First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just thought I'd throw in 2 cents to confuse things further:
Before you blame the charger you should check for these.

By dirty AC you are likely referring to fluctuating voltage on the mains. This can be caused by either a problem at the house, your responsibility or from the power company their responsibility. You might have an electrician check this or check with BC Hydro.

Because you are blowing the main fuses, when the charger is running it sounds like too much current draw. Check the size of the main breaker for the house. 100 amps will likely blow, 200 amps shouldn't but might depending on how much stuff you have running at the same time, 400 amps never.

To check how much current you are pulling add up all the big stuff such as the EV, air conditioners, pool pumps etc. and see what that comes to. Or as an experiment turn some of them off and charge the car at the max and see if anything blows.
Sponsored

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Before you blame the charger you should check for these.

By dirty AC you are likely referring to fluctuating voltage on the mains. This can be caused by either a problem at the house, your responsibility or from the power company their responsibility. You might have an electrician check this or check with BC Hydro.

Because you are blowing the main fuses, when the charger is running it sounds like too much current draw. Check the size of the main breaker for the house. 100 amps will likely blow, 200 amps shouldn't but might depending on how much stuff you have running at the same time, 400 amps never.

To check how much current you are pulling add up all the big stuff such as the EV, air conditioners, pool pumps etc. and see what that comes to. Or as an experiment turn some of them off and charge the car at the max and see if anything blows.
Thanks for the input. Yeah I'm aware of the 100AMP master breaker + adding up all your daily continuous draw, etc. I have AC and electrical HW heating, so that plus laundry and you're north of 50AMPS already.

Unfortunately I like in a townhouse with 12 other attached units and we all share the same transformer -- and each townhouse is limited to 100AMP and we were told we cannot change this. Bummer.

I'm thinking of putting solar panels on my upper patio, cuz damn that would be sweet. :)