Transitioning from Taycan to Etron GT

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your impressions on the Etron GT. We've been deliberating whether to pull the trigger on an Etron GT or waitlist for the Merc EQE for my wife's replacement car. While she enjoys the ride in our TT, which she finds ridiculously smooth, she prefers, when driving, something that has softer steering and more GT refinements. She finds that the TT requires more driver engagement, a feature that I enjoy.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your impressions on the Etron GT. We've been deliberating whether to pull the trigger on an Etron GT or waitlist for the Merc EQE for my wife's replacement car. While she enjoys the ride in our TT, which she finds ridiculously smooth, she prefers, when driving, something that has softer steering and more GT refinements. She finds that the TT requires more driver engagement, a feature that I enjoy.
What exactly is the time table for the EQE to be released in the US?
the EQS is still scheduled for next year and I thought other models would be subsequent to that.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Well my current update is this: I drove the RS ETron in to work as a "commute" drive. Drove in comfort, kicked in all drive assistance etc on purpose (which I wouldn't usually do on the Porsche, partly because I am DRIVING the car, partly because they were not as great on indication etc).

So the first part: this is by far the smoothest most luxurious ride I have had in any car. It is not at all floaty, it just absorbed and smoothes EVERYTHING while staying very attached to the road. It is a sporty but smooth as glass ride in Comfort. It does have a tiny bit of lateral motion but not much. Its only noticeable compared to the rock steady TSS with anti roll.

The displays on the Audi are superior than the Porsche. The HUD has very clear information, the active assistance displays are clearer, more information is presented, and I don't have to worry about it. And I am not a 100% sure but the Audi lane hold and adaptive cruise seems to perform better than the Porsche. I can set how aggressively it follows curves, it seems to lose the road as much (but to be fair maybe its just improvements from my 2020 to 2022). And it shows more info like when curves are being followed etc. And the steering wheel weighting is much more appropriate for a GT car in this mode.

So for a GT I have to say this car is a winner. All the speed and responsiveness of the TTS with one of the best rides I have had. But to put this in a context I like very stiff riding cars, not ones that bounce and wobble.

Next up: pushing it into the limits.

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What exactly is the time table for the EQE to be released in the US?
the EQS is still scheduled for next year and I thought other models would be subsequent to that.
From what we've been told, late 2022 and with the AMG option, which we're contemplating, arriving in 2023.

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well my current update is this: I drove the RS ETron in to work as a "commute" drive. Drove in comfort, kicked in all drive assistance etc on purpose (which I wouldn't usually do on the Porsche, partly because I am DRIVING the car, partly because they were not as great on indication etc).

So the first part: this is by far the smoothest most luxurious ride I have had in any car. It is not at all floaty, it just absorbed and smoothes EVERYTHING while staying very attached to the road. It is a sporty but smooth as glass ride in Comfort. It does have a tiny bit of lateral motion but not much. Its only noticeable compared to the rock steady TSS with anti roll.

The displays on the Audi are superior than the Porsche. The HUD has very clear information, the active assistance displays are clearer, more information is presented, and I don't have to worry about it. And I am not a 100% sure but the Audi lane hold and adaptive cruise seems to perform better than the Porsche. I can set how aggressively it follows curves, it seems to lose the road as much (but to be fair maybe its just improvements from my 2020 to 2022). And it shows more info like when curves are being followed etc. And the steering wheel weighting is much more appropriate for a GT car in this mode.

So for a GT I have to say this car is a winner. All the speed and responsiveness of the TTS with one of the best rides I have had. But to put this in a context I like very stiff riding cars, not ones that bounce and wobble.

Your insightful comments warrant the need for a test drive at the Audi dealership. Thanks!

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag

TT/TTS have 27 more HP than the RS when not in over boost. Are you saying you feel no difference with throttle responsiveness?
In 0-60 and 1/4mile, the RS is exactly .1 sec slower than the TT

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
TT/TTS have 27 more HP than the RS when not in over boost. Are you saying you feel no difference with throttle responsiveness?
In 0-60 and 1/4mile, the RS is exactly .1 sec slower than the TT
Remember I am not "clocking" the performance with gear, this is "seat of the pants" speed measurement. The TTS caused a little more pain in full acceleration at under 40 mph. Also the Porsche accelerator was curved VERY aggressively in all modes. In the Audi in comfort it curves very nicely (fast but no jarring motion, where in TTS I had to ALWAYS attend to not hurt people). Unless I put my floor down all the way. In dynamic mode it is very similar to the TTS, at least in non launch/drag race scenario.

