The definitive discussion: adaptive air suspension worth it or not?

TaycanBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Hi guys i have searched this forum and others regarding this subject. I have posted this thread in the UK section as our road are notoriously bad and probably the worst in first world europe. For those that have compared the base and adaptive air suspension what are your thoughts?. Did you notice a significant difference between the two on our battered pot hole riddled roads?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
it's worth it - it's one of the main advantages of higher end vehicles - if you want a smooth adjustable ride air suspension all day long.

Ronglos

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Chevy Bolt, 2022 Taycan
Country flag
I would be driving a 4S if I could have skipped that option.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hi guys i have searched this forum and others regarding this subject. I have posted this thread in the UK section as our road are notoriously bad and probably the worst in first world europe. For those that have compared the base and adaptive air suspension what are your thoughts?. Did you notice a significant difference between the two on our battered pot hole riddled roads?

Thanks in advance
UK owner here.

I wasnt going to spec it till I came on this forum. But really glad I did now.
I find the smart lift feature is used a lot on UK roads. Sleeping policeman / car park ramps / steep inclines. It is a very low car.

And it makes bumpy, pitted UK roads as smooth as butter. It's remarkeabke how smooth it is.

That said I haven't driven a Taycan without it.
Hopefully you will get some feedback from UK members who have driven both.

HypeR

First Name
emre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s performance plus
Country flag
I definitely recommend it, it's a good option

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I've always had air suspension on my Porsches were it has been an option to do so.

Practical advantages - Smart Lift - go without saying.

However I'll be controversial here and say that it does not necessarily offer a smoother ride in all scenarios. Badly rutted roads on larger alloys can be felt (and heard).

Standard on most models now which may restrict your purchase decision. I would always tick the box for the practical advantages offered (great in snow) and accept that it will never provide a magic carpet ride.

Test drive to compare.

Computerglitch

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG 43 , 997
Country flag
Drive both if you can. I did and thought the springs were excellent over speed bumps etc. However it is personal choice. The best config probably includes 30k of extras, you personally draw the line. I see some people say it’s their first option……..it was way down on my list and I live in east London where the roads are awful. It’s high enough to avoid the problems that lower cars have and handles really well. Good luck with your choice…….I’m 5 weeks in and have to say I’m loving the daily drive

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
While I can’t comment on the improvement in the ride (I’ve never driven a Taycan without air suspension), smart lift is important to avoid bottoming out the car in many parking lots. I personally need it just to get up my driveway (my house is on a hill).

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 MK 2 MR2 GT T-Bar, 2002 Volvo S80
Country flag
Just as a side note, I know some manufacturers have reliability issues with air suspension (Land Rover, Lexus, Mercedes etc), do Porsche have a record of such issues?

sorry to deviate away from the main theme of this discussion.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just as a side note, I know some manufacturers have reliability issues with air suspension (Land Rover, Lexus, Mercedes etc), do Porsche have a record of such issues?

sorry to deviate away from the main theme of this discussion.
I had a height sensor failure on an early Cayenne S but nothing since (touch wood) in the last 14 years.

Warranty is your friend ;-)

Discohead

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ipace, Macan GTS, TVR Chimaera 500
Country flag
I think it is well worth it on the rubbish roads we have here in the South Downs. However, I haven't driven a Taycan without it.

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 MK 2 MR2 GT T-Bar, 2002 Volvo S80
Country flag
I had a height sensor failure on an early Cayenne S but nothing since (touch wood) in the last 14 years.

Warranty is your friend ;-)
Thanks 👍

I‘m thinking ahead to year 4 of the lease. I know that 1k a corner is typical with air suspension💀
Sponsored