Trade-in values?

Loltheinternet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Range Rover L405, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Why is that "gross"? It's a car dealer; they buy and sell cars.

You're already coming in, they're asking if they can make you an offer to buy your car. That seems...super reasonable.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Same gross tactics non-premium dealerships use.
Maybe I’m missing something, but why is this aggressive or gross? I read it as a good thing: 1) they are letting you know that they WANT to buy used cars, which I view as useful information; and 2) they were proactive to notice that they could give you a free estimate when your car is coming in anyway, which I view as useful information and super convenient. I would say yes even if I didn’t want to sell just to get the information. It’s not binding, after all.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Maybe I’m missing something, but why is this aggressive or gross? I read it as a good thing: 1) they are letting you know that they WANT to buy used cars, which I view as useful information; and 2) they were proactive to notice that they could give you a free estimate when your car is coming in anyway, which I view as useful information and super convenient. I would say yes even if I didn’t want to sell just to get the information. It’s not binding, after all.
I guess you missed the line where he has already identified cars that I'd be interested in.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess you missed the line where he has already identified cars that I'd be interested in.
Again, it’s not binding so seems to me to be useful. Or you could just get the quote for your car and say no thanks to the new ones. Seems useful to me.

I was once offered a Carrera GT like that when a buyer backed out. Ultimately, I said no (I regret that), but I was very happy to be offered the chance.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just picked up my car from the software update. Talked to the Dealership manager, while waiting. Said on his Zoom call on Friday, New 4S in Cali are going for 30-40K over.
Yeah, that was total nonsense. New ones are slightly over sticker here and used ones are well below sticker.

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
Just picked up my car from the software update. Talked to the Dealership manager, while waiting. Said on his Zoom call on Friday, New 4S in Cali are going for 30-40K over. Told him if he can find a buyer that will pay that premium for a gently used one from Indiana, I'd happily go on the waitlist again.

Crickets. Think he was trying to stroke my ego.
Cali is head and shoulders above the rest of the country when it comes to EV Adoption. Weather (range) and wealth are two main factors I suppose. You can easily find a similarly spec'ed CPO Taycan from a different state, have it shipped to Cali, and still save a few grands, compared to buying from a local dealer. Some people are just rich I guess.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
That was little strange for me too, but overall, I haven’t seen that as a problematic behaviour.

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Again, it’s not binding so seems to me to be useful. Or you could just get the quote for your car and say no thanks to the new ones. Seems useful to me.

I was once offered a Carrera GT like that when a buyer backed out. Ultimately, I said no (I regret that), but I was very happy to be offered the chance.
I once had an opportunity buy a Carrera GT for $399,000. I didn't. I also very much regret that.

vegasmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I just checked with Driveway out of curiosity for my 22RWD $105K MSRP with 3k miles and I was offered $101k.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I once had an opportunity buy a Carrera GT for $399,000. I didn't. I also very much regret that.
Yup. Mine was for MSRP.

I have a theory that I don't want to own any type of possession that I would care about losing or damaging. With respect to cars, I don't want anything that I wouldn't drive like I stole it in the rain or even snow.

I would have been worried about damaging the Carrera GT, and yet I definitely would have wanted to drive it. I also thought that it probably wasn't the best pure "investment", so I concluded that I probably wanted to buy it for ego to say I owned one, which is exactly why I said no . . .

That doesn't mean that I don't occasionally feel a pang of regret for not submitting to my lesser angels.

Scooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I received this today, I think it is a bit aggressive on their part.

I noticed you were coming in for service this week and I wanted to reach out to you before you came in. As the Service Liaison for Porsche Jacksonville, I periodically review our client accounts to keep them up to date, we want to help you maintain your vehicle as best as possible. I'm also searching for quality pre-owned vehicles that I can purchase and add to our inventory. If you've been considering trading in or even selling your Taycan, I think this would be a great opportunity for you. Right now, pre-owned vehicles are worth more than they were in the past and your Taycan might be, too. I'd be happy to do an appraisal of your vehicle while it's here for service, no extra work on your part. I took the time to find you a few vehicles you might be interested in, let me know if I can send you more information about anything in particular. Feel free to call or email me with any questions, I'm always happy to help. Thank you for choosing Porsche of Jacksonville, I look forward to working with you.
I have had this from both the out of state dealer I bought my current car from and the dealer I service it at. The out of state dealer even put a $ amount in a snail mail letter which was $40k below what they were selling a lesser equipped, higher mileage version of the car for (you read that right… 40k). Crickets when I emailed them the link to their used car.

For the dealer I service at, I also emailed them links to the very few used ones available on the west coast and to make a reasonable offer. At least they responded that they would see what they could do and then crickets.

Just goes to show that Porsche dealers can be no different than anywhere else… does anyone fall for this nonsense?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Just picked up my car from the software update. Talked to the Dealership manager, while waiting. Said on his Zoom call on Friday, New 4S in Cali are going for 30-40K over. Told him if he can find a buyer that will pay that premium for a gently used one from Indiana, I'd happily go on the waitlist again.

Crickets. Think he was trying to stroke my ego.
I heard that line too. "Dealers in Cali sell at $30K+ ADM" while the very same dealer telling me this will try to sell at a $5K ADM. I once asked, if you can get $30K ADM, why on Earth are you offering to sell at only $5K ADM?!?

I suspect the $30K ADM is an urban legend that dealers repeat to try to make their ADM's seem lower. Did any Taycan sell at $30K ADM? Perhaps a Turbo S or two at the very release time, though I suspect it is more likely that there were some advertised as such but sold for less.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
If I wanted the chevy or toyota experience I'd be in one of those fine cars
What makes it a Toyota or Chevy experience? You don't think Rolls Royce sales will not suggest cars to their premium customers? I find it very interesting that you find it offensive, or associate it with lower class car. Full disclosure, personally I have no problem with sales people suggesting to me something I might like. That said, have you considered just telling the dealership that you never want to be informed of any available cars, specials, discounts, upgrades, or anything at all unless you specifically ask for it yourself?
Sponsored

Last edited: