dealership to talk over the problems and explore options. I was given a buy-back option but the amount wasn't great, and I feel didn't factor in all the grief since day 1. I was going to bite the bullet and then this chap suddenly left, including his second in command, at least one this topic. So I've escalated this to Porsche GB as the troubles have just continued. So in addition to the original list (and updates), in nice purple.

• 4 Recall notices
  • Buzzing noise (booked in 4 times! Still an issue). Eventually managed to find it's coming from mode selector and responding to vibrations coming through the steering wheel. Still ongoing...
  • Spare key went flat after 3 months, then 2 months later, then 3 months after that, and so on (booked in each time). Swapped with main key, and the problem sticks with that particular key. This was eventually resolved over 5 attempts, including dealership booking the car in for 2 days and forgetting to order the part (they told me afterwards)
  • Heater fails (out of commission for 3 months!) required heater unit replacement, scratches to dash following (they have repaired the scratches)
  • Airconditioning stopped blowing again (20 April - 2 months after last fix). Carried out flap motor learn
  • Camera / Roof Console (against the windscreen) rattles constantly (developed since windscreen removed to address above servo/heater replacement)
  • Brakes squealing excessively. This isn't the whine a lot of people get (I get that too) but a loud squeal-stop-squeal-stop-squeal-stop as the wheel turns while driving (not braking) at anything up to about 30 MPH
  • Noted during recent service (at a different Porsche dealership) that 3 tyres are NF0, 1 is NA0. They have said that Taycans should be NF0, and 911's should be NA0 rated. Reviewed camera footage (I always video as have had damage done by the Porsche Centre before) and they have always been that way. That's going to be another fight!
  • Noted during recent service that OSF Brake Pipe Flexi is twisted. Been quoted 165 to get that fixed, but I really think that should be covered by Porsche as I've certainly never removed the calipers (which is apparently how they can become twisted in the first place, watch out for the pipe positioning when refitting).
Seriously suspect my car has more history than my dealership are telling me! We'll see what Porsche GB have to say. They will apparently take it up with my dealership so won't hold my breath on that.:angry:
Just FYI, here is what your purple text looks like on a browser that is in dark mode...

Porsche Taycan Taycan Turbo - the most problematic car I've ever owned - by far! Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 12.56.50 PM

OP
OP
Pook

Pook

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just FYI, here is what your purple text looks like on a browser that is in dark mode...

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 12.56.50 PM.png
Ewww... yuk! Noted, thanks. I don't think any colour combo works for both, so I've just edited the post and made it bold instead.

OP
OP
Pook

Pook

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Also sounds like your dealer is one to avoid. This reads like a lemon that might also be re-squeezed by some very unprofessional 'repair'/'build' work by your dealer. Very unfortunate, but please don't judge Taycans in general by this experience. I hope you find a resolution soon.

I would think about legal action here, this is not the experience P wants you to have and they may prefer to get you into a new car than suffer through a bunch of negotiations that they are likely to come out underneath. The difficult thing is, what is the dealer's responsibility and what is P's, that is something they need to wrangle between them and likely you're caught in the middle. Don't settle. Make them make this right. Good luck.
Yes I think there's a definite issue with this dealer. If I wasn't blindly in love with the car at first sight, I might have had the common sense to run for the hills. I expect everyone gets something wrong every now and then, but I've got definite theme going.

I was told a few conflicting stories before we completed the purchase. I wanted to delay the purchase by 10 days as here in the UK we have a different number plates for different years and it's best to get the newer one. They wouldn't have it and fed me what I suspect was a load of rubbish. They clearly didn't do any pre-sale inspection either. That screen went faulty by the time I got to the end of their road, I turned right around. Those tyres were repeatedly missed, and I suspect the twisted flexi/ The level of service with just about everything else has been quite poor imho.

I suspect the booked in cars also sometimes get, erm... taken out for more than road-tests. When I had my initial problem looked into (the faulty screen) the dealership had it over 2 nights. I ran late on that last night so couldn't pick it up. Like I said I take video evidence of before and afters, so from the vids (removed number plates, for now).

