Taycan Turbo - the most problematic car I've ever owned - by far!

Pook

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi all,

Is this in any way normal? Reading the forums I know these cars suffer a variety of issues from time to time, but mine seems a bit of a lemon. And, any advice on what to do?

In late August 2021 I purchased my car from a UK dealership (they wouldn't wait a week for the new plate!).

I picked up the car on that last weekend and within 3 minutes had my first problem. The passenger screen packed in (https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/passenger-screen-flickering-and-whiting-out.6457/) and there was a scratch. Required several visits to fix. Since then I've had non-stop issues:
  • Software issues, bluetooth issues, mostly fixed with updates
  • 4 Recall notices
  • Airconditioner stopped blowing
  • Buzzing noise (booked in 4 times! Still an issue). Eventually managed to find it's coming from mode selector and responding to vibrations coming through the steering wheel. Still ongoing...
  • Spare key went flat after 3 months, then 2 months later, then 3 months after that, and so on (booked in each time). Swapped with main key, and the problem sticks with that particular key. Still ongoing...
  • Heater fails (out of commission for 3 months!) required heater unit replacement, scratches to dash following
  • Airconditioning fails, requires 8 servos replaced
  • Airconditioning stopped blowing (today, 2 months after last fix). Ongoing...
I also suspect a new steering issue and as it makes a creaking sort of noise when full-lock steering at low speed (e.g. while parking), and possibly a charging issue (more diags needed though) as never seem to get above 10KW on 22KW (Type 2) chargers despite trying different chargers and cables (all 32A 22KW).

This was a brand new premium car. It's done 4400 miles. Is this acceptable? I've owned many other way cheaper new cars and never come close to this many problems (if any), and they don't seem to be done with either. This car spends a horrible amount of time at the dealership, not to mention the frustration and inconvenience.

Thanks!
Sponsored

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Wow, that is unfortunate. I think the first two bullets are to be expected and are consistent with most owners' experience. The rest is foreign to me.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Taycan was deliberately launched as a standalone model… in case it flopped, it could be canceled without affecting the brand image of the rest of the P-car lineup. It obviously went very well overall but for sure there are some infant mortality issues with a small percentage of earlier models. Looks like you have one. I would move on to another car if this impacts your joy of ownership even when the issues are resolved. Another Taycan is very unlikely to be as problematic.…

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
Sounds like a lemon. I've definitely had my issues, but nothing persistent. I take it there's no Lemon / buy back protection in UK?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi all,

Is this in any way normal? Reading the forums I know these cars suffer a variety of issues from time to time, but mine seems a bit of a lemon. And, any advice on what to do?

In late August 2021 I purchased my car from a UK dealership (they wouldn't wait a week for the new plate!).

I picked up the car on that last weekend and within 3 minutes had my first problem. The passenger screen packed in (https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/passenger-screen-flickering-and-whiting-out.6457/) and there was a scratch. Required several visits to fix. Since then I've had non-stop issues:
  • Software issues, bluetooth issues, mostly fixed with updates
  • 4 Recall notices
  • Airconditioner stopped blowing
  • Buzzing noise (booked in 4 times! Still an issue). Eventually managed to find it's coming from mode selector and responding to vibrations coming through the steering wheel. Still ongoing...
  • Spare key went flat after 3 months, then 2 months later, then 3 months after that, and so on (booked in each time). Swapped with main key, and the problem sticks with that particular key. Still ongoing...
  • Heater fails (out of commission for 3 months!) required heater unit replacement, scratches to dash following
  • Airconditioning fails, requires 8 servos replaced
  • Airconditioning stopped blowing (today, 2 months after last fix). Ongoing...
I also suspect a new steering issue and as it makes a creaking sort of noise when full-lock steering at low speed (e.g. while parking), and possibly a charging issue (more diags needed though) as never seem to get above 10KW on 22KW (Type 2) chargers despite trying different chargers and cables (all 32A 22KW).

This was a brand new premium car. It's done 4400 miles. Is this acceptable? I've owned many other way cheaper new cars and never come close to this many problems (if any), and they don't seem to be done with either. This car spends a horrible amount of time at the dealership, not to mention the frustration and inconvenience.

Thanks!
We all suffered the software glitches which were largely resolved with uPdate in 2022.

The heater issue (and attempts to address) where probably all the same issue unfortunately and only now on MY23 onwards a proper fix is in place (my MY23 - Mar'23 - GTS ST delivered was delayed due to a faulty heater picked up during PDI).

Battery life - generally an issue when the key is kept in proximity of the car (if key flashes then you are generally too close) but if this ain't the reason then could be a faulty key.

Buzzing - not had on my MY21 4S which I had for 2 years - so can't guess at that one.

10kW charging - sounds highly likely that you don't have the optional onboard 22kW AC onboard charger which is a pre-requisite to get up to 22kW. 10kW suggests you are maxing out your standard 11kW onboard AC charger. If you are using a 3 phase electrical supply (you must be to get 10kW) then you will max out at < 11kW but if you have the 22kW AC onboard then you should expect up to 22kW from the same 3 phase supply. You should have 3 x 100 Amp fuses on your main fuse board for your domestic supply. The wall box is not a charger remember - it is the EVSE - the charger is always in the car and not the other way around.

Same explanation when charging at public 22kW AC EVSEs - the max you will get is < 11kW if you don't have the upgraded 22kW AC onboard charger in the car.

If you got the standard Porsche Mobile Charger+ (PMC+) then this will only be good for 7.4kW (single phase or 3 phase). If you upgraded to the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) then this will handle up to 22kW on 3 phase (7.4kW on single phase) BUT in order to take advantage of this you must have the 22kW AC onboard charger option in the car. The later is an expensive (and questionable) upgrade IMHO.

