AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
@chylld Well, this is nothing Porsche specific. They implemented an industry standard that a lot of other manufacturers will also implement in the future. Especially with bi-directional charging that standard is the way to go.

The problem is not that you should know all these details, but that there is a bug in the OBC that should be fixed. Maybe the WNJ8 update will improve this. The other solution would have been to tell the car to be at the target 15-30 minutes before you need it.

Update: Just want to make clear this clear. I explained how it works to help understand why the problems appeared and why even though changing to a different charger „fixed“ the issue, the original charger isn‘t the one causing the issue. Removing the HEMS would have had the same effect or disallowing using a PLC connection from the charger to the EV. But it is clear that his is quite complex for normal users and it seems to be clear what to blame. But often reality isn‘t as easy as it looks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
It's not a looker, that's for sure! :giggle: However it is quite flat against the wall, unlike the PWCC which sticks out far further than it has any reason to.
I actually like the way the PWCC looks and I haven't had any issues charging, setting times, etc. Of course I live in the US and my electric company doesn't have time-of-day tariffs (this varies by sate and often within each state in the US), the charge is the same regardless of the time. Since I have Solar, but no battery, I actually prefer to charge it up during the day whenever possible

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The EV has no information about any energy tariffs and will decide upon the charging plan all on its own
For completeness, the charging plan the car comes up with is based on the departure timer and preferred charging settings. So do you need the HEM? Not for most people.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
You don’t need it. But if you have time based tariffs or solar energy, the Hems will provide support for that which you won’t have otherwise with the PMCC or PWCC

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You don’t need it. But if you have time based tariffs or solar energy, the Hems will provide support for that which you won’t have otherwise with the PMCC or PWCC
If you have a simple time based tariff, such as the lowest rates are between the hours 7pm and 7am you don't need the HEM. The preferred charging times and departure timer settings will handle that.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, since I don't have time based tariffs on my electricity, do the times change regularly? I mean if they don't change then it would seem you just need to set the preferred charging times in your charging profile.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
This is not about times that change, but a more complex tariff system than just 1 cheaper timeframe.

I did not mean to say everyone with time based tariffs needs a HEMS. Also note that the Porsche HEMS is not being sold in North America.

Just one more thought: if the car features would be identical to the HEMS, why would Porsche spend the money to develop a HEMS?
I don‘t have time based tariffs, but I have my own solar energy which I want to charge my EVs with. To do that with the PMCC I do have such a HEMS.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Porsche Canada website shows the Home Energy Manager is available in Canada for $869 Cdn. I don't know whether this is an error or not as it doesn't show on the US website.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
@JimBob thanks for the hint. Looks like it is not available in the US only then.

OP
OP
chylld

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
@chylld It seems this got worse and your workaround with a different charger is now also affected. See #304 Could you verify this once you got the update? Or do you want to wait now ...

OP
OP
chylld

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
My car is not in a satisfactory condition at the moment, so I have nothing to lose by doing the update.

I have a new Tesla arriving in a few weeks, I will likely move my family straight into that when it arrives.

Setting up scheduled charging on that car is hilariously simple: since my off-peak starts at midnight, I go to the charge/battery screen, and set the "start charging at" time to midnight. That's it. Nothing else.

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Just thought I'd throw in 2 cents to confuse things further:

1. Vehicle: 2021 Taycan 4S, with larger battery pack. Always at 85% SOC, as manual suggests.
2. Bought the wall-mounted (stylish) Porsche-branded charger + cable ($1100 CDN I think, all in), was very tricky to configure.
3. My Porsche charger is extremely sensitive to "dirty" AC or fluctuations & ground fault errors from street wiring to my home, so flow is restricted to 27A max. Always. Otherwise every main breaker in my home blows out. Pain in the a**, as you can imagine.
4. No problem charging my 4S now for 14 months, but it's slow, esp. at 27A max. Still, it works fine. But takes 5 hours, after 50% to 85% SOC.

Here's the kicker:

5. Porsche charger with my new MY2022 Tesla Model 3 LR is FASTER and MORE EFFICIENT. Boggles my mind. Full 88% charge in under 2 hours. What? Same current.

I use a Tesla-tap device as the adapter.

The Tesla Model 3 charges faster and better. Using the PORSCHE charger! (No, didn't buy the Tesla one, or any other L2 box, didn't need to.)

This leads me to believe it's a software problem on Porsche's end -- which I hope they address in upcoming patches. I hope. :-/

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
@FrozenRobert The Tesla does not charge faster, it has a smaller battery. The Taycan has a battery capacity of about 93kWh, usable about 84kWh. The Tesla Model 3 LR has a battery capacity of about 82kWh (75kWh before Nov 2020), usable about 75kWh.

So the battery is smaller, that‘s why its full earlier when charging with the same current.
Sponsored