[US] - attempts @ real world testing for 400V > 50 kW - adventures continue - data is shared here!

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
Interesting post. Where did you get the charging history you show in the graph?
Sponsored

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I took photos at the charging UI during the charging session - and then transcribed them into a spread sheet - I logged all the data from the photos for each “%” change - and if there were multiple photos with the same % value - I choose the highest displayed KW for that % ”segment” - at the charge rate you‘re getting more than 1% per minute - so the data log is roughly the charge rate broken down by the min for the 45 min session - as the car got closer to full and the charge rate started dropped I stopped taking pictures as frequently

along side the graph I posted is the raw “data table” the graph is made from - so each value corresponds to a photo that I took.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry @daveo4EV you should update the title of this thread, the charger was not 400 V. I do not have the upgraded DC-DC converter, only the base 50kW version. I too got a peak charging rate of 146kW.
as you also figured out the tag on the side of the charger is not correct, the unit is obviously not 125 amp. Once you figure that then you could figure that the voltage may be wrong as well. This all makes perfect sense as you would know that to get 150 kW at 400 V would require 375 A. They could not possibly be pulling 375 A through that cable that is not water cooled. Solution, it’s a 800 V or maybe 950 V charger. This makes sense why they call it an 80 kW³ on their website. It’s 80kW at 400 V or 160 approximately kilowatts at 800 V, they very well may just clip it at 150 kilowatt. I would speculate the max they can put on those cables is 200 A to be within their specifications at 400 V that is 80 kW.

I did end up having to call EVgo support at the end of my session because I had unplugged the Honda clarity that was using that charger and was it done. I verified it was done on the screen he first drove away and then he came back accusing me of stopping his charge because it was 91%. We called if you go and they explained that the charge was stopped because of the 45 minute max session time Which she was not aware of. I did try asking the EVgo person about why I was getting this rate versus what is posted in their app but she really did not understand. They seem unaware of the fact that some of their chargers are now 800V.

For science I drove 38 miles/45min each way passing 6 150kW Electrify America charging stations.

Departed State (San Jose/Almaden Valley, CA)
1:50pm SoC 39%, Batt 65F, ambient 61F
Arrival State (Foster City, CA)
1:42pm SoC 24%, Batt 80F, ambient 59F
Session
24% to 34%, 7.93kWh in a 3 min session. Only paying $.30 a minute is a deal getting that much power. They’re obviously going to have to change their pricing structure as more 800 V cars come along.

Email summary from EVgo
Feb 14 at 2:48 PM

Dear Ron B,
Thank you for using the charging station at Foster City - 1030 E Hillsdale Blvd, San Mateo, CA. Your charge session has ended. The total duration of this session was 00:03:45 and the energy charged was 7.930 kWh. Your total cost for the session was $0.90.
Notice also that EVgo cords are very short requiring one to Park a Taycan in a rather obnoxious way. As I stayed with the car and would have moved it if there was any conflict I didn’t see it as a problem this time.

Porsche Taycan [US] - attempts @ real world testing for 400V > 50 kW - adventures continue - data is shared here! A7666021-2C7A-4D01-9CB3-AEFAB3D8D359
Porsche Taycan [US] - attempts @ real world testing for 400V > 50 kW - adventures continue - data is shared here! 00E44A8D-8472-456D-9373-B286F1D99E4E

Porsche Taycan [US] - attempts @ real world testing for 400V > 50 kW - adventures continue - data is shared here! 8E5A39FD-3B6E-41A5-BE55-74B4BFD84325

After my short test session I then moved over to an electrify America 4 miles away that was in a Safeway parking lot which allowed me to do some grocery shopping for the wife. Always good to get a few points on Valentines Day and kWh too.
It was not a fabulous session, only about 135kW for most of it then dropping to 100kW for the tail.
Porsche Taycan [US] - attempts @ real world testing for 400V > 50 kW - adventures continue - data is shared here! 9724DD7A-D9B8-4F36-808C-3EB3FE5CFF6D

@yuanshiang and others, my bottom line is that I do not regret in anyway not getting the upgraded DC converter, but it’s everyone’s decision. I know you can see it as an insurance policy and it’s not terribly expensive but I also see it as additional technology in a car that is loaded with the technology. I don’t see the point in adding more when I can’t find a practical place that I would need it. Though I’m still open to be proven wrong.;)

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@ron_b OMG thank you thank you thank you - i love factual data - I’ll update the thread - so the question continues!!!

