UK EVSE with variable output

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Hello all. A question for the UK members. I know there have been many threads on charging and EVSEs. However I have a specific question.
Do any of you have have an EVSE that does 7kW but that you can manually limit/change the maximum output to whatever you want such as 3kW?
I am moving to an EV tariff with overnight charging and my wife's hybrid will take about 12kWh of charge - so over 4 or 6 hours it will only need to run at 2.5-3kW although it could run at 7kW. However if we charge both cars at 7kW, my solar system batteries (in the winter when there isn't much sun) and run the dishwasher/washing machine etc we could get a bit close to the house's 24kW limit. So limiting a charge to a lower ratecould be a good option.
I have an Andersen EVSE already which does have an adaptive fuse (lowers the charge if the house is using too much) but I would prefer to manually limit a different EVSE if possible.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Hello all. A question for the UK members. I know there have been many threads on charging and EVSEs. However I have a specific question.
Do any of you have have an EVSE that does 7kW but that you can manually limit/change the maximum output to whatever you want such as 3kW?
I am moving to an EV tariff with overnight charging and my wife's hybrid will take about 12kWh of charge - so over 4 or 6 hours it will only need to run at 2.5-3kW although it could run at 7kW. However if we charge both cars at 7kW, my solar system batteries (in the winter when there isn't much sun) and run the dishwasher/washing machine etc we could get a bit close to the house's 24kW limit. So limiting a charge to a lower ratecould be a good option.
I have an Andersen EVSE already which does have an adaptive fuse (lowers the charge if the house is using too much) but I would prefer to manually limit a different EVSE if possible.
The Porsche Mobile Charger Connect can do this and was standard supply in France at least. You just on the display limit the current that the EVSE can draw. And they work just fine in Europe and in particular if you have 3 phase power.

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Porsche Mobile Charger Connect can do this and was standard supply in France at least. You just on the display limit the current that the EVSE can draw. And they work just fine in Europe and in particular if you have 3 phase power.
Hugely overpriced with a poor reputation though - but thanks for the info.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
While I don't have one (I use a Zappi) – it's my understanding the its the single-phase 19kW US variant of the Porsche EVSE that has had all the trouble. I believe the European version (either 7kW 1-phase or 22 kW 3-phase) units have been perfectly fine.

Open to correction.

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
While I don't have one (I use a Zappi) – it's my understanding the its the single-phase 19kW US variant of the Porsche EVSE that has had all the trouble. I believe the European version (either 7kW 1-phase or 22 kW 3-phase) units have been perfectly fine.

Open to correction.
Thanks. The Zappi website doesn't mention anything about reducing current however sites are often vague about their features. I have a friend with a zappi who thought it wasn't possible - but if you are able to do it on yours then clearly it is possible!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Open to correction.
Perfectly fine with 22 kW on Zoe! I do not have the 22 kW option in the car, so only regular use with 11 kW.
I agree it is a huge overpriced heavy brick but once on the wall, it stays there and does its job. Included with the car ( baked into the price in 2020 and compulsory then).

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. The Zappi website doesn't mention anything about reducing current however sites are often vague about their features. I have a friend with a zappi who thought it wasn't possible - but if you are able to do it on yours then clearly it is possible!
Its down in my basement – but I'll grab some screenshots of the display showing the options later and post to this thread.

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Its down in my basement – but I'll grab some screenshots of the display showing the options later and post to this thread.
Thanks. But don't worry - I will take your word for it. Will continue to use my spare Porsche charger + on her hybrid for the moment. Might just need a bit more power if we end up having to charge over 4 hours rather than 6

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a typical UK/Ireland 1-phase 230V supply. The relevant screens on the Zappi work off of Amps, rather than kW.

I live in a large apartment block which is giving us around 15 kW supply to each apartment. This is represented in the Zappi as a 63A grid supply (63Amps at 230v 1-phase supply is 14.72 kW).

Porsche Taycan UK EVSE with variable output Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 21.37.37

Then in the "device limits" screen you can set the maximum Amps you want to pull from the grid. I've ours set to 31.8A (31.8Amps at 230 V 1-phase AC = 7.3 kW).

This value is completely fluid to adjust down to whatever value you wish. I have the 22 kW AC-charger and before a software fix it was advised to keep to 5kW AC charging – so I set the device limit to 22 Amps (equals to 5.06 kW) – and it worked a treat.

Porsche Taycan UK EVSE with variable output Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 21.37.45

All Amp to kW conversion's done via https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Amp_to_kW_Calculator.html

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
PMC+ supplied with the car will do this - there's a 50% button to reduce to 3.2kW.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Didn’t you get one included with your car?
I did.
I have an Andersen at home and plan to use the Porsche one at my daughter’s house, as long as my son-in-law has got a commando socket fitted as planned.
I have only tried it on a standard 13A plug so far, which is laughably slow.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Wallbox pulsar. Very easy to do from app. Just has a circle on home screen you can dial the Amp from 6 to 32 and stays where u left it.

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Didn’t you get one included with your car?
I did.
I have an Andersen at home and plan to use the Porsche one at my daughter’s house, as long as my son-in-law has got a commando socket fitted as planned.
I have only tried it on a standard 13A plug so far, which is laughably slow.
Not a mobile charger connect. Just the mobile charger plus
Sponsored