Before I took it in:
Porsche Taycan Taycan Turbo - the most problematic car I've ever owned - by far! BEFORE-REAR - EDITED

After I picked it up:
Porsche Taycan Taycan Turbo - the most problematic car I've ever owned - by far! AFTER-READ-EDITED

Before I took it in:
Porsche Taycan Taycan Turbo - the most problematic car I've ever owned - by far! BEFORE-WHEEL AND WHEELARCH

After I picked it up:
Porsche Taycan Taycan Turbo - the most problematic car I've ever owned - by far! AFTER-WHEELARCH2

The only wet night was the night I was due to pick it up, but couldn't, so left it with them. I tried to track the car too - that had been disabled and took days to work again. On pick up I queried why it was so dirty and got back that it had just spent the night in the tarmac car park. When I submitted a complaint to the service team (had to chase it) and got "Unfortunately I can not comment on why your vehicle was so dirty all I know is that we have had a lot of dirty rain recently – I know this as I have a black Macan and I am finding it difficult to keep it clean". That's pretty sandy, grassy rain! 🤔

Generally, issues aside I do love the car, the look, the feel, the drive, so it's kind of heart breaking. Just wish the dealer was better and that this car wasn't a complete lemon!

Thanks for your response and love the pic btw - beautiful! :)

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, good on ya keeping the sanguine attitude, you'll live longer, but... I'd be hard-pressed to keep my cool. They basically are bullshitting about someone having taken it for a joy-ride or something... and in general they clearly aren't super interested in making sure you're a satisfied customer. Lame. I'd complain to P HQ. Good luck OP!

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
The key going flat is going flat all on it's own. Throughout the year I've swapped them about - primary or spare locked in a safe place. The issue always follows just the one key with it draining in either scenario, with the other working perfectly and as expected.
Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck, hope all is resolved soon :(

With regard to your spare key battery going flat, why not just take the battery (CR2023) and store it? It sounds like it's trying to communicate with the car constantly, which in turn causes it to go flat. Alternatively (if you aren't already), store it in a faraday pouch, which should also stop it trying to communicate and save the battery.

mco

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Sigh, reading this type of stuff sucks, especially because my turbo has been in the shop (2nd time being there) for a seatbelt issue (passenger seatbelt light goes off saying there is no passenger, when I do have a passenger and the belt is buckled). It's actually been in the shop longer than I've had the vehicle at home (29 days in the shop, 41 days of ownership). Giving them another week before I begin exploring the legal approach. Good luck!

Last edited:

OP
OP
Pook

Pook

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck, hope all is resolved soon :(

With regard to your spare key battery going flat, why not just take the battery (CR2023) and store it? It sounds like it's trying to communicate with the car constantly, which in turn causes it to go flat. Alternatively (if you aren't already), store it in a faraday pouch, which should also stop it trying to communicate and save the battery.
Hi, thanks for the reply and advice and yes that would be a good workaround. Fortunately the Taycan isn't toooooo bad in this regard - I believe the Mazda CX30 (my nephew has one) is notoriously bad in that way (and it drains the car battery - even worse 😲).
In this case it was a faulty key though, it would have run flat even if it was in the next town from the car 😆. It took about 5 visits (including the one where they forgot to order the key) to resolve but got there in the end as the new one works perfectly now.

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
We all suffered the software glitches which were largely resolved with uPdate in 2022.

The heater issue (and attempts to address) where probably all the same issue unfortunately and only now on MY23 onwards a proper fix is in place (my MY23 - Mar'23 - GTS ST delivered was delayed due to a faulty heater picked up during PDI).

Battery life - generally an issue when the key is kept in proximity of the car (if key flashes then you are generally too close) but if this ain't the reason then could be a faulty key.

Buzzing - not had on my MY21 4S which I had for 2 years - so can't guess at that one.