I mean you put your foot down, everyone stops moving. .1 seconds is not perceivable.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Remember I am not "clocking" the performance with gear, this is "seat of the pants" speed measurement. The TTS caused a little more pain in full acceleration at under 40 mph. Also the Porsche accelerator was curved VERY aggressively in all modes. In the Audi in comfort it curves very nicely (fast but no jarring motion, where in TTS I had to ALWAYS attend to not hurt people). Unless I put my floor down all the way. In dynamic mode it is very similar to the TTS, at least in non launch/drag race scenario.

I mean you put your foot down, everyone stops moving. .1 seconds is not perceivable.
I think the Porsche curve is what makes the TT seem faster than the RS, not the .1sec difference. The pain induced by that curve is what made me fall in love with the Taycan... call me masochistic

The softer gran turismo nature of the RS works better for you

kadwar

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Macan GTS, Audi R8, 2022 Taycan 4S coming
Country flag
Hello all,

After over 1.5 years of being a first time Porsche owner (at the time) of Taycan Turbo S I am about to switch over to the Audi RS Etron GT. The Audi was the car I initially was waiting for, but because the Taycan came out earlier and because of its quality/character and wanting to try out a Porsche that is the car I got. I have been a relatively active member of this forum since then and have to say this is an AMAZING forum, with great people, lots of good information, conversation and humor. And honestly some of the most civil bunch of people (with very minor exceptions) that I have had the pleasure of interacting with.

So why am I doing it? By the numbers the Audi is the less "capable" car. I have no issues with the TTS, it is an amazing piece of kit. I have one of the first release cars and have had almost no issues outside of the usual firmware fixes (and a somewhat sticky charge port door, not a fan of automatic ones). But as capable as the car is something about it never "clicked" for me. Again to be clear this is more about me than the car. On a whim I did go see and drive an RS Etron GT and it finally dawned on me what it was.

My general comment on this forum has been that the TTS or even the TT is "too much" car for most use cases, that a well options 4S is a better choice (outside of drag race creds). For me what never lined up was that TTS drives, acts and feels like a true sports car (almost for track), yet its a large 4 door sedan. And as great as it is in hiding its weight with the active anti roll and all the adaptive suspension it still is a big heavy car. My brain just couldn't put those things together. I am completely happy being in very stiff and uncomfortable 2 seat sports car (and in fact ended up buying a 718 spyder and love that car so am still a Porsche owner).

When I test drove the RS Etron it definitely is comparable but in a different "catagory." The comfort ride/drive is less strict and easier than the Taycan normal mode. In fact I would guess the the "Dynamic" setting comes close to the TTS normal (so its covering a slightly different range of behaviour). It has a higher ride position and even the RS seats are a little more comfortable. But when in dynamic it is still WAY more car than is needed in any kind of fun/road conditions and even on a track. I am sure the TT would do slightly better on a track (that is the comparable car). But that is the issue: I never intend to take the TTS on a track.

So for me the Audi is a more "pure" version of a very fast and sporty GT car. I can drive it in a leisurely road trip, but flip it into aggressive mode to have fun. As for the interiors I prefer the more modern take on the Taycan but the Audi interior is very good and hate to say it the MMI is better (including the displays and cameras).

If anyone is interested here I will be happy to share more observations as I get stick time on the Audi. In my opinion at the end of the day you can not go wrong which one you choose, it simply comes down to what fits you better and maybe aesthetic choices. As much as I appreciate the look of the Taycan I am in the small camp that never found it "beautiful," but as much as the Etron GT is a bit "overdone" I prefer its overall sheetmetal design better.

Hopefully I won't get "kicked out" for my betrayal... :crying:
Wishing you the best. I am going from a Audi Etron Suv to the Taycan because of the lack of range. Audi over promises and under delivers. Porsche does the complete opposite.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@epirali : how rear camera and 360view looks?
I think the camera/image is sharper, but then again the displays are higher quality. And I am comparing a 2020 TTS to a 2022 RS ETron.

But overall the MMI is much nicer, more intuitive, and the everything works "smoother."

