The first year with my Taycan 4S

Benjamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Twingo
Country flag
Today I've been driving my Taycan 4S for exactly one year. I drive it as a daily driver, as they say. The routes to work, weekend trips with five people. Business trips of about 500 km a day. My usage behavior has not changed, even though 2020 was certainly not a normal year also in terms of my driving behavior. I come from the 991.1 C4S and 991.2 C2S respectively (both of which I also drove as a daily driver) and have accordingly met my configuration as I need it with my Taycan. You can find my config here somewhere in the forum.
I mostly charged at home or at work. 11 kw is quite enough here. And on the road I look exclusively for 100 kw chargers or larger.

I have now driven 452 h and 16386 km in this first year; with a consumption of 16.9 kWh/100 km ... at an average speed of 36 km/h. You can already tell: I drive a lot in the city. But the vehicle was also used regularly and for longer periods on the highway.

What has changed for me over time in the last year: While at the beginning I still planned longer trips (charging stops), this has tilted at some point after 6 months and I sometimes spontaneously sit in the car and drive 500 km without having planned it beforehand. That this is possible is of course not due to the car and unfortunately not the software in the car, but to my head. I can now quite well (I say not always) trust that the car or the helping app on the smartphone will find a suitable semi-smart charging option. That works out pretty well most of the time.

Of course, this brings me to one of the few negative points concerning the vehicle, which no one here on the forum is surprised about anymore: It's still the software. In the car and around the car (apps). The last update is still denied me; and the first major update has certainly already made some things better; also the numerous updates of the apps on iOS and Android. Still, simply the route guidance is not yet smart enough; and in 15% of the cases, the spontaneous control of the app's air conditioning does not work. And yes, the car is always in the same place during this and also has signal. And the PCM has many small errors, but I must admit that they do not bother me in everyday life. But I collect them. All of them. Either way, the software is getting better, there is hope. When I see all the things that have been improved in the last year, I actually have hope that it will get good eventually.

As written, I don't come from the Panamera or Cayenne (even if I know the latter very well) and I like especially on the 11 the "rumble" typical for me Porsche. The sound (ok, that doesn't matter anymore), the direct chassis maybe also the somewhat tightness in the car itself. I was able to recreate parts of this perception with the 21 inch wheels on the Taycan. It's always amazing how one inch and the wider tires trigger a change in the perception of handling. So that may have been one of the fewer mistakes in my configuration. But the 20 inch wheels at the time were not thoughtless. The concerns about range. But that has been resolved for me. I would not have believed me a good year ago but also.

And what would I wish for now: The Taycan is a wonderful car, it's long range and even family friendly. But it is 10% to even 15% too big for me. In fact. I know, all EVs tend to be incredibly large and in everyday life it doesn't bother me much. In fact, it tends to get more use out of it. But if it turned out a bit more compact, then it would be even closer to the 911 in my perception, and thus closer to the Porsche DNA for me. But we probably won't see that anytime soon.

The crucial question: Do I miss my 911 and would I trade in the Taycan? No. The 911 is a wonderful dream car, but I wouldn't want to miss the driving performance and charm of the new one. The Taycan is simply in a different league.

If there are any questions, please ask.

Porsche Taycan The first year with my Taycan 4S 1

Porsche Taycan The first year with my Taycan 4S 2

Porsche Taycan The first year with my Taycan 4S 3

Porsche Taycan The first year with my Taycan 4S 4

Porsche Taycan The first year with my Taycan 4S 5

Porsche Taycan The first year with my Taycan 4S 6

Porsche Taycan The first year with my Taycan 4S 7

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Terrific summary of the year in your Taycan. I can’t wait to cross that threshold myself (if my damn car ever gets delivered)!

phil-c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Lotus elise s2 111s
Country flag
this is a weird tesla charger it works!
:movember:

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Cool report, thanks!

Where did you buy the 21" rims–look fantastic. What did you pay? (Want them, too!)

Olli-X

First Name
Oli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Today I've been driving my Taycan 4S for exactly one year. I drive it as a daily driver, as they say. The routes to work, weekend trips with five people. Business trips of about 500 km a day. My usage behavior has not changed, even though 2020 was certainly not a normal year also in terms of my driving behavior. I come from the 991.1 C4S and 991.2 C2S respectively (both of which I also drove as a daily driver) and have accordingly met my configuration as I need it with my Taycan. You can find my config here somewhere in the forum.
I mostly charged at home or at work. 11 kw is quite enough here. And on the road I look exclusively for 100 kw chargers or larger.

