Tracking Taycan - Best Settings/Tire Pressures

moto_geek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S w/Sport Package
Country flag
Going to take the Taycan to the track. Being such a heavy vehicle and heavy technology curious get some input some I'm prepared. I've tracked my 991.1 TTS at Novice level.

Here's my Spec:

2020 Taycan 4S with Sport Package (Sport S) with the Continentals

Things I know.. Bring torque wrench.. Tire Gauge/Tire pump. Remove items..

-? Any insight on the tire pressures at say 75 degree cold starting pressure.

-? Any insight on best ride high/drive mode and custom settings to enable?

Thank in advance.

Porsche Taycan Tracking Taycan - Best Settings/Tire Pressures 20220511_093629
Sponsored

OP
OP
moto_geek

moto_geek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good news they have 50amp RV ports at HPR.. :)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
heavy car - don't drop the pressures too much - you'll wear the side walls and they may fail - @ Laguna Seca full pace driving = +5-6 psi pressure raise - I wouldn't drop them much below the door sticker PSI rating given how heavy this car is…

so droop the pressures "cold" to -2 psi from door sticker - take it out and see - if you get above door sticker pressures at end of session - then bleed it back down…

for me it doesn't really matter - only get 7 full pace laps and you've overheated the battery and used 50% battery capacity - so really tire PSI isn't really that big a deal for only 15 min or less time on track.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Going to take the Taycan to the track. Being such a heavy vehicle and heavy technology curious get some input some I'm prepared. I've tracked my 991.1 TTS at Novice level.

Here's my Spec:

Thank in advance.

20220511_093629.jpg
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...d-on-driving-lap-data-impressions-added.2923/

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Here's my Spec:

Thank in advance.

20220511_093629.jpg
what track?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
that's going to be a difficult track day - according to plug share the closest fast chargers are over 30 miles away

given on track consumption - I don't see how uyou can run more than one session - and you'll have to save 40% battery to drive to the nearest fast charger which is 125 kW (probably 400V so you'll need the 400V/150 kW upgrade) it wil take 45 min to get there - 1 hour to charge and 45 min back to the track - 3 hour round trip after your first session.

Logistically I don't see how it's going to work…you can get 6% battery an hour from charging on a NEMA 14-50 at the track - you'll use 50% battery in a 20 min track session - you'll arrive with 75% battery if you top off to 100% at the closest fast charging station on your way to the track - you'll do 1 20 min track session and use 50% battery - and then be at 25% battery to drive 1 hour back to the closest fast charger…and not sure 25% battery will get you to the fast charger - so you'll need to come off early...

unless I"m missing something - you're going to haul your taycan to the track and this will be your schedule
  • 5:30 am - arrive @ CORE Electric CO-OP - spend an hour topping off to 100%
  • 6:30 am - begin drive to HPC from Core Electric CO-OP
  • 7:00 am - arrive HPC down 14 kwh - or 20% battery
  • 7:15 am - plug in Taycan to NEMA 14-50 - begin charging at 9.3 kW
  • 8:15 am - driver's meeting
  • 9:30 am - 2 hours charging will yield +16% battery
  • 9:30 am - go on track with 95% battery
  • 9:50 am - come off track at 45% battery after 10 laps or less
  • 10:00 am - pack up all your stuff for trip back to Core Electric Co-Op??
  • 11:15 am - arrive Core Electric Co-Op - plug in
  • 12:30 pm - depart Core Electric Co-Op to drive back to HPC
  • 1:20 pm - arrive HPC @ 80% battery
  • do the 2 or 3 pm session?
  • 3:30 pm - come off track after another 10 laps with 40% battery
  • pack up and drive home - stopping by Core Electric Co-Op?? again to top off for the drive home?
you can adjust the schedule for the faster EA chargers in the morning - arrive at track @ 7 am and plug in - most track days start at 9 am - so if you're @ track at 7 am - you plug the Taycan in to a NEMA 14-50 and charge from 7 am until your first track session - depnding on where you're coming from you'll arrive at track with 65-85% battery - and you can get 6-8% battery per-hour of charger from a NEMA 14-50 plug - so you'll be able to get back to close to 100% battery for your first track session between 9 and 10 am…