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
If you have an issue that was there from when you bought the car and it hasn’t been resolved and the car is on finance you may be able to reject it and get all your payments back. You need to speak to your finance Co.

PCASSOO

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan
Country flag
God so sorry to hear that. Sounds like the Dealership has had your car more than you have?
There's got to be some way to get Porsche to do something for you?
Have you tried getting ahold of some Media platform to get some help? No Manufacturer wants Negative press.
Good Luck my friend.

OP
OP
Pook

Pook

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
We all suffered the software glitches which were largely resolved with uPdate in 2022.

The heater issue (and attempts to address) where probably all the same issue unfortunately and only now on MY23 onwards a proper fix is in place (my MY23 - Mar'23 - GTS ST delivered was delayed due to a faulty heater picked up during PDI).

Battery life - generally an issue when the key is kept in proximity of the car (if key flashes then you are generally too close) but if this ain't the reason then could be a faulty key.

Buzzing - not had on my MY21 4S which I had for 2 years - so can't guess at that one.

10kW charging - sounds highly likely that you don't have the optional onboard 22kW AC onboard charger which is a pre-requisite to get up to 22kW. 10kW suggests you are maxing out your standard 11kW onboard AC charger. If you are using a 3 phase electrical supply (you must be to get 10kW) then you will max out at < 11kW but if you have the 22kW AC onboard then you should expect up to 22kW from the same 3 phase supply. You should have 3 x 100 Amp fuses on your main fuse board for your domestic supply. The wall box is not a charger remember - it is the EVSE - the charger is always in the car and not the other way around.

Same explanation when charging at public 22kW AC EVSEs - the max you will get is < 11kW if you don't have the upgraded 22kW AC onboard charger in the car.

If you got the standard Porsche Mobile Charger+ (PMC+) then this will only be good for 7.4kW (single phase or 3 phase). If you upgraded to the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) then this will handle up to 22kW on 3 phase (7.4kW on single phase) BUT in order to take advantage of this you must have the 22kW AC onboard charger option in the car. The later is an expensive (and questionable) upgrade IMHO.
Hi,

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. Yes the heater problem this last December was one of the many around that time (and a reason for a long delay in getting the car sorted out), but I don't believe the ventilation issue the 10 months previous, or the recent one in January, or the one this last week are related It's heating now, and certainly making plenty of blowing noises when on full blast, but very little air coming out of the actual front vents, no matter the settings. I suspect some of the 8 servos replaced in January are still faulty. Will report back as they have the car in yet again this week to address the key, dash scratch.

Thanks for the info regarding the charging units too. Mine was a prebuilt showroom car and going over the specification again I see that's missing. I've got the 150W DC optional, but that's it.

The key going flat is going flat all on it's own. Throughout the year I've swapped them about - primary or spare locked in a safe place. The issue always follows just the one key with it draining in either scenario, with the other working perfectly and as expected.

OP
OP
Pook

Pook

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
God so sorry to hear that. Sounds like the Dealership has had your car more than you have?
There's got to be some way to get Porsche to do something for you?
Have you tried getting ahold of some Media platform to get some help? No Manufacturer wants Negative press.
Good Luck my friend.
Yes it's certainly been in there a considerable time. I've written numerous e-mails to the dealership principle but guess I've got to log this as a formal complaint regarding the history of this vehicle and the quality of the product with the dealership (as is the prescribed first step in any complaint), with a view to escalating it to Porsche GB. From prior discussions with the dealership my options seem to be to try and get an extended warranty out of Porsche (an obsolute necessity IMHO for a vehicle that's been back to the dealership for as many months as I've owned it, and is still going wrong), or for them to buy it back. I'm pretty sure I'll be onto a loser with the last option though, but we'll see what they come back with.

I've written to WhatCar, just to see if they are interested.

PCASSOO

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan
Country flag
It sounds like you have a True Lemon unfortunately.
I would bypass the Principle Owner because clearly he doesn't care.
I would go straight to Porsche Corporation with all your records.
The only way to get thus taken care of is going to the Top of Porsche America.
If not just start posting and spreading all the Service issues you have over and over repeatedly.
Make as much noise as you can until you get your wheel greased.
There hoping your just going to go away but you need to Amp up your Campaign.
Your 100% Correct for asking them to buy back their Lemon.
I Wish you Good Luck and Success in getting this bought back. He'll tell them that your willing to buy another one you just don't want their Lemon.
Double Down and make it happen Brotha...
PCASSOO (David)

Gary Gerrard

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo, and 2017 911 Turbo
Country flag
Have you thought about trading it into the same dealer for a different car (Taycan or otherwise) and asking for a better trade-in deal? Another if you don't ask you don't get strategy.

juergenhr

First Name
Juergen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S; 1971 914-6; 2013 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
We bought our 2021 4S used from a dealer in Austin, TX and drove home to Virginia. When I reviewed the service history (which I had asked for and they provided) I noticed it had numerous control units replaced. A 13k miles it had over $50k in warranty work. Hopefully this is all sorted now although I do have a couple of minor issues. The car is CPO and we extended the CPO for and additional year so we should be covered for another 5 years.

OP
OP
Pook

Pook

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Have you thought about trading it into the same dealer for a different car (Taycan or otherwise) and asking for a better trade-in deal? Another if you don't ask you don't get strategy.
Its definitely getting to there. I've been in a few meetings with the dealership principle, but he's now (suddenly) left so I'm back to square on - raised with Porsche GB
Sponsored