To trade or not to trade - 2018 911 Turbo S

rcoday123

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hello all. Would love some help. I joined Taycan forum because I’m thinking of buying a Taycan turbo S. For the last three years, I’ve owned a 2018 911 Turbo S. Bought brand new. Whenever I drive it, I love it. I don’t track. Only put 6000 miles on it. I always get the nice car comments. I don’t take my car on trips or even out to dinner. I know myself. Wherever I was, I’d be worrying about if my car was safe. I’m planning on retiring in the next few years. Whatever car I have, will more than likely be my last. My thought on trading is due to hearing EV’s are the future and losing value on my car as it ages. Another rule I’ve always done is to never buy a first year new model. I could buy a 2021 but I found a great deal on a 2020. I’d really appreciate some feedback. Thank you !
Sponsored

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don't have an opinion on the 911 vs Taycan debate, but I think I know what answers you'll get here. When I saw the title of your thread, I thought you were looking for advice on whether to trade in or sell your 911 yourself. I do have an opinion on that. When you trade in, you get roughly the wholesale price on your trade in. When you sell it yourself you can get roughly retail - what your dealer will get for the car when they sell it. The difference is a lot of moolah. I've always sold my own cars. It's so easy. I don't get why people trade in. I usually have sold it to the first person to look at it. Easy peasy.

OP
OP

rcoday123

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't have an opinion on the 911 vs Taycan debate, but I think I know what answers you'll get here. When I saw the title of your thread, I thought you were looking for advice on whether to trade in or sell your 911 yourself. I do have an opinion on that. When you trade in, you get roughly the wholesale price on your trade in. When you sell it yourself you can get roughly retail - what your dealer will get for the car when they sell it. The difference is a lot of moolah. I've always sold my own cars. It's so easy. I don't get why people trade in. I usually have sold it to the first person to look at it. Easy peasy.
I appreciate the advice !

caytan

First Name
Zim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 4S
Country flag
The difference is a lot of moolah. I've always sold my own cars. It's so easy. I don't get why people trade in. I usually have sold it to the first person to look at it. Easy peasy.
It depends on the sales tax situation. For a trade-in, the trade-in value is deducted from purchase price and you pay sales tax on difference only. Without trade-in you pay sales tax on whole purchase price.

Say you are buying car for $100k and sales tax is 10%, without trade-in your sales tax would be $10k. If you have $60k trade in, your sales tax will be on $40k which means you pay only $4k. That's $6k difference which means you need to sell your trade-in for at least $6k more to private party to come out ahead. Its actually more than that due to hassle factor.

Last edited:

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just tried something which may have a bearing on what you are discussing. Someone else may have a different experience.

Without going into great details. Your 2020 drops $20,000 out the door if you try to take it back to the dealer on a trade so push them on the price for the 2020. Porsche gives the dealer discounts on 2020's to clear them out and you could try to get some of the options for free. They have to prep it, market it and make a profit on the trade. I don't think you will get any deals on a 2021. Perhaps you can shave this by selling it yourself, but you may not want to deal with the hassle. I don't think there is yet a really good handle on a secondary market at this time.

You might find it useful if you knew what all the differences are between the 2020 and 2021 models.
Someone here could opine.

You may have a 911 Turbo version that is preferred and you may be able to get a really good price. And if you are just retiring, you will probably be buying a couple of more cars before you check out.

OP
OP

rcoday123

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just tried something which may have a bearing on what you are discussing. Someone else may have a different experience.

Without going into great details. Your 2020 drops $20,000 out the door if you try to take it back to the dealer on a trade so push them on the price for the 2020. Porsche gives the dealer discounts on 2020's to clear them out and you could try to get some of the options for free. They have to prep it, market it and make a profit on the trade. I don't think you will get any deals on a 2021. Perhaps you can shave this by selling it yourself, but you may not want to deal with the hassle. I don't think there is yet a really good handle on a secondary market at this time.

You might find it useful if you knew what all the differences are between the 2020 and 2021 models.
Someone here could opine.

