Thieves scoping Taycan

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Any other tests done. I will try and remember to test again this evening, but would be good to know if my almost intstant is correct, or an error in my test.
Sorry, not yet. Been on holiday for 2 weeks and now trying to catch up at work
Sponsored

DJ-UK

First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ex-iPace, Taycan RWD '23 lots of extra's.
Country flag
Sorry, not yet. Been on holiday for 2 weeks and now trying to catch up at work
Not just your good self, thought others might have a go. I did try this evening, I clearly have a floor in my test, probably to do with the normal key range. Locked from position outside garage, and then tried to open using handle leaving key in same position as locking; didn’t work so promising. Then got wife to hold key in same position as locked and gentle shake, but still nothing when I tried to open using handle.

Jiggins

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Green Mini Cooper SE, Jet Black GTS ST
Country flag
I Just ran a test.

Unlocked the car, then locked it again. Started a timer. The light around the Porsche logo flashed constantly for exactly 2 mins and then stopped. So I tried the door handle. To my surprise it opened.

So I repeated the test and left it 3 mins. Interestingly the light on the fob kept flashing for around 2 and a half minutes this time. At around the 3 min mark I heard something click in the car (it was making various low level clicking noises for the first minute or so while I was stood next to it). At 3 mins I tried the door handles and it didn't open. I lightly moved the key and it sprung to life again and the car opened.

So pretty conclusive that the key has a motion sensor. Timing wise I am going to go for 3 mins for it to time out. I do wonder if it times out quicker when not in range of the car at all. I.e. the red logo light doesn't normally flash continuously so maybe it goes to sleep a bit quicker. Hard to test that scenario though.

I did the same test on my Mini Cooper SE. That key was disabled after about 2 mins.

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I Just ran a test.

Unlocked the car, then locked it again. Started a timer. The light around the Porsche logo flashed constantly for exactly 2 mins and then stopped. So I tried the door handle. To my surprise it opened.

So I repeated the test and left it 3 mins. Interestingly the light on the fob kept flashing for around 2 and a half minutes this time. At around the 3 min mark I heard something click in the car (it was making various low level clicking noises for the first minute or so while I was stood next to it). At 3 mins I tried the door handles and it didn't open. I lightly moved the key and it sprung to life again and the car opened.

So pretty conclusive that the key has a motion sensor. Timing wise I am going to go for 3 mins for it to time out. I do wonder if it times out quicker when not in range of the car at all. I.e. the red logo light doesn't normally flash continuously so maybe it goes to sleep a bit quicker. Hard to test that scenario though.

I did the same test on my Mini Cooper SE. That key was disabled after about 2 mins.
Thanks for the test.

As I had observed earlier, it would have been very surprising if Porsche had not implemented this… this solution has been known since many years, and most manufacturers had implemented some form of protection.
In addition, the encryption key (used to encrypt/ decrypt the wireless signal between key/ car) is also changed frequently to prevent anyone snooping packets and recreating the signal.

DJ-UK

First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ex-iPace, Taycan RWD '23 lots of extra's.
Country flag
I Just ran a test.

NIce one, I will try again. How close did you leave the key to the car?