"VW delays new Porsche Macan EV platform, cuts jobs as software struggles persist" - Article

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
Did you not realize this before you bought it or did your requirements change afterwards?
I did debate it before i pick up the car. But family already invested into the charging set up and we were ready for the EV. I didn't want to do a 90 degrees turn then. I am just waiting for the first snow storm to prove that i made right choice. Will see. After sat through a 2-3 hours service at the lovely Porsche Dealer, the 911 already feels long in the tooth.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
software will be the undoing of Audi/VW/Porsche - mechanical prowess is no longer sufficient…this is painful to watch…the Macan EV is now almost as delay'd as the cybertruck and Tesla products which are notoriously pre-announced and then delay'd for ever (roadster 2.0 anyone? LOL)

wow - simply wow.

Spyerx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
It boggles my mind why people buy a Porsche SUV. The only reason that i can think of is, at least i got a Porsche. But that's just throwing money into a dumpster fire. a Porsche is a sports car. I am 49% regretting my Cross Turismo. I just hope that snow will remind me why i ordered one in the first place.
Why wouldn’t we? They make the best SUVs.
Not sure why you thought a CT4 is a sports car, it’s a big sedan/wagon (I have one). A Maybe you should add a 911 to the garage. They are good. Especially the older ones.

T16ole

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo
Country flag
They need to get their act together on this….id imagine lots of people would step into an Eletre if they’re not careful.

Jono

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, Ducati Panigale V4S
Country flag
It boggles my mind why people buy a Porsche SUV. The only reason that i can think of is, at least i got a Porsche. But that's just throwing money into a dumpster fire. a Porsche is a sports car. I am 49% regretting my Cross Turismo. I just hope that snow will remind me why i ordered one in the first place.
I’ve had 3 Cayennes, a 911 Carrera S, a GT3 , and now Taycan. The Cayennes without a doubt were the best family cars I’ve ever owned. Porsche SUVs have proven themselves over the years and are a great standalone product.

dugbug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bmw 228i, X3
Country flag
Honestly the bmw suvs are just fantastic and way cheaper. I’ve felt the same way about why one would dump so much on a Porsche suv.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Literally true.

I've been surprised it's so popular.
For a person with a dog an estate car (station wagon in USian) is a much better choice than an SUV on our roads, though it is true most UK buyers go for SUVs which is a mystery to me since an ugly heavy car with a huge frontal area isn’t a good compromise for the once or twice a year one may need the load height (or never in my case).

I suspect the reason people buy them, though, is because Porsche don’t do an electric SUV yet.

I do loath the plastic add ons on mine but overall the CT is perfect for my requirements except its width for our roads and parking spaces.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/all-electric/ix/sports-activity-vehicle/overview.html

drove that the other day - it's a good EV SUV…nice interior space - if this had been on the market in 2021 might not have my Cayenne Hybrid…
  • excellent build quality
  • will support supercharging in North America
  • excellent acceleration
  • better software tech
    • supports phone-as-key really really well
    • decent vehicle app
    • wireless carplay
    • snappy in car software - good displays
    • functional and some fun
  • handles decent - better than decent
  • RWS makes it super agile
  • excellent brakes - I tested them
  • has good audible options for the emotional aspect of driving
  • good range
  • decent fast charging speed - but not as fast a taper curve as Taycan (and presumably MacanEV)
  • can buy one today…
  • 11 kW AC L2 onboard charger - and a specifications page that isn't confused by the difference between max capacity of their EVSE vs. their vehicle's onbaoard charger.
  • one-pedal driving option or coasting - your choice as a driver
  • infotainment software is really really good vs. Porsche PCM
  • kina "meh" in normal mode -but put drive mode in sport and the car comes alive - was really really a hoot
really honestly a great option vs. watching Porsche flail at digital

given the better software tech and a decent mechanicals (better than average and still german) one might say I'd prefer it over a MacanEV even _IF_ the MacanEV would ever come to market.

honestly I don't believe Porsche's heart is "in it" when it comes to EV's - they seem more focused on eFuel and making ever increasing numbers of 911 variants that are so limited normal people have no chance of getting one…

Drove the BMW i4 sedan also - was super good - lots of good things - got back in my Taycan - and while the Taycan was better - it wasn't as far ahead better as it should have been - the BMW i4 is super close to almost great - car comes alive in sport mode - and their software doesn't suck as hard and they have a clue regarding supercharging. Taycan is better - but the BMW is damn good…and given some more practical concerns vs. pure driving it might be a better choice - certainly a more affordable choice.