You may have a 911 Turbo version that is preferred and you may be able to get a really good price. And if you are just retiring, you will probably be buying a couple of more cars before you check out.
Appreciate the feedback !

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Take it from me; you will regret trading in your Turbo S. I made the same mistake several years ago (at my wife’s insistence) and have regretted it every day since. I will sometimes see a 911 like mine and literally tear up in remorse and profound grief at the shortsighted stupidity of my decision. My advice is to keep the Turbo S and buy yourself a Taycan 4S. You don’t need the extra 0-60 speed of the Taycan Turbo or Turbo S, the Taycan 4S is already wicked fast and handles identically. And the $40-$80K difference in price will negate any trade-in value your 911 Turbo S might offer.

As for any depreciation your 911 might incur, don’t worry about that. It’s a classic that will only appreciate as time goes on. Think of the kids!!!!

Final thought, get the 2021 Taycan as there are substantial and important differences between the 2020 and 2021 model years, like the GPS aware suspension.

Last edited:

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
Take it from me; you will regret trading in your Turbo S. I made the same mistake several years ago (at my wife’s insistence) and have regretted it every day since. I will sometimes see a 911 like mine and literally tear up in remorse and profound grief at the shortsighted stupidity of my decision. My advice is to keep the Turbo S and buy yourself a Taycan 4S. You don’t need the extra 0-60 speed of the Taycan Turbo or Turbo S, the Taycan 4S is already wicked fast and handles identically. And the $40-$80K difference in price will negate any trade-in value your 911 Turbo S might offer.

As for any depreciation your 911 might incur, don’t worry about that. It’s a classic that will only appreciate as time goes on. Think of the kids!!!!

Final thought, get the 2021 Taycan as there are substantial and important differences between the 2020 and 2021 model years, like the GPS aware suspension.
By strange circumstances I have the same combination. A 2017 Turbo S with an Aero Kit. I've loved having it for 35,000 miles, but got a Taycan Turbo S in July...a 2020. I am retired as well and while I kept the 911, I now know that I don't really have the urge to drive it I after experiencing the Taycan. Not only are EV's the future, but your future is headed toward the Taycan style of automobile, and I think away from the extreme nature of your 911 that is at its best on the track.

As far as trading vs. selling why not get a quote from a dealer and then put an add in the paper or on the internet with a price for the 911 that is significantly higher than the trade in offer. If you don't easily get this added price, then trade your 911 for the Taycan. I wouldn't keep both. Once you start driving the Taycan Turbo S I think you'll find it to be the best Porsche ever, and I've had 10.

OP
OP

rcoday123

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Man, you nailed it. My son (30 yrs old) is dying of the idea of me getting rid of my car. I think what you’re saying makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much.......

OP
OP

rcoday123

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
By strange circumstances I have the same combination. A 2017 Turbo S with an Aero Kit. I've loved having it for 35,000 miles, but got a Taycan Turbo S in July...a 2020. I am retired as well and while I kept the 911, I now know that I don't really have the urge to drive it I after experiencing the Taycan. Not only are EV's the future, but your future is headed toward the Taycan style of automobile, and I think away from the extreme nature of your 911 that is at its best on the track.

As far as trading vs. selling why not get a quote from a dealer and then put an add in the paper or on the internet with a price for the 911 that is significantly higher than the trade in offer. If you don't easily get this added price, then trade your 911 for the Taycan. I wouldn't keep both. Once you start driving the Taycan Turbo S I think you'll find it to be the best Porsche ever, and I've had 10.
Thank you for your insight !

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
It depends on the sales tax situation. For a trade-in, the trade-in value is deducted from purchase price and you pay sales tax on difference only. Without trade-in you pay sales tax on whole purchase price.

Say you are buying car for $100k and sales tax is 10%, without trade-in your sales tax would be $10k. If you have $60k trade in, your sales tax will be on $40k which means you pay only $4k. That's $6k difference which means you need to sell your trade-in for at least $6k more to private party to come out ahead. Its actually more than that due to hassle factor.
This is only true in some states.
Sponsored