Wishing you the best. I am going from a Audi Etron Suv to the Taycan because of the lack of range. Audi over promises and under delivers. Porsche does the complete opposite.
Never liked the Etron SUV, but I believe the Etron GT and Taycan should behave similarly, with the Porsche being a bit more efficient due to the lower profile. I think the Taycan blows away the Audio ETron SUV in every measure, I thought that was an incredibly underwhelming first release by Audi.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Thx, @epirali….it’s a pitty that Porsche doesn’t use (at least) the same quality of displays,cameras,etc… afterall, they are part od the same “family”.
For me personally, Taycan overall looks much (much) better (love it’s curves) than etron GT, so (for me) Audi was never an option.
As being said several times: didn’t expect such “mistakes”… but they are all forgotten when driving starts… :rock:

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wanted to share some more observations and thoughts as I go. The big thing is the steering tightness. The RS ETron even in dynamic is more relaxed. Its just as capable but not as precise feeling/tight. I miss that from the Taycan. And then interestingly that same constant "over precise" and sharp steering is what I didn't LIKE about the Taycan. So the ideal would be for Taycan to be more relaxed in normal, or for the Audi to be more like the Taycan on dynamic. What I am saying is I want it both darnit!

My overarching impression on the Audi is that this is more of a S Etron GT and not an RS. I understand from the "speed" and drivetrain that makes sense, but RS Audis tend to be more towards the Taycan Turbo, and this one I say would be better labeled as an S (for those of you familiar with the Audi family).

Things that I definitely miss from my TTS.

1) The wheel hand warming! I am a big fan, and the Taycan sport wheel had it, the Audi RS wheel does not (the regular one I believe does). I know, I know its minor, but still....

2) The simple "Direct Charge" button on the climate screen. Its not easy to just plug in and say "start charging."

3) The trunk button open/close inside. There is a mechanical open button that does the same, but I used to use the close sometimes.

What I don't miss.

1) The automatic charge port. Don't miss it. No gain, all potential issue, and lose of vent port. I know this is not required and I would not recommend it if you spec anything. Go manual.

2) The trunk foot gesture is SO MUCH better on Audi, it just works. On my TTS anyway it was like 7 out of 10

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I wanted to share some more observations and thoughts as I go.
Just about everyone on this forum wants to know if the backup camera view is better on the Audi, as well, so your impressions on that would be greatly appreciated.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wanted to share some more observations and thoughts as I go. The big thing is the steering tightness. The RS ETron even in dynamic is more relaxed. Its just as capable but not as precise feeling/tight. I miss that from the Taycan. And then interestingly that same constant "over precise" and sharp steering is what I didn't LIKE about the Taycan. So the ideal would be for Taycan to be more relaxed in normal, or for the Audi to be more like the Taycan on dynamic. What I am saying is I want it both darnit!

My overarching impression on the Audi is that this is more of a S Etron GT and not an RS. I understand from the "speed" and drivetrain that makes sense, but RS Audis tend to be more towards the Taycan Turbo, and this one I say would be better labeled as an S (for those of you familiar with the Audi family).

Things that I definitely miss from my TTS.

1) The wheel hand warming! I am a big fan, and the Taycan sport wheel had it, the Audi RS wheel does not (the regular one I believe does). I know, I know its minor, but still....

2) The simple "Direct Charge" button on the climate screen. Its not easy to just plug in and say "start charging."

3) The trunk button open/close inside. There is a mechanical open button that does the same, but I used to use the close sometimes.

What I don't miss.

1) The automatic charge port. Don't miss it. No gain, all potential issue, and lose of vent port. I know this is not required and I would not recommend it if you spec anything. Go manual.

2) The trunk foot gesture is SO MUCH better on Audi, it just works. On my TTS anyway it was like 7 out of 10
IMO The steering is the the worst part of the RS and the best part of the Taycan.
How does the steering compare to the I-Pace? I-Pace steering is fantastic for me in Comfort Mode.

You probably have the RS Year One option that has everything including the Alcantara steering wheel which removes the heating element. The perforated leather in the RS has the heating element, but the Year One can not be changed in anyway.

The observation of labeling it an S instead of RS is spot on. In the ICE line of Audi, there are significant changes between an RS and the rest of the standard line. Flared body panels, suspension upgrades.
The only difference with the Quatrro and the RS is more options and 115hp.
This will be the way of EVs. A single platform with more or less HP and OEM add-ons for differentiators

This is the VW hierarchy downside. There is no room for a true RS because it would be little under the TTS. Its only marketing scheme.
VW will always make Porsche faster than a Audi. Also 911 will be faster than any other Porsche short of the Halo car (918, CGT, 959)
Sponsored