you'll come off track from a 20 or 25 min session at 40-60% remaining battery…you'll need 20-30% battery to get "back" to a fast charger…

so let's say best case you get to 100% before your first session and come off track at 60% battery - you'll pick up 5% charging again between session 1 & 2- going back on track at close to 70% battery - you'll use another 40% battery in an abbreviated session - coming off track at 30% battery - which you'll need to "Keep" to drive to one of the 4 fast chargers 30-60 min away from the track…

I simply don't see it.

again unless I'm missing something.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here are all the fast chargers around HPC…according to plug share

clock wise from the top - color coded based on charger speed…
  • Fort Morgan - EA 47.8 miles - 53 minutes from the track - 350 kW stations - 40 min charging to 90%
  • Akron - Chargepoint - 65.1 miles - 1 hour drive to chargers - 62.5 kW - 80 min charge to 90%
  • Flagger - EA 85.1 miles to track - 1:20 min drive - 350 kW stations - 40 min charge to 90%
  • Limon - under construction
  • Benett - Free EV chargers - likely to be congested mid day - 125 kW - 30.5 miles to chargers - 29 min drive - 125 kW - 60 min to 90% charge
  • Keenesburg - 58.7 miles - 1:02 drive time - Chargepoint 62.5 kW - 80 min charge to 90%
that's it for fast charging - so best case is 1 hour round trip (Benett 125 kW) + charging time to top off battery after one session on track…and you need 20% battery + buffer to get there from the track.

this will be a very very hard track day with very limited track time given consumption and lack of fast charging at/near the track - but I might be wrong. you might get 2 session before you're at 25% battery and need to leave the track to top off…

Porsche Taycan Tracking Taycan - Best Settings/Tire Pressures Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 7.45.25 PM

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you could get 4 session in the day - if you stick to a 25% "on track consumption budget" for each session…and get the car to 100% before the first session

at Laguna Seca that would be 4 laps - an out lap - two full pace laps - and the "in lap" - come in at 75% -

session 1 - 100% - 75%
charge to 80% in hour between session 1 and 2
session 2 - 80% to 55%
charge to 60% in hour between session 2 & 3
session 3 - 60% to 35%
charge to 45% over lunch break
session 4 - 45% to 20%
20% - you'll need this (and maybe more) to leave the track and find a fast charger…

I'm estimating 4 laps for each session.

Laguna Seca is 2.38 miles

hpc has 4 layouts?
2.55 miles
2 miles
1.86 miles
1.28 miles
some elevation changes

if you want to be there all day for 4 of the 5 sessions - the trick will be sticking to an on track consumption budget…25% consumption per-session is your budget - with 5% regained between sessions - so you go out and come off when you hit your 25% "budget" on the battery…charge between sessions (NEMA 14-50 - 6% per hour)

then spend another 25% on the next session

you should be able to get 8-15% battery between the session before lunch and the 1st session after lunch…

you'll need to end your track day - when you have 20-30% remaining power to have enough battery to drive to a fast charger.

OP
OP
moto_geek

moto_geek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
that's going to be a difficult track day - according to plug share the closest fast chargers are over 30 miles away

given on track consumption - I don't see how uyou can run more than one session - and you'll have to save 40% battery to drive to the nearest fast charger which is 125 kW (probably 400V so you'll need the 400V/150 kW upgrade) it wil take 45 min to get there - 1 hour to charge and 45 min back to the track - 3 hour round trip after your first session.