10kW charging - sounds highly likely that you don't have the optional onboard 22kW AC onboard charger which is a pre-requisite to get up to 22kW. 10kW suggests you are maxing out your standard 11kW onboard AC charger. If you are using a 3 phase electrical supply (you must be to get 10kW) then you will max out at < 11kW but if you have the 22kW AC onboard then you should expect up to 22kW from the same 3 phase supply. You should have 3 x 100 Amp fuses on your main fuse board for your domestic supply. The wall box is not a charger remember - it is the EVSE - the charger is always in the car and not the other way around.

Same explanation when charging at public 22kW AC EVSEs - the max you will get is < 11kW if you don't have the upgraded 22kW AC onboard charger in the car.

If you got the standard Porsche Mobile Charger+ (PMC+) then this will only be good for 7.4kW (single phase or 3 phase). If you upgraded to the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) then this will handle up to 22kW on 3 phase (7.4kW on single phase) BUT in order to take advantage of this you must have the 22kW AC onboard charger option in the car. The later is an expensive (and questionable) upgrade IMHO.
so the onboard AC upgrade is not worth it? i am starting to regret not getting it. But yeah, that's $2K CAD. mmm.... mmmm.... Oh well. hope that it is not too slow when i charge mine next week.

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
Quite a few months have passed so thought I'd post an update. I've been in contact with the "Principle" at the dealership to talk over the problems and explore options. I was given a buy-back option but the amount wasn't great, and I feel didn't factor in all the grief since day 1. I was going to bite the bullet and then this chap suddenly left, including his second in command, at least on this topic. So I've escalated this to Porsche GB as the troubles have just continued. So in addition to the original list (and updates), in nice purple bold.

• 4 Recall notices
  • Brakes squealing excessively. This isn't the whine a lot of people get (I get that too), or the odd squeak when braking (normal too), but a loud squeal-stop-squeal-stop-squeal-stop as the wheel turns while driving (not braking) at anything up to about 30 MPH
  • Noted during recent service (at a different Porsche dealership) that 3 tyres are NF0, 1 is NA0. They have said that Taycans should be NF0, and 911's should be NA0 rated. Reviewed camera footage (I always video as have had damage done by the Porsche Centre before) and they have always been that way. Also note local dealer has always had them as NF0 on inspection reports (so those reports aren't very thorough!). That's going to be another fight!
Did you buy new? Well, at least you got a buy back offer. If it is me, i would go weasel a good 911 deal. I already wished that i got a 911 instead.

OP
OP
Pook

Pook

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
so the onboard AC upgrade is not worth it? i am starting to regret not getting it. But yeah, that's $2K CAD. mmm.... mmmm.... Oh well. hope that it is not too slow when i charge mine next week.
For me, probably not considering my mileage, but depends on circumstances. At work we have a 22KW charger, and it's billed by the minute, rather than by the KW, so I guess a faster port would make sense. But then to offset the upgrade cost? I'll personally pass. I'll just charge it off my home wall socket at 2KW AC with the odd DC blast at the local Porsche dealership if I need to rush to an airport 😆

OP
OP
Pook

Pook

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Did you buy new? Well, at least you got a buy back offer. If it is me, i would go weasel a good 911 deal. I already wished that i got a 911 instead.
Yes I bought new, and not under finance (so no protection there). I had a buy-back offer before the guy left! Anyway 911.... tempted! I test drove a 911 GTS over the weekend. Nowhere near as nippy but got the goosebumps from the engine roar! Just want to try the GT4 too as an alternative to the 911.

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sigh, reading this type of stuff sucks, especially because my turbo has been in the shop (2nd time being there) for a seatbelt issue (passenger seatbelt light goes off saying there is no passenger, when I do have a passenger and the belt is buckled). It's actually been in the shop longer than I've had the vehicle at home (29 days in the shop, 41 days of ownership). Giving them another week before I begin exploring the legal approach. Good luck!
Who's your dealer (or repair shop)?

mco

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Who's your dealer (or repair shop)?
I bought the vehicle used in VA (Porsche Chantilly) and had it shipped in here in Socal. Local dealership working on the car is Porsche Ontario.
Sponsored