I’ll keep looking.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
more data - more confusing results

found a >50 kW station in Salinas

https://www.plugshare.com/location/163319
8065 San Miguel Canyon Rd, Salinas, CA 93907

actually accomplished a 100KW 400V charging session - so _RESULT_ - but these charging stations are supposed to be 800V capable - so we don't know why we didn't get an 800V charging session - but the Taycan charged at 95-103 kW from 52% to 91% - station status screens report voltage so we have a confirmed instance of my Taycan charging faster than 50 kW @ 400V session - but it could be a bug that this station did not negotiate an 800V session…

pictures below tell the story

BTW: these chargers are great!! some of the nicest I've ever used - nice user interface, charging session just worked, reasonable pricing - great summary data at the end of the session - great sustained charging rate

the Taycan continues to be a charging champ - with it maintaining >=95 kW charge rate into the high 80% SOC…range - session was 30 some minutes and got from 50'ish % to 91% - 38 kWh added to the battery...

clear result that that my Taycan charged twice as fast at an average rate of 95 kW - but it was only a 400v session due to a potential bug in the Stations software - customer support says they haven't done a lot of testing (probably none) with Taycan's.

Picture #1 - shows 382V @ 251 amps - 96 kW charging rate at the beginning of session
Picture #2 is the very nice summary screen at the end of the session with all the data calculated for you…
Picture #3 is the power disclosure from the station - clearly showing it should be 800V capable.

Porsche Taycan [US] - attempts @ real world testing for 400V > 50 kW - adventures continue - data is shared here! IMG_2376

Porsche Taycan [US] - attempts @ real world testing for 400V > 50 kW - adventures continue - data is shared here! IMG_2392

Porsche Taycan [US] - attempts @ real world testing for 400V > 50 kW - adventures continue - data is shared here! IMG_2378

Last edited:

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
so the result from above are mixed
  • the Taycan clearly benefited from the option because we had a 400V charging session at greater than 50 kW (95-103 kW charge rate observed during session)
  • but that was a "bug" in that the station did. not successfully negotiate or engage an 800V session - which clearly would've charge the Taycan both faster and would've had no need for the option
I'm still a big proponent of the option given it's price and effectively doubling or tripling of potential charge rate when it's used - but I'll have to admit it's proving very very difficult to actually find a station in the wild that fits the criteria

the above charging session benefited from the option, but was it a bug or correct behavior by the charging station…

maybe you get the option because of bugs like this - would a non-optioned Taycan have been restricted to the 50 KW limit due to this bug, or was the bug triggered by the option's presence in my vehicle.

investigation continues, and results continue to be inconclusive - but I'll have to give to the "option not necessary crowd" - it's proving very difficult to find one of these unicorns in the Bay Area set of chargers...

but also factually I just completed a charging session @ 400V and more than 50 kW charge rate - but as to why that happened we just don't know…

I'll continue to post facts/data/experience as I encounter them

I think both sides of this friendly debate still have plenty of talking points and so far no knock out punch has landed...

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
And I will continue to assist in this test also, I will try to arrange a stop at this charger @daveo4EV hit with my Taycan before they fix the 800V negotiation issue.

I had called BTC power to report the problem as well after Dave told me of this behavior as I knew these chargers were supposed to be 800 V from my previous experience with my Chevy I had to use them a few times in the past. Dave sent details of his session so I hope that they will start looking into it.
Sponsored