Last edited:

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What do you think of te Lotus eletre? I drove the car yesterday and it is a superbe SUV EV
Got an R order. Locked the spec. in last month. Wont be here until 'sometime in Q1' though.

Before its said, definitely not a replacement for the Taycan, but for our long term Tesla Model X, which I sold a couple of weeks ago.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
honestly I don't believe Porsche's heart is "in it" when it comes to EV's - they seem more focused on eFuel and making ever increasing numbers of 911 variants that are so limited normal people have no chance of getting one…
I suspect most of the people who went to work at Porsche didn't dream of someday producing EVs., and so it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the leadership would embrace alternatives like efuels (however unrealistic those alternatives may be in the long run).

If they were smart they'd keep one foot in both worlds - produce EV Cayennes and Macans for the masses and continue to create very high-end and niche ICE vehicles for enthusiasts. ICE vehicles aren't going away... they're just going to become like mechanical watches and high-end audio equipment... toys for rich people nostalgic for the past and wanting a higher end experience than what the digital world offers. But I suspect most Macan and Cayenne owners (no offense to any owners here - but most of them are just grocery getters and aren't carving up mountain roads getting there) don't care about their cars' powertrains much as long as they can get where they need to be.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I suspect most of the people who went to work at Porsche didn't dream of someday producing EVs., and so it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the leadership would embrace alternatives like efuels (however unrealistic those alternatives may be in the long run).

If they were smart they'd keep one foot in both worlds - produce EV Cayennes and Macans for the masses and continue to create very high-end and niche ICE vehicles for enthusiasts. ICE vehicles aren't going away... they're just going to become like mechanical watches and high-end audio equipment... toys for rich people nostalgic for the past and wanting a higher end experience than what the digital world offers. But I suspect most Macan and Cayenne owners (no offense to any owners here - but most of them are just grocery getters and aren't carving up mountain roads getting there) don't care about their cars' powertrains much as long as they can get where they need to be.
I’m offended. First of all, when I had my Cayenne, it was to drive my kids back and forth from school every day. Trips to the grocery store were once, maybe twice, a week, at most. 😉

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

As a petrolhead of over 50 years standing I seem to have an unusual point of view.

I chose the Taycan because an electric motor is SO much better for a road car than an IC engine, the downside is battery, admittedly, but overall much better IME.

I have had a lot of nice cars over the years and have no interest in ever using an IC engined car for anything other than short fun trips and track days.
It probably does need to be an old one or one designed for fun like Gordon Murray’s offerings because modern efficient IC engines are high boost low revving turbos which I hate with a deep burning passion. They sound awful and have uninteresting throttle response.

The one place I don’t see as good for electric (or hybrid sadly) is motor sport where most of the benefits are not needed and the downside ruins the chassis. I am not the only ex-Formula 1 (or current) designer who believe this but money, money, money.

I have zero interest in all the gadgets you can and often do get on modern EVs (and just modern cars) but the power train and controllability I love.

The Taycan is overall the best road car I have ever driven.

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
For a person with a dog an estate car (station wagon in USian) is a much better choice than an SUV on our roads, though it is true most UK buyers go for SUVs which is a mystery to me since an ugly heavy car with a huge frontal area isn’t a good compromise for the once or twice a year one may need the load height (or never in my case).

I suspect the reason people buy them, though, is because Porsche don’t do an electric SUV yet.

I do loath the plastic add ons on mine but overall the CT is perfect for my requirements except its width for our roads and parking spaces.
the plastic clasd are a blessing in my case. My weeks old Cross Turismo was hit by a tourist on the rim. If it's not for the pastic, there would had been paint and surface damaged to the fender. The pastic is scratched up but they are much cheaper to replace. Long story short, i now drive even slower so other people won't be surprised.
Sponsored