Logistically I don't see how it's going to work…you can get 6% battery an hour from charging on a NEMA 14-50 at the track - you'll use 50% battery in a 20 min track session - you'll arrive with 75% battery if you top off to 100% at the closest fast charging station on your way to the track - you'll do 1 20 min track session and use 50% battery - and then be at 25% battery to drive 1 hour back to the closest fast charger…and not sure 25% battery will get you to the fast charger - so you'll need to come off early...

unless I"m missing something - you're going to haul your taycan to the track and this will be your schedule
  • 5:30 am - arrive @ CORE Electric CO-OP - spend an hour topping off to 100%
  • 6:30 am - begin drive to HPC from Core Electric CO-OP
  • 7:00 am - arrive HPC down 14 kwh - or 20% battery
  • 7:15 am - plug in Taycan to NEMA 14-50 - begin charging at 9.3 kW
  • 8:15 am - driver's meeting
  • 9:30 am - 2 hours charging will yield +16% battery
  • 9:30 am - go on track with 95% battery
  • 9:50 am - come off track at 45% battery after 10 laps or less
  • 10:00 am - pack up all your stuff for trip back to Core Electric Co-Op??
  • 11:15 am - arrive Core Electric Co-Op - plug in
  • 12:30 pm - depart Core Electric Co-Op to drive back to HPC
  • 1:20 pm - arrive HPC @ 80% battery
  • do the 2 or 3 pm session?
  • 3:30 pm - come off track after another 10 laps with 40% battery
  • pack up and drive home - stopping by Core Electric Co-Op?? again to top off for the drive home?
you can adjust the schedule for the faster EA chargers in the morning - arrive at track @ 7 am and plug in - most track days start at 9 am - so if you're @ track at 7 am - you plug the Taycan in to a NEMA 14-50 and charge from 7 am until your first track session - depnding on where you're coming from you'll arrive at track with 65-85% battery - and you can get 6-8% battery per-hour of charger from a NEMA 14-50 plug - so you'll be able to get back to close to 100% battery for your first track session between 9 and 10 am…

you'll come off track from a 20 or 25 min session at 40-60% remaining battery…you'll need 20-30% battery to get "back" to a fast charger…

so let's say best case you get to 100% before your first session and come off track at 60% battery - you'll pick up 5% charging again between session 1 & 2- going back on track at close to 70% battery - you'll use another 40% battery in an abbreviated session - coming off track at 30% battery - which you'll need to "Keep" to drive to one of the 4 fast chargers 30-60 min away from the track…

I simply don't see it.

again unless I'm missing something.
We'll see how it goes.. there is 50amp we rented at the RV site to at least do level 2. The problem since we are both starting out this year in PCA events we both can't drive the same car ( 991 Turbo s) .. in the novice sessions. So the Taycan will be our secondary car so both my wife and I can drive. We are doing Saturday and Sunday so we will for sure charge to 98% in the evenings. Maybe 1.5 hours between sessions where we can gain 8-10%? So that's the situation, I was working to move up into 1 level higher experience class, but I got a flat tire within 2 laps of our our first event.. and on site tire person did not have a matching tire, so chief instructor disallowed running used tire, but tire got us home. :(

BUT, your information you posted is very informative and appreciate the insight. I will add this this and let you know what we experience. Guessing temps will be 70-80 degrees and higher altitude if that's even a factor.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
altitude and temp are non-issues

50 amp charger will get you 8% per-hour of charge maximum - so more like 6 or 7% charge

definately try and top off in the morning on the way to track - and get there as early as possible so you can plug in and begin charging before the 1st session.

the whole issue here is consumption while on track - and what % consumption you have roughly per-lap - it's much higher on track driving than street driving - much much much higher - which is the issue…

good luck!!

OP
OP
moto_geek

moto_geek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@daveo4EV what are your thoughts on ReGEN. Leave it on or off during the track session?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
there is no way to turn regen on/off on the Taycan - if you're referring to the "auto regen" button that's for street driving - I'd leave it off - you don't want the car regening when you're following someone on track…

the Taycan blends braking and uses regen when you are under braking (pressing on the pedal) there is no actual ability to disable regen…put it in sports plus and have fun - and watch your consumption while out on track.
Sponsored