Unexpected price increase for my Taycan order

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
IIRC the price went up in June. I was lucky and got an allocation the day before (I think) and the price locked. I got the impression that if I had got an allocation a few days later then the price would have gone up. So my current car list price is almost £3k higher than I actually paid. Lucky. I wonder if the OP got an allocation a bit later in June after the price rise was published. When I first bought a Porsche the policy was that the price could go up even after it locked, at least that is what I was told.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
@Jonny , when you actually received an allocation commission, did it not state the model year? In the US, the very first letter of the commission ID indicates which model year the commission is for (e.g. "G" is for MY23) and I believe the Porsche build code you give them needs to match, as options change, get removed, or new options get added between model years. Or did the dealer just auto-converted your build from MY21 to MY23 when they got the commission without telling you? Or does it work totally differently in the UK?

kennykill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan -- waiting for delivery
Country flag
I had this issue but without the spectre of impending delivery.

I was quoted one price for a 22 Taycan with a particular set of options. BEFORE the options lock-in deadline, I was told that only 23 Taycans can be ordered now (this was April) and that correspondingly there was a base price increase of about 5k, which was fine with me.

The difference is I'm not expecting delivery until next month. My point is there is an inherent price difference between a 23' and 22' Taycan apparently, and it's not like the dealer was being dishonest. At least in my opinion.

Hi,
looking for some advice based on anyone that has experienced similar.

I ordered my Taycan (through a leasing company) in June 21 and being told at the time it would be a MY21 model. I found out that because of the delays it would be a MY22 model and therefore the price went up. When I stamped the order in June 22 when the built slot was confirmed I understood that the vehicle price was locked. I now find out 3 weeks before expected delivery that because the model is MY23 I will now incur another price increase. What has really annoyed me is that if I would have found out there would be another price increase as no-one told me. I could have factored that into the final spec, which is obviously now to late.

Anyone else had any issues like this?

Thanks in advance!

poppap

First Name
Pop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Taycan RWD (PNYVW213)
Country flag
Base/options price is directly tied to the allocation model year - once a particular allocation is assigned to you in the Porsche system, that's when the price is locked. Until then you cannot be sure what model year/price you will have to pay.

How the dealership promised one thing but assigned you a different allocation is definitely an issue you will have to deal with the dealership.

Last edited:

tomahawkBE

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
No such increase for me in Belgium, the original price is honored, I ordered in 2021 and I will receive my MY23 CT4 hopefully soon (before the end of the year was promised)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No such increase for me in Belgium, the original price is honored, I ordered in 2021 and I will receive my MY23 CT4 hopefully soon (before the end of the year was promised)
Given the inflation in Belgium is at 12.27% this year and 3.22% in 2021, this is a nice bonus for waiting.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Base/options price is directly tied to the allocation model year - once a particular allocation is assigned to you in the Porsche system, that's when the price is locked. Until then you cannot be sure what model year/price you will have to pay.

How the dealership promised one thing but assigned you a different allocation is definitely an issue you will have to deal with the dealership.
Whilst I thought this was correct I am not sure that it is. I have a MY23 Taycan (just collected) and I got it for the MY22 price. At least I am pretty sure that is what happened. Maybe this year was different because they allocated the remainder of the year's slots in June, just before the price went up. I didn't like to ask too many questions.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Whilst I thought this was correct I am not sure that it is. I have a MY23 Taycan (just collected) and I got it for the MY22 price. At least I am pretty sure that is what happened. Maybe this year was different because they allocated the remainder of the year's slots in June, just before the price went up. I didn't like to ask too many questions.
I think the key difference is the allocation - if you had one when you placed your order with the dealer and, for some reason, Porsche "oversubscribed" (gave your allocation to someone else), then they'd have to honor the price per the agreement (they ate the cost of giving you a newer MY). But without an allocation, there is no contract between you and the manufacturer, so any price increase would be passed on to you (and yours to reject). If, without an allocation, you got the previous MY price then the dealer ate the cost to keep your business.

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Not sure whether it is normal or otherwise but, I had the same experience as you. I ordered in December 21, received my allocation in late June and the price was fixed as a MY22. The MY23 was then announced (July in the UK?) with the price increase and I checked with my SA who informed me that the increase would not affect me.

I have no idea if my dealership were doing me a favour but, there was another thread on here (UK?) where it was discussed at length and the general opinion appeared to be price lock occurred on allocation.

Regardless, it left me with a bit of spare change to throw at the configurator…….as you do. 😉😁

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure whether it is normal or otherwise but, I had the same experience as you. I ordered in December 21, received my allocation in late June and the price was fixed as a MY22. The MY23 was then announced (July in the UK?) with the price increase and I checked with my SA who informed me that the increase would not affect me.

I have no idea if my dealership were doing me a favour but, there was another thread on here (UK?) where it was discussed at length and the general opinion appeared to be price lock occurred on allocation.

Regardless, it left me with a bit of spare change to throw at the configurator…….as you do. 😉😁
Were you offered the option to add new options not available in MY22, such as dashcam pre-wire or LCD roof? If yes, did you order any new options at MY23 prices but your base and other packages stayed at MY22?

I'm asking because Tesla had similar thing happen a few times in their history, and their stance used to be that you keep your old price if the car configuration stays fixed, however if you want to change configuration to take advantage of new options or packages, car gets repriced.

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Were you offered the option to add new options not available in MY22, such as dashcam pre-wire or LCD roof? If yes, did you order any new options at MY23 prices but your base and other packages stayed at MY22?

I'm asking because Tesla had similar thing happen a few times in their history, and their stance used to be that you keep your old price if the car configuration stays fixed, however if you want to change configuration to take advantage of new options or packages, car gets repriced.
Good question and I don’t know the answer unfortunately. I did add a few options (Race-tex, passenger screen) after my allocation but VLC was not one of them. Dashcam re-wire is free of charge in the UK so I optioned it as well. As far as I know, none of the options I ordered after allocation were different in price.
Sponsored