I have now driven 452 h and 16386 km in this first year; with a consumption of 16.9 kWh/100 km ... at an average speed of 36 km/h. You can already tell: I drive a lot in the city. But the vehicle was also used regularly and for longer periods on the highway.

What has changed for me over time in the last year: While at the beginning I still planned longer trips (charging stops), this has tilted at some point after 6 months and I sometimes spontaneously sit in the car and drive 500 km without having planned it beforehand. That this is possible is of course not due to the car and unfortunately not the software in the car, but to my head. I can now quite well (I say not always) trust that the car or the helping app on the smartphone will find a suitable semi-smart charging option. That works out pretty well most of the time.

Of course, this brings me to one of the few negative points concerning the vehicle, which no one here on the forum is surprised about anymore: It's still the software. In the car and around the car (apps). The last update is still denied me; and the first major update has certainly already made some things better; also the numerous updates of the apps on iOS and Android. Still, simply the route guidance is not yet smart enough; and in 15% of the cases, the spontaneous control of the app's air conditioning does not work. And yes, the car is always in the same place during this and also has signal. And the PCM has many small errors, but I must admit that they do not bother me in everyday life. But I collect them. All of them. Either way, the software is getting better, there is hope. When I see all the things that have been improved in the last year, I actually have hope that it will get good eventually.

As written, I don't come from the Panamera or Cayenne (even if I know the latter very well) and I like especially on the 11 the "rumble" typical for me Porsche. The sound (ok, that doesn't matter anymore), the direct chassis maybe also the somewhat tightness in the car itself. I was able to recreate parts of this perception with the 21 inch wheels on the Taycan. It's always amazing how one inch and the wider tires trigger a change in the perception of handling. So that may have been one of the fewer mistakes in my configuration. But the 20 inch wheels at the time were not thoughtless. The concerns about range. But that has been resolved for me. I would not have believed me a good year ago but also.

And what would I wish for now: The Taycan is a wonderful car, it's long range and even family friendly. But it is 10% to even 15% too big for me. In fact. I know, all EVs tend to be incredibly large and in everyday life it doesn't bother me much. In fact, it tends to get more use out of it. But if it turned out a bit more compact, then it would be even closer to the 911 in my perception, and thus closer to the Porsche DNA for me. But we probably won't see that anytime soon.

The crucial question: Do I miss my 911 and would I trade in the Taycan? No. The 911 is a wonderful dream car, but I wouldn't want to miss the driving performance and charm of the new one. The Taycan is simply in a different league.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg
Nice report, very low energy consumption. I can confirm some software issues, including sometimes the lost of the iPhone bluetooth link after 2 hours driving and repeated lost of configured climate eco plus in range mode. Two times the car did not work at all after moving 10 meters. That was annoying because I was blocking a parking entrance. Today the car is at the dealer for the 3rd time since Feb. 2020 for software updates (WMA5). I am looking forward that this process will converge. It always takes extra time for me to organise these dealer visits .

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I have now driven 452 h and 16386 km in this first year; with a consumption of 16.9 kWh/100 km ... at an average speed of 36 km/h.
Very low average consumption, considering Autobahn usage. What is your driving habit on the Autobahn?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I have always suspected that if they were successful enough with the Taycan they would introduce a small sports car. All they need to do is eliminate the foot garages now and they would have a vehicle about the same length as a 911. There would be no back seats, but the vehicle would be incredible: lighter, quicker, shorter wheelbase, and (because the battery capacity would be the same) longer range. Just watch...

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I have always suspected that if they were successful enough with the Taycan they would introduce a small sports car. All they need to do is eliminate the foot garages now and they would have a vehicle about the same length as a 911. There would be no back seats, but the vehicle would be incredible: lighter, quicker, shorter wheelbase, and (because the battery capacity would be the same) longer range. Just watch...
sign me up

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - 2020
Country flag

Interesting that you mention it's too big, maybe different use cases but I'm worried it's a little too small(compared to room of S) - one reason I'm waiting on Cross Turismo. Seems like maybe Taycan didn't really devote much of it's extra room to storage but probably things like making something aesthetic and sound deadening.
Sponsored