Tire Pressure for RWD Taycan on 20" Turbo Wheels?

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan & Taycan & Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
Hey Guys,

I need to check something with you as I'm super confused.

My RWD Taycan has 20" Turbo Wheels and arrived from the factory with 38psi pumped to all 4 tires. Last week I took my car to the dealership for a routine check and they deflated the tires to 32-30 psi during the check. When I drove the car I immediately felt the difference, the steering was heavy, and the tires looked like they were kind of flat. I called the dealership about this and they said that they've corrected the pressure according to the standards. I checked the tire pressure sticker under the driver's door and Porsche really recommends 32-30 psi:

Porsche Taycan Tire Pressure for RWD Taycan on 20" Turbo Wheels? Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 17.41.55

Is this really normal? 32-30 PSI for such a heavy performance car both sounds and feels wrong. What pressure you guys are keeping your Taycans at?

Let me know!
Sponsored

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
I always run my tires at full load pressure, on the Taycan 20" it is 33PSI front and 38PSI rear. (These pressures apply to cold values).

If setting when hot, add 3-4 degrees to the temp. (36-37 front and 39-40 rear)

For example on my 992 Carrera the OEM pressures for the 20" front is 35PSI and the 21" rear is 45PSI.

I sent them at 38PSI hot in front and 48PSI hot in rear.

Cold for me might be a little different for someone else than me since I live in HI and it rarely gets below 70*

The Porsche "Good to Know" app (online manual) has all of the details on how to set the air pressure correctly.

OP
OP
Mazithra

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan & Taycan & Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
I always run my tires at full load pressure, on the Taycan 20" it is 33PSI front and 38PSI rear. (These pressures apply to cold values).

For example on my 992 Carrera the OEM pressures for the 20" front is 35PSI and the 21" rear is 45PSI.

Cold for me might be a little different for someone else than me since I live in HI and it rarely gets below 70*

The Porsche "Good to Know" app (online manual) has all of the details on how to set the air pressure correctly.
Thank you! This was pretty useful

LXSC

First Name
GTS Tycoon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S - BMW I8, Soon Cherry Tycan GTS
Country flag
I thought the PCM was simply telling the tire pressure of the. And that is not a recommendation.
I have the mission E on my Taycan GTS have all four beers at 41 psi
This sticker shows 41 psi the front and 45 at the back.

Porsche Taycan Tire Pressure for RWD Taycan on 20" Turbo Wheels? BF2B6EBC-0073-4F80-AEE8-2238872010E4_1_102_o

SilverSpecter

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
During the check-ups, dealerships usually change the tire pressure and for your Taycan they followed what Porsche suggests. Even if 32-30 psi seems not right, it is actually okay according to their advice. Some owners of the Taycan like to put a little more air in their tires, maybe 35-36 psi, because it gives them a harder ride. Other people want less pressure for comfort when driving. You can try different pressures between these numbers and if you don't find what is good for you, talking with the car dealer could be useful. Cheers!

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
No one really knows what is the recommended tire pressure on Taycans; I believe Porsche have multiple random generators, which they use to issue the recommended tire pressure in different media/channels.

For instance, for the same model and wheel size (using my case of 4CT with 20"):
- the technical bulletin (After Sales/Manufacturer's Certificate, published Jul 23 2021, a pdf whose link I can't find) says: 37 F, 37 R, or maybe 37 F, 39 R
- the placard on the door jamb says 38 F, 40 R
- there other 8 (only!) threads on tire pressure here yield different values, as well

FWIW, the pdf says for the Taycan RWD w/ 20":
- summer/UHP, F/R: 31/30 part load, 33/37 full load
- all season: 33/31 part load, 36/39 full load
- winter: 35/35 part load, 39/42 full load

I'm glad to have helped create clarity.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am not an expert, but I would think that the tire manufacturer’s recommended pressure, as stated on the sidewall, is better guidance (has vastly more testing and analysis behind it) than what the auto manufacturer provides. Also, I believe Porsche only gives tire pressure guidance for tires that are optionable through Porsche, leaving the tire manufacturer as the only source of guidance for all other tires. Someone please tell me if I’m wrong.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Out of interest OP what is the pressure reading on the car gauge / app showing now?

I have got RWD with Turbo Aero wheels and this is my current reading (Michelin PS4).

Porsche Taycan Tire Pressure for RWD Taycan on 20" Turbo Wheels? Screenshot_20240411_170914_My Porsche

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
37 psi front 40 psi rear on cold tyres. Mine is 20" aero wheels.

Last edited:

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Door jamb values on my 22 RWD are vastly different than the recommended values in the owners manual.

I believe the door jamb are separate DOT mandated full load settings. Im of the opinion the recommended in the manual allow for much more comfortable ride and also more even tire wear with a partially loaded (single occupant, no luggage) car.

Seems to lead to a lot of confusion as I've had tire shops and even the dealer set them to the much higher door jamb settings (I think 36F/40R or something). I've been running the 33F/35R for 2 years. 21" wheel.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Don't forget that the door jamb numbers in the US will always be higher, because they're based on full load with passengers. We like to sue auto and tire manufacturers when we are too lazy to check and keep our tires at the proper inflation, so now they just tell us to inflate to the max recommended.

There is certainly confusion, as the physical manual may suggest one set of values while later TSBs changed the recommendations to something else entirely.

FWIW, I inflate the 20" summer tires on my 4S to 37F/34R and it works out great for me.

Attachments

cityhpper

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4. 20" summers, 20" winters.
Country flag
Note also the current "warning" in the TSB-document: "Adjust the tire pressure according to specifications. Never allow the pressure to fall below the minimum pressure."

This, together with how the car feels on the road, as well as taking into account our sometimes far from flat and even asphalt, has led me to add 0.1 bar to the stated pressures. Seems tyre wear is quite even, though slightly more inner wear on the rear tyres.

M3Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X2, Taycan 4S
Country flag

I do the same, at the full load pressure. There is an increase in range ~+10 miles.
Sponsored