UK Charging Advice

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I will be mainly charging my car at home. However, if I make long trips to the midlands and northwest, please advise which "charging company" memberships or cards I should take. I obviously have the one supplied by Porsche but am wondering if I need any others. Thank you.
Sponsored

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Personally, I wouldn't load up your phone with too many apps just yet. What you do need to do is order your "Taycan Charging Service" card. This gives you access to Ionity chargers at 30p per kWh where the normal cost is 69p per kWh (!). To do this go into your MyPorsche web account and order the "Porsche Charging Service". You get it free for 3 years. The card turns up in a few days.

My favourite app is WattsUp. This allows you to put in your route and it will show you all of the chargers on your route, which network and their availability. It should be available in CarPlay this month as well.

Some tips:-

1. Charge when you can, not when you have to. I always aim to charge at a minimum 20-30% which will give me options if I have any problems with a charging station.

2. Plan ahead - spend 5 minutes deciding where you are going to stop. The best networks are Ionity and Instavolt, followed by any site that offers 150 kW charging. DO NOT rely on the car SatNav to suggest a charger. It knows hardly any of them.

3. Owner Checkins - Both the Plugshare and ZapMap apps encourage people to comment on their charging experience. If you are not sure about a charge site, check it on one of these apps to see if people have had problems.

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’ve started to use a better route planner (ABRP) app.
i have to say, it’s impressive. Yes there is an annual cost but considering the cost of these cars, the subscription shouldn’t stretch us.
Once paid for you can do such things as.
Add your favourite charging brands
Tell it not to use certain charging brands
Enter a minimum SOC at your arrival point and it works out the journey for you

so far it’s proved to be really good.

1AX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T
Country flag
I’ve started to use a better route planner (ABRP) app.
i have to say, it’s impressive. Yes there is an annual cost but considering the cost of these cars, the subscription shouldn’t stretch us.
Once paid for you can do such things as.
Add your favourite charging brands
Tell it not to use certain charging brands
Enter a minimum SOC at your arrival point and it works out the journey for you

so far it’s proved to be really good.
How does the route planner app know your cars current SOC to be able to calculate the minimum SOC when you arrive at the charger?

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
How does the route planner app know your cars current SOC to be able to calculate the minimum SOC when you arrive at the charger?
Click ont he GEAR next to the "Starting Point" and it brings up this menu (see below). You can enter your Departure SoC so that it knows how much charge you intend to leave with from your origin.

Porsche Taycan UK Charging Advice Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 8.45.50 AM

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
my settings are quite detailed. See below.
Porsche Taycan UK Charging Advice 5E1D552F-C6BD-4F67-9863-5AB30A45A730
Porsche Taycan UK Charging Advice 5235DC98-159A-44A9-BC7E-064AD455D94E
Porsche Taycan UK Charging Advice 9B511E1F-79B3-41B6-BB9A-EC4A66A5914F

1AX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T
Country flag
Looks like the app has been designed by somebody with a brain!

Very detailed and thanks for the screenshots

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Yes the ABRP app is good once you set the parameters. The best thing is that it also now is available in the car via CarPlay. Have not tried it yet but it does show on the main nav screen just like all other CarPlay apps. Good start and from this I guess they will integrate further.

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have noticed that the map needs some adjustment to make it fully usable. See attached.
I’ve not used it in anger yet, but as you say.. it’s definitely a step in the right direction.
Porsche Taycan UK Charging Advice 1D2D5274-C40E-4BB6-89CD-0E5CADCF065C
Sponsored